Alternative to hotel in Manhattan

There is a La Quinta in Long Island City for $130 and also a Howard Johnson for the same price. All my prices were before taxes. The Penn Station Hilton seems great too! I can't believe I'm looking at some lower class hotels like Choice because I typically prefer nicer hotels for a few bucks more, so something like the Hilton seems more my style. But I'm also not used to these high rates.

I'm from Salt Lake City. As such, most of my travel is to Vegas, and CA cities, etc. I've been to NYC once about five years ago and only for a few days. I did study abroad in St. Petersburg, Russia for 2 years. Public transportation is the only choice and there are many different options to choose including a multiple line subway system. I have a good friend in Boston (your home turf 138east!) and I've visited him a few times. The friend I am travelling with and I are both in our late 20's. We prefer sleek and modern to cozy and family friendly. Once I book a hotel I'll spend time online researching the different ways to get around and also have my iphone with gps on me to ensure we're following the

Don't lose sight of the big picture. You have to figure the total cost of your hotel room AND the transportation as well as the time and stress factor. If you fly into LGA, there is no easy public transportation anywhere - most folks take a cab to their hotel and a cab back to the airport after the cruise. Folks on this forum can provide the details of public transit to LGA. Staying in downtown Newark you have no cab to your hotel and the possibility of public transit almost to the port (cheapest would be Path to WTC, C train to 50th St. and walk 4 avenues and a couple of streets, but most folks would take the train to NY Penn Station and a cab) . There are multiple public transit choices back to Newark Airport - not all of them super convenient, but they are there (i.e. walk 4 avenues to the subway, C train to WTC $2.25), WTC to Newark ($1.75), #62 bus to the airport ($1.50)

Ouch. Are you serious? $600 a night seems too high....jeez, sorry for the OP on that one.

Since you are staying downtown, check out this website: http://www.downtownny.com/

Lots of freebies and GREAT information about the Financial District. There is more to do downtown than you could possibly imagine aside from the Statue of Liberty, Brooklyn Bridge, South Street Seaport, Maratime Musuem, etc than most people overlook.

FWIW, if you are good with luggage, take the subway downtown from Penn Station. It is much quicker than a cab and you will not have to schlep all your luggage up the steps until you get to the subway station downtown.

I found rates for the OPs dates at the Embassy Suites Downtown for $373 for the 23rd to the 25th, however, those rates are still ridiculous. There are tons of other hotels in Manhattan for 250ish (which the OP doesnt want to spend). Try Expedia and Hotwire and do 3 star for Mahattan and/or try near the airport you are traveling into. To answer one of your initial questions OP, no, you cannot get a hotel with a private bathroom for 149 that isnt scary on the UWS or Midtown.

Of course you can find them cheaper off the above listed sites but my point to JohnJen is that the OP is going in peak season and his dates were obviously off peak.

No harm no foul.

I still vote for Homewood Suites, Edgewater...I was down there tonight had dinner at Flemings Steak House in the Hudson River. Then call GW Taxi in Fort Lee their facebbok page has very reasonable flat rates to and from the airports and the Port. I have used thm many times and they are very reliable and reasonably priced. Local hotels and car services work really well together in this area.

Andrea

mommyto2girls - you've offering a reasonable and rational plan. Unfortunately the OP is from an area of the country where hotel rooms are inexpensive and he is having difficulty understanding and coping with the price of hotel rooms and transportation in the NYC area. What's the total price of car services from Homewood Suites to EWR or LGA? I'm guessing in the $60-70 range plus tolls and tip. The ferry is $17 each way. It adds up fast. Also, how do you communicate the difference in the quality of the room you would get between a Long Island City hotel and an Edgewater (Homewood), Secaucus, or a better Newark Airport hotel?

He's hoping to score a deal on Priceline or Hotwire and I hope he is successful. Unfortunately, prices have been pretty steady for NY - I haven't seen many deals recently or drops in price. Perhaps he will get lucky, but he should have a plan B he can live with.

Hey, all. Really, the airports aren't really an issue. We can fly into pretty much JFK, LGA, EWR, or SWF for about the same price. So, it appears we should try to find a hotel first and then match our airports to the hotels. First, refundable hotels to keep in case we find no good deals. I searched Radisson, Holiday Inn, Best Western, Hilton, Marriott, Sheraton, Wyndham, Hyatt, and Choice Hotels. We prefer either two beds or one king, but not one queen only, so when I quote prices I list the cheapest of our bed requirements that is available. Rates are all refundable and an average daily rate for 9/23 and 9/24. In Long Island City there is a Country Inn and Suites for $140, a Fairfield Inn and Suites for $169, a Best Western Plaza Hotel for $125 a night, or a Comfort Inn or Quality Inn for $160. In Weehawken/Edgewater there is Comfort Inn for $130. I could try calling the Homewood Suites and see if they could offer something better as mommyto2girls said. Are any of these options jumping out at anyone?

