Forgettable locations

ActiveTraveler

I still say that you first have to decide your timeframe. I think the number of days available would play a very important part in your decision. For instance, if you have five days, I would stay in Rome. There is enough to see to fill up those days (and more!). You wouldn't be doing yourself a favour to waste a whole day travelling to another city. (You would probably have to return, also, in order to catch your flight home).

I understand the OP's priorities; I am not interested in hairy legs contests, either. However, we have cruised the Med twice on Celebrity and I have found that it meets all of her stated 'wants'.

We paid $1500 for a concierge class balcony cabin on a 14 day cruise departing from Barcelona and arriving in Venice. It was a lovely crowd, very few children, very good food and just enough activities to keep us in the loop. In the meantime, Celebrity has released their new class of ships which look great although I have not sailed on them yet. So, to the OP, check out Equinox, Solstice, Silhouette itineraries and see if they meet your expectations. You could have a beautiful, brand new ship with a great itinerary and save enough money to allow you to spend extra time wherever your heart desires.

I also totally agree with the poster who mentioned how port-intensive these cruises are. We are off the ship at first opportunity and spend all day touring and are really only up for an adult beverage, a late supper, and bed!

So there are many, many options available which will allow you to have a great experience and get in all your must-sees, once you determine them, without breaking the bank.

I will get a lot of guidebooks after I book my cruise, but they have this limitation: there's only one author of each, so I don't get many opinions about cities and attractions if I do not also ask cruisers for their suggestions. Believe me, I am not against guidebooks for any reason, just trying to get some ideas from cruisers first. By asking for help online, I can figure out which parts of Italy to concentrate on when I read those books and which books to check out of the library.

Here's a suggestion. Pin a map up on the wall of the area you are most interested in and throw five darts at it. Choose a cruise that visits the most number of your "hits". Should provide you with as much useful information as stranger's opinions.

When we've cruised Europe (4 times and counting...), we select our itinerary based on what is most important for us to see, not what is the least important.

I understand what you are trying to achieve, but IMHO I think you are approaching this from the wrong end. Besides, as has been mentioned, until you know where the cruise you select is actually going, you will not know what extra cities you will need to visit independantly.

When you ultimately select your itinerary, pay very close attention to the time you will be in port. It is surprising how many cruise lines may differ from one to another. Sometimes those extra few hours makes all the difference in what you are able to see and do. Don't decide on the cruise line before you look at the itinerary.

Last year was our first trip to Europe - a med cruise. We chose the cruise on the basis of places we wanted to see. We did a lot of reading and research of ports. Spent 3 days pre-cruise in Rome. I begged DH to splurge on a full-day private tour. Even he says best money we spent. I kept a journal and our full day with Claudio (limoinrome.com) took us to at least 16 different sites in Rome. He arranged for tickets to places where we needed them, arranged for a wonderful lunch and was a perfect gentleman with a lifetime of knowledge of the city. We wasted no time trying to figure out public transportation, getting lost, not knowing where to park, where the entrance was to anything, etc.

So I guess my advice is to pick out the points/ports you want to see, do your homework, and hire a guide for the big days of site seeing. You will go to ports you never thought you wanted to visit and be amazed. A guide will take you to places you didn't know you wanted to see. That is the joy of travel. You will experience things you always dreamed of, but also be surprised by what you didn't know you would see and enjoy.

Ok - I'm going to take a stab in the dark here. This is what I think the OP is going for. If you went to three cities, which of the two did you like the best and why? Say, Rome, Venice and Sorrento. Loved Rome and Venice because.... but didn't like Sorrento as much because.... Would go back to both Rome and Venice but could take or leave Sorrento. She clearly has no clue what to expect in any of these cities so is trying to get a grasp of what they are like from human opinions rather then from just reading about them in a book.

I don't think anyone is confused about what the OP wants. There are 30+ responses on this thread, and at least as many more on other threads she has started, with basically the same response: if you throw out a huge net, you wind up gathering a ton of junk along with the gems, so much so that you can't really separate one from the other.

People on these boards are remarkably willing to help, even repeating answers to the same questions over and over when posters don't, or can't, use the search function to find the information they are looking for. There comes a point, however, when even the most patient and generous begin to feel used and resist.

I don't think anyone is confused about what the OP wants. There are 30+ responses on this thread, and at least as many more on other threads she has started, with basically the same response: if you throw out a huge net, you wind up gathering a ton of junk along with the gems, so much so that you can't really separate one from the other.

