Pool chair etiquette?

cruzemaven

Another fervent agreement with the previous posters (except for the OP, of course). When we were on Whisper in the Middle East (very hot weather and therefore lots of pool chair use), I was astounded when I did my early morning deck power walk at 7:00 a.m. or so to witness passengers come up to the pool deck as soon as the staff set up the chairs, place a few personal items (books, towels, sunglasses) on them, and then disappear, not to reappear anytime during the hour or so that I was up there walking. By the time that I left the walking track betweem 8:00 & 8:30 a.m. there were invariably at least a dozen chairs "claimed" by someone, even though when I walked through the area about 9:00 one morning, not one of the "claimed" chairs was occupied by anything more than the aforementioned personal items.

Hmm, the troubling thing about this subject is that we always assume that such boorish behavior is the province of those dreadful "mass-market" lines, not our beloved luxury lines. Maybe it's limited to those passengers who come from somewhere east of the Rhine??

Cheers, Fred (as in Frederick, named after my German grandpa Friedrich - so no flaming from Deutschaphiles, please...)

I will say that when we have been in a situation where there are no chairs left, and we spy belongings on a chair, apparently being "saved" by a passenger, we sit at the bar and wait for 15-20 minutes to see if the belongings are claimed. If that doesn't happen in a reasonable period of time, we take the items off the chairs, and claim them for ourselves.

If we are going to follow some sort of etiquette, if we notice that someone has left belongings on a deck chair and we would like to occupy that chair because we are waiting for space, the proper thing would be to request that the deck boys remove the belongings and prepare the chairs for use -- and not remove the belongings ourselves. That is just as bad as the person who left them there in the first place to reserve the chair.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

If we are going to follow some sort of etiquette, if we notice that someone has left belongings on a deck chair and we would like to occupy that chair because we are waiting for space, the proper thing would be to request that the deck boys remove the belongings and prepare the chairs for use -- and not remove the belongings ourselves. That is just as bad as the person who left them there in the first place to reserve the chair.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

I agree and believe it also avoids a potential confrontation later on.

Keith

I absolutely agree with cruisingerman. You descend to the circle of hell reserved for chair hogs if you breach etiquette by taking the detritus for yourself. Let the staff remove unauthorized items and deal with upset hogs. Remember a hog may have left for the bar and be quite aggressive when they return. I have seen a near fist fight on the Paul Gaugin, possibly aggravated by the hot sun.

Obviously I mixed up subject and predicate, or some such........of course I meant took the chairs, not the objects, but some of you feel thats too aggressive. At times we have asked the pool servers/deck guys to put up another chair, or for info about who might be coming back. Never had any confrontations.....interesting that one poster would mention the PG, as we are taking that cruise in a couple weeks! We have had much experience sailing on the PG, and I don't recall any trouble with chair hogs. There sure isn't enough shade though and that tropical sun is HOT! There always seems to be space sitting at tables at the outdoor bar, so when in doubt we sit there until a chair opens up, or it seems safe to move.......I don't apologize at all for taking a chair that has been left what I consider to be too long unattended........Well, we all have our own comfort zone about what is acceptable behavior from others, and what we can do about it if it isn't - acceptable that is:D.

The chaise hogs are on all cruises...

Most ships have a "kind message" in the daily activity guide stating no saving of chaises and if you leave your belongings for more than however long, they will be taken to lost and found, the bar area or somewhere for claiming..doesn't Silverseas? I can't remember.

p.s. maybe the best idea is to bring your own..lol:D

Sit_N_Joy_Pool.jpg

I think common courtesy would dictate removing your items when you left the chairs for lunch. Especially since the ship was full and it was obvious others would like to use the chairs. I was on the Whisper last week and we had the same type of issue on a day at sea but the crew brought additional chairs to the pool deck and had them everywhere!

The other option would have been eating at lounge chair.

Of course we all know chair hogs are entitled and oblivious to all around them, odds are favorable that none of them will ever read this thread.

And even if they read this thrread, I'll bet they would never recognize themselves!!

Host Dan

I think common courtesy would dictate removing your items when you left the chairs for lunch. Especially since the ship was full and it was obvious others would like to use the chairs. I was on the Whisper last week and we had the same type of issue on a day at sea but the crew brought additional chairs to the pool deck and had them everywhere!

The other option would have been eating at lounge chair.

I like the option of having lunch at your lounge chair when the ship is full and you don't want to risk not finding another chair when you return. Can you order from your chair or do you need to go to the buffet and bring it back yourself?

Seems like one point of this thread is to compare who has the most outrageous example of pool chair etiquette to share, so here is my submission:

I was aboard the Cloud in the Seychelles—obviously a place for sunbathing. There was a woman who had been on a lounge chair most of the morning. She appeared to be in her late fifties and I thought she was the most beautiful (and beautifully dressed) woman on board—not that that excuses her behavior, which was:

In the early afternoon, after the sun had shifted, I watched her pick up her stuff and move over to a lounge chair on a different side of the ship, which SHE HAD BEEN SAVING ALL MORNING WITH MORE OF HER BELONGINGS. So she had been reserving her “afternoon” lounge chair all the while she had been laying on her “morning” lounge chair.

I like the option of having lunch at your lounge chair when the ship is full and you don't want to risk not finding another chair when you return. Can you order from your chair or do you need to go to the buffet and bring it back yourself?
Yup. It's a tough life....

When I plan on spending a day at sea at the pool, I plan on using my chair as a base for the entire day. Who wants to pick up their stuff and cart it to lunch, not me. I plan on letting the attendent know when I go to lunch so I hopefully I will not encounter a chair problem if lunch proves to be served slowly.

When I plan on spending a day at sea at the pool, I plan on using my chair as a base for the entire day. Who wants to pick up their stuff and cart it to lunch, not me. I plan on letting the attendent know when I go to lunch so I hopefully I will not encounter a chair problem if lunch proves to be served slowly.[/QU

Let us know how that works out for you.

Archived