Should I be totally ignoring Secaucus and Brooklyn? I ask because there is a good deal from the Book It site that has a "brand new" Best Western Arena hotel for $130 a night in Brooklyn on 1324 Atlantic Avenue that has only a $20 fee if I cancel before 9/21. There are also other hotel prices under $200 in these areas. I saw 138east mention Sheraton Meadowlands that but I have been ignoring that area because I wasn't sure if Secaucus was convenient or not. In looking at a map of the area I see how big Brooklyn is and how far away it is from Midtown so maybe that isn't the best option. It it seems Secaucus is far too, though.

Once I get this refundable fare settled I'll begin bidding to see what I can find.

I know, I know, so many questions. You really are all lifesavers and making this trip possible for us non New Yorkers who get so confused with all the different options. As always, thanks a million!!

Trust me--you do not want to stay in the" Brand new Best Western " on Atlantic Ave!!!

OP

You are 20 somethings flying in from SLC. You can handle your luggage/public transport.

You are tech saavy and not intimidated by the "big city". You can walk to subways/buses.

While Long Island City and Secaucus are not recommended for quite a few cruisers, you will be fine in either area.

If it was my trip, I think I would stay in Long Island City. Artsy area, good street "vibe" for 20-30 somethings. Long Island City still has a lot of warehouse areas and some really "iffy" areas and I sure wouldn't recommend it for those not familiar with big cities/public transport, etc. But from your description of yourself, you are much more apt to feel comfortable in a neighborhood that is only partially gentrified. But BE CAREFUL which hotel you pick. Those WEST of Greenpoint Ave offer the best options for public transport to Manhattan without walking miles through some pretty iffy neighborhoods.

We just delivered food products to this place Friday. My husband/wife team said it was a pretty spiffy hotel. Right on the water, free shuttle to the water taxi and other places. CHEAP transport from LGA (save about $10.00 over a cab). And the prices look pretty good for a very chic boutique type hotel. http://www.ravelhotel.com/default.aspx?pg=home&hid=1254&vl=48650f52-73fe-46c7-9430-e6ab1f064ff5&rp=rooms

Greatam always gives great advice. By looking at the map on the website you can see you can either walk or take the free shuttle to the main hubs of the subway system.

OP

You are 20 somethings flying in from SLC. You can handle your luggage/public transport.

You are tech saavy and not intimidated by the "big city". You can walk to subways/buses.

While Long Island City and Secaucus are not recommended for quite a few cruisers, you will be fine in either area.

If it was my trip, I think I would stay in Long Island City. Artsy area, good street "vibe" for 20-30 somethings. Long Island City still has a lot of warehouse areas and some really "iffy" areas and I sure wouldn't recommend it for those not familiar with big cities/public transport, etc. But from your description of yourself, you are much more apt to feel comfortable in a neighborhood that is only partially gentrified. But BE CAREFUL which hotel you pick. Those WEST of Greenpoint Ave offer the best options for public transport to Manhattan without walking miles through some pretty iffy neighborhoods.

We just delivered food products to this place Friday. My husband/wife team said it was a pretty spiffy hotel. Right on the water, free shuttle to the water taxi and other places. CHEAP transport from LGA (save about $10.00 over a cab). And the prices look pretty good for a very chic boutique type hotel. http://www.ravelhotel.com/default.aspx?pg=home&hid=1254&vl=48650f52-73fe-46c7-9430-e6ab1f064ff5&rp=rooms

Oh, thanks for this, greatam. While we're much older than the OP, this is our kind of place if we ever need to book. ;)

It's my kind of place, too. We have delivered there before, but generally my single male drivers don't get too "into" hotels and things, so I really didn't have a clue what it was like. The building used to be part warehouse/part slum housing about 15 years ago. Absolutely fantastic renovation.

But my two female drivers and my husband and wife teams generally let me know if they find something special.