People on these boards are remarkably willing to help, even repeating answers to the same questions over and over when posters don't, or can't, use the search function to find the information they are looking for. There comes a point, however, when even the most patient and generous begin to feel used and resist.

euro cruiser ... that was very well said, and based on my participation in and observation of these threads over the past few weeks, I agree completely with your thoughts on this.

x2

I am apparently constitutionally unable to resist answering questions but I feel I've spent enough time on this poster, unless there is some effort on her part to put in the time to research her own trip. So I've placed her on my Ignore list for my own sanity. :o

euro cruiser ... that was very well said, and based on my participation in and observation of these threads over the past few weeks, I agree completely with your thoughts on this.

x2

I am apparently constitutionally unable to resist answering questions but I feel I've spent enough time on this poster, unless there is some effort on her part to put in the time to research her own trip. So I've placed her on my Ignore list for my own sanity. :o

X4!!

I am constantly amazed at the helpfulness of people on this board, who type out answers to the same questions over and over and over, for people who don't seem to want to do any research on their own!

LOL.... you guys crack me up and I totally agree. I was in a weak moment :p.

You guys have given me great information even before I knew I was looking for it. It sounds like she is very inexperienced and has no clue how to figure out what she wants. The more she posts the more you can tell that she thinks she is becoming informed, but isn't. I'm still in the amused category but I may get to the "ignore" stage soon.

I'm amazed at some of the detailed responses that you guys give. I'm also really looking forward to the hotel suggestion you gave - Albergo del Senato! Woohoo!

It is true that one man's trash is anothers treasure........ one city for one person may be the absolute best and to another the absolute worst...... it's all subjective.

That said, I can tell you I haven't visited a city in Europe (on 2 cruises) that I haven't liked. Just to be there and experiencing all of it is enough for me. Some more than others, but none were MUST NOT SEES.

And then that said, I do have favorites that I would like to go back to, some again and again....... working on that. Actually I want to see it all !

Now dh doesnt seem to care about seeing Venice. Have discussed taking a cruise that begins there (or ends there) and he is lukewarm about it to say the least....... have read that it is many peoples favorite.

So read, read and read some more...... but remember that we are all different and have different likes and dislikes. Hopefully you will find some places THAT APPEAL TO YOU and then plan accordingly.

As for what line to use...... again research and decide. We do find less children on Med cruises.....but some. And as for entertainment......most lines have something for everyone. And food - well I have been on cruises where people have said the food was much better than another line and we did not find it to be so at all......again subjective. For us it is all about the ports to be visited altho we do enjoy a nice ship with amenities - but it is not top priority.

Good luck

Ok, I'm going to put my two cents in:

Visit a bookstore (not a library) & spend several hours looking at the guidebooks, when the time comes, buy them, don't borrow, because you're going to need to highlight, mark pages, & add notes, etc.

You are obviously computer savvy: go to youtube, & search for the cities you may be interested in, you will be able to see lots of video tours of various European cities, it will give a very good insight into the flavor of each locale, so you'll be able to narrow down what you'd like to see.

I agree with the other posters who recommend you consider Celebrity if money is a factor, very nice atmosphere, it sounds like you will be mainly traveling for the ports, their S class ships are gorgeous, not a lot of kids, ( we saw 1) with the money you save you could book private tours, they might suit you very well, & give you a little less worry.

Now dh doesnt seem to care about seeing Venice. Have discussed taking a cruise that begins there (or ends there) and he is lukewarm about it to say the least....... have read that it is many peoples favorite.

I have to throw in that my DH says that "Venice exceeded all my expectations," which he doesn't say often--your DH may feel the same way if you ever got him there!

She started another thread under "ask a cruise question" stating we aren't giving her an answer on this thread so she's trying there :rolleyes:. I guess its time to block her. She reminds me of that guy who started tons on threads with polls a few months back.

Do you remember the poster (was it Joe something?) who was all over the Europe boards, asking questions like, "What's the best thing to see in Naples?" He posted hundreds of questions to which he could easily have found the answers himself.

He promised to come back after his cruise to post and help others. Never heard from him again.

You sound so negative!

Why not start with what are the can't miss cities/ports. IMHO only you can decide. The WEB is a wealth of information, why don't you start here: http://www.cruisereviews.com/port/123/Italy/

I need to figure out how to cut some cities out of my pre-cruise itinerary and days off of my vacation. Of course, that is much easier said than done. How can I select places to see later instead of on my first trip to Italy? I need help with choosing cities to visit now and cities to visit later because obviously the money is not there for a monthlong trip to Europe. If I had $15,000 I would make the mistake of trying to see and do everything at the same time because this is the hardest part of vacation planning when you have not been there before. As it is, I can't afford a weeklong Italy tour from Venice to Rome and then two weeks on the Crystal Serenity. Any and all ideas are appreciated.

