Penthouse Suites---? Your experiences?

Toranut97

I may never leave my PH on our 10/01/10 sailing. We have stayed in both and of course prefer the PH because of the room and service. We didn't use our butler too often. He was there when we called but so was the cabin stewart in the regular cabins. I like the idea of dinner in our suite.

I may never leave my PH on our 10/01/10 sailing. We have stayed in both and of course prefer the PH because of the room and service. We didn't use our butler too often. He was there when we called but so was the cabin stewart in the regular cabins. I like the idea of dinner in our suite.

I suppose that I could pick a nit about it being a cabin STEWARD and not a cabin STEWART, but then I remember that this is the Cruise Line where OCEANIA is supposedly pronounced as OH-SHEE-ANN-UH.

So who knows? In time, the alternate pronunciation may become the mark of the savvy traveler, in much the same way that Cunard prefers to be called KEW-NARD :rolleyes:

...then I remember that this is the Cruise Line where OCEANIA is supposedly pronounced as OH-SHEE-ANN-UH.

So who knows? In time, the alternate pronunciation may become the mark of the savvy traveler... :rolleyes:

Hey, Jim, I definitely am a savvy traveler, :p , and definitely always use the above pronunciation for my favorite (and so far only :)) cruise line.

On our first Oceania cruise (not the first one booked but the first one that happened), a crewmember specifically called it O-SHE-AN-I-A. This was February 2004.

I never have pronounced it that way myself ... Well they did start out wanting to spell it Oceana ... and I have never heard it pronounced that way since.

But he sure did!

On our first Oceania cruise (not the first one booked but the first one that happened), a crewmember specifically called it O-SHE-AN-I-A. This was February 2004.

I never have pronounced it that way myself ... Well they did start out wanting to spell it Oceana ... and I have never heard it pronounced that way since.

But he sure did!

Not quite sure of all the inner workings, but there was some confusion early on. P & O has a ship named "Oceana" and when Oceania Cruises started up, it become clear that two similar names just wouldn't do!!

Therefore, every effort was made to even spruce up the pronouncing of the line to O-SHE-AN-I-A. Seems to have worked and everyone lived happily everafter!! :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
If you are staying in a suite, do you have FREE internet access?

We are in a Vista Suite and it says there is a Dell laptop computer

and wireless accsess. Is there a charge for this?

Skip

No free internet, in fact it is way overpriced regardless of cabin.

True, the internet is overpriced and not free ... they're just providing you with the use of the laptop. (They've done that in Vistas and Owners' Suites for a long time now but more recently expanded the privilege to Penthouses ... but you still pay for the privilege.)

I boarded Insignia on July 23rd and when I went up to the Internet Cafe to sign up for my package the official word was that the faster internet was due to be installed mid-August. I wasn't too happy about that since we were to leave the ship on August 10th ... and from comments on Cruise Critic shortly before we left I'd been in hopes that the faster internet would have been installed by the time we boarded.

Hi All,

After multiple O cruises on Deck 7 I have upped to Deck 8 on a 10/10 sailing and am wondering if the arrival of the daily restaurant menus are accompanied by wine lists from the GDR, Polo and Toscana (if they differ and I think they do)?

I'm also wondering if I could make wine purchases on embarkation day via the butler after viewing wine lists from Polo, Toscana, GDR (assuming they are different and assuming I can get copies) or do I have to see a

Sommelier directly?

Thanks, k

Hi All,

After multiple O cruises on Deck 7 I have upped to Deck 8 on a 10/10 sailing and am wondering if the arrival of the daily restaurant menus are accompanied by wine lists from the GDR, Polo and Toscana (if they differ and I think they do)?

I'm also wondering if I could make wine purchases on embarkation day via the butler after viewing wine lists from Polo, Toscana, GDR (assuming they are different and assuming I can get copies) or do I have to see a

Sommelier directly?

Thanks, k

The three wine lists and the specialty restaurant menus should be in your suite upon embarkation. They are static and do not change throughout the voyage.

What sometimes happens is that a previous passenger may have.........ahem.............. accidentally mistaken one or more of them for a souvenir.

If something is missing, mention it to the butler and he will replace it instantly.

You may order anything that you like for the cabin through your butler, but for in-restaurant consumption, the Sommelier will take your order.

Enjoy your Penthouse, they are amazing! :D

Sailing in October 2010 and have been assigned PH 8005. Am very concerned about having our cabin located directly under the restrooms and fitness center on level 9. Has anyone stayed in this cabin before? And do you hear the noises from above (ie, toilets flushing, loud music and exercise activities?):eek:

Previous post:

"I'm also wondering if I could make wine purchases on embarkation day via the butler after viewing wine lists from Polo, Toscana, GDR (assuming they are different and assuming I can get copies) or do I have to see a

Sommelier directly?"