I looked at the menus. Not bad prices at all for NYC. Sunday brunch-$20-all you can eat. That is a bargain when brunches in the City can easily run $50-75.00pp. The view is almost as good as the River Cafe.

mommyto2girls - you've offering a reasonable and rational plan. Unfortunately the OP is from an area of the country where hotel rooms are inexpensive and he is having difficulty understanding and coping with the price of hotel rooms and transportation in the NYC area. What's the total price of car services from Homewood Suites to EWR or LGA? I'm guessing in the $60-70 range plus tolls and tip. The ferry is $17 each way. It adds up fast. Also, how do you communicate the difference in the quality of the room you would get between a Long Island City hotel and an Edgewater (Homewood), Secaucus, or a better Newark Airport hotel?

He's hoping to score a deal on Priceline or Hotwire and I hope he is successful. Unfortunately, prices have been pretty steady for NY - I haven't seen many deals recently or drops in price. Perhaps he will get lucky, but he should have a plan B he can live with.

I guess one can only say...I personlly would not stay in a hotel room in Long Island City but you are right. Born, raised and still living here it is easier to get the big picture. I just have a hard time putting a price on safety and cleanliness..but your point is well taken.

Great info! Thanks.

Now, if I could only find a brunch here for $20!

If we cruise from Bayonne on the Silhouette, most likely we will use Amtrak and a car service or taxi to the port the day of the cruise, leaving very early in the a.m. But, if we would ever choose to head north the night before....

Will the Path get you from Ravel to Bayonne or am I way off?

Mapquest says about 16 miles, but I'm not sure a taxi will do the NY to NJ drive.

I read all of these Cape Liberty posts, but outside of Manhattan (which I'm familiar with) it all becomes jumbled to me. We will never fly into NJ or NY because the train is much more convenient for us.

Just adding...Ravel TripAdvisor reviews are not stellar.

I think I've already changed my mind about this hotel, just from seeing the surrounding exterior pics. We have no issues with gentrification, but maybe by the time the Silhouette sails, things will have changed.

How do you all feel about this option? Seems alright to me.

The cruise is from 9/25 to 10/3. Stay one night before the cruise on 9/24 and two after on 10/3 and 10/4 then fly out 10/5 (which by the way is 1 day before my 30th birthday!!). On 9/24 the Homewood Suites in Edgewater is $164 total. I know there's some question about whether this is the best option so if there's some other suggestions that's great. There is also the Newark Penn Station Hilton for $145 as quoted by 138east. Then, on 10/3 and 10/4 I can get an advance non refundable rate at Country Inn and Suites in Long Island City for $94 total per night. I'm sure this is a pretty budget hotel, but it has pretty good reviews for location as well as size/quality of the rooms but not good reviews for staff. Reviews say it's only a 10 minute walk to the subway and 15 minutes on the subway to Times Square.

The thing about Homewood Suites in Edgewater is the cost of transportation that 138east is talking about. We would be staying there just one day so maybe it wouldn't be that bad. But would transportation be that much cheaper than the Penn Station Hilton? Plus, I don't see any better options when I search for hotels on travel sites. Of course, there could be things that make sense that I'm not seeing because I don't know what areas to look for beyond Long Island City and Edgewater/Weehawken.

Again, which airports we use don't seem to be a big issue. Though, if we were to fly into EWR for the Hilton the first night our only option for a return flight would be out of Stewart Airport. The website for that airport shows public transportation, but is this really a smart option? Just to give you an idea, if we were to fly in and out of Stewart we would pay $306 total, a combination of Stewart and JFK (either in Stewart and out of JFK or vice versa) is $345, in and out of LGA is $350, a combo of EWR and Stewart is $365, into Stewart and out of JFK is $384, in and out of JFK is $387, and into LGA and out of JFK is $394. I don't want to open the "JFK vs LGA" can of worms, so let's try not to. :D I'm sure there's plenty of threads about that, right? Haha!

So, if you were me and you had these options what would you all do?!

If you are talking about the Stewart Airport in Newburgh, NY--it's not at all close to the city---about 1&1/2 hrs away by car. I would opt for in and out at any of the 3 local airports, Ewr, Lag or JFK if at all possible. Your in and out of Lag seems to make the most sense. Any savings by going in and out of Stewart would be used up by transportation to NYC.

FORGET ANY flights into/out of Stewart unless you just want to see Newburgh, NY. Waste of your money and certainly a waste of time. You will eat up just about the $100 difference in fare just in transportation costs trying to get to/from NYC, not counting the hassle.

Approx 100 miles NW of NYC off I-84/I-87. Skybus tried using Stewart as "NYC" Passengers were really, really ticked when they found out they were in for a two hour bus ride.

Since you are sailing out of Manhattan, stay someplace around Manhattan and fly into LGA.

