AARP Magazine- Class action suit against Carnival

blyle

They're all going to be heartily disappointed when the millions they envision turn into thousands and then hundreds as the lawyers take more and more of a cut.

Over even more so when it turns out to be $50 OBC if booked with 12 months of the when it occurred......wait that was 14 months ago.:eek:

They're all going to be heartily disappointed when the millions they envision turn into thousands and then hundreds as the lawyers take more and more of a cut.

Assuming they win.

They have no case.....I really enjoyed my 2 for 1 deal on the Victory back in April, along with my welcome back credit. :D

What are they actually trying to sue over? Mexico was closed...where were they supposed to go?

Assuming they win.

They have no case.....I really enjoyed my 2 for 1 deal on the Victory back in April, along with my welcome back credit. :D

What are they actually trying to sue over? Mexico was closed...where were they supposed to go?

The Great Pacific Trash Pile?

Not entirely. While the vessels aren't tagged in the US, the corporation is US-based. They do pay taxes, registration fees, etc. etc. etc. on the corporate end. As per their annual report, they paid 16 million in taxes in 2009 and 48 million in taxes in 2008.

And that's not even counting the taxes their shareholders paid on their dividends.

Are you sure that was paid from cruiseship revenues? Remember the rate a corporation pays and those amount seem very low.

Carnival corporation & PLC is who they are and each brand is also seperated but included.I was at the shareholder meeting.Its not that simple.

Steve

Are you sure that was paid from cruiseship revenues? Remember the rate a corporation pays and those amount seem very low.

Carnival corporation & PLC is who they are and each brand is also seperated but included.I was at the shareholder meeting.Its not that simple.

Steve

Those numbers were pulled from the Carnival Corp. 2009 annual report as posted on the SEC's website:

http://www.sec.gov/cgi-bin/viewer?action=view&cik=815097&accession_number=0001193125-10-016470

Carnival plc's numbers are the same:

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/815097/000119312510016470/dex13.htm

Was the catering any good at the Annual Meeting?

Let's see...

Isn't this a case of suing the wrong people....Wasn't it if I remember right a case of the US Gov. saying "Don't go to Mexico" because some peoople in Mexico City died from the swine flu ????

My cruise on the Glory that week got changed from western to eastern Carib. with a port dropped. I got twenty bucks and I'm not suing.....

Back though to why Carnival and other cruiselines or US airlines didn't go there.....Did or did not the US Gov. say.....DON'T GO THERE YOU MIGHT DIE OR INFECT EVERYONE ELSE IN THE US AND WE'LL ALL DIE......

Honest though...They weren't being alarmests....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Oh yes....Ron Pass's theme song for the Splendor to San Fran "Swine Flu" cruise....

Very funny......It is obvious some eople still try to make the best of times no matter what happens....

That song was great.

Those numbers were pulled from the Carnival Corp. 2009 annual report as posted on the SEC's website:

http://www.sec.gov/cgi-bin/viewer?action=view&cik=815097&accession_number=0001193125-10-016470

Carnival plc's numbers are the same:

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/815097/000119312510016470/dex13.htm

Was the catering any good at the Annual Meeting?

I did not partake.

They made a billion dollars in profit and 18 million would not be the tax if that were being taxed as a US corp..

Here's the actual info on their paying taxes......

Carnival Cruise Lines, Princess, Holland America Line and Seabourn are primarily subject to the income tax laws of Panama, Bermuda, the Netherlands Antilles and Bermuda, respectively. As a general matter, the laws of Panama and the Netherlands Antilles exempt earnings derived from international ship operations and Bermuda does not have an income tax. With respect to the U.S. domestic law exemption, Section 883 regulations limit the types of income deemed to be derived from the international operation of a ship that are exempt from income tax. Accordingly, our provision for U.S. federal and state income taxes includes taxes on a portion of our ship operations, in addition to the transportation, hotel and tour business of Holland America Princess Alaska Tours

Steve

I did not partake.

They made a billion dollars in profit and 18 million would not be the tax if that were being taxed as a US corp..

Here's the actual info on their paying taxes......

Steve, those are the numbers from their audited financials, as reported to the SEC, as you can clearly see from the EDGAR filings I linked to -- yes, that's actually the SEC's website. If you think there's a problem with those numbers, feel free to contact the SEC about it.

Steve, those are the numbers from their audited financials, as reported to the SEC, as you can clearly see from the EDGAR filings I linked to -- yes, that's actually the SEC's website. If you think there's a problem with those numbers, feel free to contact the SEC about it.

I always thought EDGAR in only the best terms....heck of a guy;)

If Carnival ever built another Fantasy class ship it would be the Carnival Litigation. :D

Oh noooooo. We are not going to jump into the truly tasteless jokes like: What do you call 50 lawyers in a sinking boat....a good start.... are we:confused:

No don't get me wrong, I am not saying the numbers are wrong.You are 100% right in what you posted.What I am saying is that Carnival corp. has its operations broken up into individual divisions in an effort to avoid taxes.Yes there is a US corporate operation that does pay US corporate taxes,but the majority of their operations do not,thus 1 billion in profit and only 18 million in taxes to the US.

Steve

The Great Pacific Trash Pile?

An accumulation of trash (mostly plastic bottles and containers) about twice the size of Texas caught up in a "gyre", a sort of slow whirlpool of ocean currents that eventually leaves them in a no current situation all massed together.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Pacific_Garbage_Patch

I just thought it was interesting that AARP would jump in and say that it had to do with seniors.

We were also on this cruise (my mom, DIL and a BFF) for a week of fun! We had a suite for the 4 of us.

Maybe AARP doesn't remember this, but from what I remember, the Swine flu was mostly concerning the age groups of the very young and the elderly.

I was thankful to Carnival that we didn't get off the ship for my mom's sake. I was concerned that if we chose to stay on, she still could have got infected by a fellow passenger during the week we were all on the ship together.

I wonder if the couple suing had been allowed to get off the ship in Mexico, would they have started a class action lawsuit for getting the swine flu if had they been exposed?

I felt the compensation by Carnival was very fair and we will be using our discount on the 25th of this month.

The funniest thing on this cruise was no one was prepared for colder weather, so as we were sitting on our balcony the morning we arrived in San Francisco, we noticed quite a few departing the ship for the day in their Carnival Cruise robes....

We made the best of it and had a great time anyway, the ship was great and thanks to Ron Pass (our favorite Piano Bar entertainer), we have absolutely no complaints!

Happy cruisen

Chris

Archived