I feel like a fourth string quarterback...clearly not the most knowledgable. I understand some of what the OP is saying. I have friends that cannot fathom putting together a European trip- add in a cruise, plan excursions, etc. What we think is a pretty easy and straight forward thing based on our interests may be overwhelming and too much info for others.

I am in the OPs same age demographic. We have been fortunate enough to travel to Italy on extensive land based travel and on a Med cruise. I am a cruising novice but will 'attempt' to provide some input- good, bad or otherwise...

- on which cruise line, we tinkered around with this. Do you go the luxury line route or attempt to luxe up the mass market line- aka squeeze out some extra cash for some land travel? We ended up selecting HAL and doing its full suite (SA) room so we went with the later. Great wine policy, mature passengers and much less expensive than Crystal. The food was very good, and we are not exactly easy to please when it comes to food and wine. I 100% agree with cruisemom and others- go as high end as you can while also giving yourself atleast a week to explore. I would NEVER fly in the same day or the day before a port intensive Med cruise. You want to be able to savor it- not be jet lagged and exhausted. Ditto for trying to race to the airport to go home. However, those kinds of decisions are often a function of vacation time.

- As far as putting together an itinerary, I would try to see different kinds of things- meaning different types of attractions. Get a mix of museums, history, beautiful scenery, hiking, etc. That is assuming you enjoy all of those. We do so my suggestions below are based on this type of mix.

- My must sees....of course, Rome- hit the Vatican museum and the other major sights as others have outlined. If you do this, I wouldn't necessarily even attempt Florence. You can't begin to scratch the surface in a shore excursion and trying to piece together a one week land trip with time on the front and back end of a cruise doesn't work as well as other options (IMO anyway). Unless you are a serious art lover, I would bypass Florence for a future visit. (Please don't stone me...we spent a week there a few years back and loved it. It just wouldn't be my first choice). I would do Cinque Terre in a heartbeat instead.

- in Southern Italy, we enjoyed Capri and Pompeii- unique places that are unlike anywhere else we have been.

- Venice- not our favorite city but on a cruise ship, this was a life experience. On our HAL cruise, we were on the deck listening to Italian opera being played throughout the ship, sipping a glass of wine and watching St Marks go by as we sailed out. It was AMAZING. During our time in port, we used cruise critic advice to make advance reservations at St Peters. We had missed this on our previous visits b/c the lines were insane. Never knew about the reservations until fellow cc'ers enlightened us.

- Lake Como- one of our favorite spots although we favor Varenna as opposed to the more developed Bellagio. Have stayed in both- if you want what locals call the Vegas of Como, do Bellagio. If you want authentic, go Varenna. The downside of Como is that it is travel intensive to get to it. You can fly into Milan, take a train to Como for a few days and then travel on to Venice to pick up a cruise. Personally, I would go this route and try to end my cruise in Rome to see it before heading back.

It can be overwhelming to try to navigate all of the information out there. I would sample a little bit of everything unless you have a total aversion to any one thing (hiking or really old stuff like ruins, etc). Italy is such an amazing place. I STRONGLY recommend getting as much land based time as you can.

Best of luck with your plans!

Hmmm...I don't think you can do even the HAL PH for $15K? I think the OP may need to rework her numbers. We have traveled the past four summers in Europe. Have taken one Med cruise with another this year. In our experience, realistic budget is:

cruise (10-12 days in a suite on mass market) $10K fully loaded (roughly $1K/ day)

land based apartment $250/ night; hotel would be $300/ night (this is a nice hotel in a good location; not a five star which starts at around $500 USD/ night in the cities we are talking about)

food/ entertainment on land travel- $200/ day (this isn't eating at fine dining spots- represents a 50/ 50 split for food/ wine and entertainment)

transport (train) for land based travel- $250 per leg

air (coach)- $1K

taxis/ other incidentals- $1K

So am thinking her trip would run around $10K + ($250*7) + ($200 * 7) + ($250 *2 legs) + $1K + $1K =$15,650. No extra cash under my numbers for formal wear and not the Crystal PH. I would order room service- if I had made it this long in life without needing formal wear, I must not really need it. Buys me an extra few nights in Italy :)

Do you remember the poster (was it Joe something?) who was all over the Europe boards, asking questions like, "What's the best thing to see in Naples?" He posted hundreds of questions to which he could easily have found the answers himself.

He promised to come back after his cruise to post and help others. Never heard from him again.

This is, unfortunately, not uncommon behavior on message boards. Sometimes you learn that open-ended questions like that have been posted by writers trying to put together an article for a publication or another web site.

Occasionally you run across students doing studies, such as how they can keep a "conversation" going on a message board with the most suspicious of data, such as a young 30-something with the funds to cruise solo in a penthouse suite on a higher end cruise line, yet who seems to know nothing about geography, history, art, etc.

Archived