FORGET staying in NJ-the transport costs will eat you up. From EWR to Edgewater-probably $70 + tolls for a NJ taxi. From LGA-probably about $90 + tolls. From JFK-probably about $125.00 + tolls. And trying to get to Edgewater from EWR on public transport could be a real pain. Plus the back and forth to go sightseeing??? Too much effort and money for what you want to do.

Your suggestion about Country Inn and Suites in LIC is OK if you are going for budget (not particularly the hotel but the location is definitely budget). La Quinta is in a better location even though it is more expensive.

Be aware that the neighborhood is almost all warehouses with a lot of truck traffic. You will be walking through some "iffy" areas to/from subway/bus. And pay attention-a lot of the buses/subways from that area ONLY run during "commuter hours", so you may be waiting a long time for buses/subways. Where LIC has been gentrified with a good street vibe is around Hunters Point, south of the Queensboro Bridge

Great, thanks for the tips. So if I stay in LIC then LGA is the best airport? LGA is about $38 cheaper than JFK for us at this point. The La Quinta at 37-18 Queens Blvd is $112 a night *before* taxes (their site won't let me see the total price until I give them my CC#?!). I think the lower price for Country Inns makes sense. It also boasts nice city views which would be cool for us to see (if we are lucky enough to get a room facing the city). Based on the pics of the La Quinta building, I don't see them offering city views. ;)

Be aware that the neighborhood is almost all warehouses with a lot of truck traffic. You will be walking through some "iffy" areas to/from subway/bus. And pay attention-a lot of the buses/subways from that area ONLY run during "commuter hours", so you may be waiting a long time for buses/subways.

I've held my own against drunk/high/desperate Russians for two years. I know how to act when walking at night in scary places. And the light rail trains here in Salt Lake City only come once every 15-30 minutes so I will be fine with waiting and/or scheduling these, I think.

Great, thanks for the tips. So if I stay in LIC then LGA is the best airport? LGA is about $38 cheaper than JFK for us at this point. The La Quinta at 37-18 Queens Blvd is $112 a night *before* taxes (their site won't let me see the total price until I give them my CC#?!). I think the lower price for Country Inns makes sense. It also boasts nice city views which would be cool for us to see (if we are lucky enough to get a room facing the city). Based on the pics of the La Quinta building, I don't see them offering city views. ;)

Fly into LGA.

PLEASE READ THE FINE PRINT!!! The City View rooms are high up in any hotel in Long Island City. The area is filled with 2-4 story warehouses, some taller. City View rooms must be SPECIFICALLY booked at most hotels and definitely at Country Inn and Suites-city view rooms are a separate booking category. From the Country Inn and Suites website:

"City View King Rooms offer unobstructed views of the New York City skyline and a comfortable king bed, as well as a refrigerator, microwave and 32" flat-screen LCD TV. These rooms provide couples, groups and business travelers with an unforgettable stay."

Booking the advance rate, King room most likely WILL NOT get you a city view room. And there sure won't be any "city view" from the lobby.

I've held my own against drunk/high/desperate Russians for two years. I know how to act when walking at night in scary places. And the light rail trains here in Salt Lake City only come once every 15-30 minutes so I will be fine with waiting and/or scheduling these, I think.

EXACTLY why I suggested you stay in LIC.

Of course you can find them cheaper off the above listed sites but my point to JohnJen is that the OP is going in peak season and his dates were obviously off peak.

No harm no foul.

Another thing I forgot to mention that probably helped is that we booked those two nights back in March timeframe for July 10/11 respectively. Of course I "quoted" a pretend fee I "found" on an ad, but the desk clerk doesn't know any better and is already told by the hotel staff what is an acceptable price to take over the phone.

PLEASE READ THE FINE PRINT!!! The City View rooms are high up in any hotel in Long Island City. The area is filled with 2-4 story warehouses, some taller. City View rooms must be SPECIFICALLY booked at most hotels and definitely at Country Inn and Suites-city view rooms are a separate booking category.

Yeah, I saw that too on their site. And with their less than stellar customer service reviews I'm not counting on them doing any favors for us. It doesn't specifically say that the advance rates are non city view so we'll give the staff an endearing wink and flash our pearly whites at check in and cross our fingers! Haha. Even without city views it still seems like the best option to me.

Sounds like you are zeroing in on a plan. Please let us know how it works out - a short review of your experience would be very helpful. We know a lot about staying in NJ, but not much about Long Island City. To get to the port, you should be able to take a train from Queensboro Plaza and get near 49th St. in Manhattan where you can transfer to the M50 bus over to 12th Avenue by the pier.

Archived