JimandStan: "The three wine lists and the specialty restaurant menus should be in your suite upon embarkation. They are static and do not change throughout the voyage."

Thanks JimandStan for that information. I usually purchase 2,3,4 bottles for each cruise (depending upon its length) and as we all know they put the stateroom number on the bottles and deliver them to you in in each restaruant upon request. I was thinking of reviewing the three wine lists, and purchasing, say, 3 bottles, on embarkation day so that will be done.

My question is if I give a list of my 3-4 choices to the butler will he take care of it or do I have to actually go to the dining room that has the wine (s) I want to purchase to speak to the Sommelier or perhaps the Maitre d'?

Thanks

Previous post:

"I'm also wondering if I could make wine purchases on embarkation day via the butler after viewing wine lists from Polo, Toscana, GDR (assuming they are different and assuming I can get copies) or do I have to see a

Sommelier directly?"

JimandStan: "The three wine lists and the specialty restaurant menus should be in your suite upon embarkation. They are static and do not change throughout the voyage."

Thanks JimandStan for that information. I usually purchase 2,3,4 bottles for each cruise (depending upon its length) and as we all know they put the stateroom number on the bottles and deliver them to you in in each restaurant upon request. I was thinking of reviewing the three wine lists, and purchasing, say, 3 bottles, on embarkation day so that will be done.

My question is if I give a list of my 3-4 choices to the butler will he take care of it or do I have to actually go to the dining room that has the wine (s) I want to purchase to speak to the Sommelier or perhaps the Maitre d'?

Thanks

Although it may be marginally more convenient for you to arrange for the wines from your stateroom, I would suggest that you would probably be better served if you ordered those wines in one of the restaurants so that the gratuity goes to at least one of the people who will be fetching the wines for you.

Whichever lists the wines come from, it is certainly your option to order everything in a single transaction, if that is your preference.

I would suggest that you would probably be better served if you ordered those wines in one of the restaurants so that the gratuity goes to at least one of the people who will be fetching the wines for you.

I would think no matter where you purchased the wine the gratuity (18%) is added at the time of purchase... :confused:

Never having had a butler do you get drinks/wine purchases without having to pay the 18% tacked on when you order in your suite?

I would think no matter where you purchased the wine the gratuity (18%) is added at the time of purchase... :confused:

Never having had a butler do you get drinks/wine purchases without having to pay the 18% tacked on when you order in your suite?

Its not about avoiding the gratuity, Lyn, it's about the gratuity going to the person who is doing the work for you.

If the butler retrieves the wine from the service bar of the restaurant, the Sommelier is left out in the cold, but still has to provide service when the customer calls for the wine.

If the butler retrieves the wine from the service bar of the restaurant, the Sommelier is left out in the cold, but still has to provide service when the customer calls for the wine.

Ahh I thought it would be pooled like the other gratuities

well I do not have to worry because I will never have a butler ;)

Lyn

Just got off the Regatta where we ordered a bottle of Bombay the first day to be sent to the room - It was delivered by the butler, but there was no service charge. I don't know if that was an oversight, but seeing that my husband had no problem serving it to himself, maybe that was the difference??

Just got off the Regatta where we ordered a bottle of Bombay the first day to be sent to the room - It was delivered by the butler, but there was no service charge. I don't know if that was an oversight, but seeing that my husband had no problem serving it to himself, maybe that was the difference??

You're confusing apples and oranges there, GrammieK. In effect, you sent the Bombay to yourself as a "Gift".

That is different from ordering from the wine list whilst on the ship.

Actually, we ordered the Bombay from the Butler after we sailed. Does that make a difference?

There is normally not a gratuity added to whole bottles of hard liquor, when they are ordered to the cabin, but there is on wine ordered from one of the wine lists.

That being said, I'm certain that the Sommelier has options within that process, as do the Butlers.

The upgrade fairies visited us also on our very first cruise! Loved the extra room inside and on the balcony. We had breakfast in our room everyday-not so much rushing around getting ready for our tours. Sasha got to know what we liked in just a day or two and always had a big cold jug of iced tea and canapes delivered just as we returned from our tours (even if I had forgotten to order them) We're booked for Scandinavian Splendours next July in an A1 and have got all my fingers crossed that the upgrade fairies pull through again. Enjoy!

Archived