Issues for Persons of Size

Schoifmom

There's a thread right now on the disabilty cruising board addressing this issue. (Yes, I know he's not disabled, doesn't consider himself disabled...it's just that is where the thread is, right now.. :o )

Issues:

showers in most cabins are VERY small...and so indeed he might be happier showering in the pool/gym area.

Depending on the arrangement of the bathroom, the toilet might be tight against the wall, causing him some difficulty.

He'll need to stop by the dining room on the first afternoon and ask for a chair without arms. If you have fixed dining, this is good, because it will always be there in place. If you have anytime dining, this may be something he'll have to ask for each night.

Avoid plastic chairs. They have narrow seats, and aren't very sturdy. Not only would he be embarrassed if they broke under him (or stuck to him as he tried to get up), he could be hurt.

Most of the show and theater venues have some bench/couch style seating, so if you want to see the shows, go early to get "the best seats" for him.

That's all I can think of right now..but if you check out that thread, there might be more suggestions there...

Suites generally offer a tub/shower combination or a separate shower and tub which are larger than showers in balcony staterooms or below - in fact the bathroom is generally larger in a suite often offering 2 sinks. That might be a better arrangement for your husband. My husband is tall and he prefers the extra space of a suite. Even the doors to the suites are usually wider.

Thanks everyone ... those were very helpful! He does have some extra "fluff" and gets a little oversensitive sometimes to those things that are difficult for him. I appreciate all of the advice. The more I can plan ahead, the easier it is to avoid those situations which may ruin the vacation for both of us.

Some ships will allow you to book a handicapped room if they are available and no other handicapped passenger has booked one. Those rooms do have a much larger shower. I know because we were assigned a handicapped room once (not requested.) You could ask about it.

I would never want to occupy such a room if a person who truly needs it is going without, but if such cabins are not booked, why not give it a shot?

I don't know if this even applies, but helicopter excursions are very strict with weight issues. There's always a maximum weight posted and if a person's over that, they'll need to purchase two seats. They do weight people, and I've seen it done by the person who picks people up at the ship dragging along a bathroom scale and having people stand on it flat out in public. That wasn't a situation I enjoyed, and neither did any of the other ladies booked on that flight.

There are other excursions, such as horseback riding, zip lining and kayaking, that have weight limitations.

If your DH is trying to lose weight, be sure to register ahead of time for special meals. The cruise lines can accommodate all sorts of special diets--such as low sodium, low fat, vegetarian, etc.

I would never want to occupy such a room if a person who truly needs it is going without, but if such cabins are not booked, why not give it a shot?

As I have a wife who is disabled and needs the extra room and the bars for getting on and off the toilet etc, I would sincerely hope that an otherwise able-bodied person would not book an HC cabin.

As I have a wife who is disabled and needs the extra room and the bars for getting on and off the toilet etc, I would sincerely hope that an otherwise able-bodied person would not book an HC cabin.

Unfortunately, though, they do.....for the extra room. That's why I had to go out and buy a collapsible chair for our cruises next year, because I couldn't get an HC and still wanted to go. DD will have to function as my grab bars and "bath aide" for those three weeks. (Not that she minds).

I was plus-sized on my last cruise--and the airline lost my luggage. They gave me a $100 credit per day to purchase clothes/toiletries/etc...but there was nothing on board that I could buy! (I also had difficulty in ports) I was hoping to rent formal wear and that was unavailable in plus sizes as well.

Fortunately, I wore capris and a blouse and took a carry on with an extra set of clothes (shorts/tee), underclothes, and my swim suit.

I spent a lot of time handwashing clothes in my room and hanging to dry!!

I would definitely recommend taking at least one extra set of clothes in a carry on bag.

I didn't realize how weight disabled I am until I started reading these posts. I weight 200 lbs at 5'7" tall. I can hardly fit in an airplane seat, or the tiny cubes they call seats on the excursion buses and the showers and toilets on the cruise ships were designed to be a literal pain in the arse. You could weigh 98 lbs. and have a difficult time in the shower.

Definitely use the spa / fitness center showers...much roomier. Agree with asking for a chair with no arms for dining room and watch for bench seating in entertainment venues. Be the first in an elevator or you will never get a lift as they fill up quickly. Pool side seating may be very uncomfortable but the solarium seating is generally roomier seats. Be patient and take the time on day one to find the needs that will suit him best in the different areas so that you don;t waste time later in the week hunting out your locations or seating.

We were booked in a handicap room, not by request, but by the cruise line as it was not booked and they had more than one open; they placed us there on a guaranty stateroom. The room was as large as a junior suite and had a very large shower area.

Have fun!

Someone who is very overweight is NOT an Able-bodied person. ON my previous two cruises, i was able to use a regular room becuase of where they put the toilet. However on this upcoming cruise, because the toilet is in this little cubbyhole, it is an *impossibility* for me to use a regular cabin. I booked an accessible cabin because it is the ONLY cabin i could have used. Accessible cabins are just that, for accessibility. Not *just* for wheelchairs. In my mind, they should be for *anyone* who cannot use the regular cabins.

Now if someone just wanted the extra room to put their scuba gear or a bigger balcony, then no, they should NOT be booking an accessible room. But if booking the room is a necessity, I do not believe that the accessible room should only be reserved for those specifically in wheelchairs. After all, the whole reason someone who is wheelchair bound uses the accessible room is because the rest of the regular rooms are impossible to use. Which is exactly the reason why i have booked an accessible room.

I would definitely recommend taking at least one extra set of clothes in a carry on bag.

great tip. Our carryons always have at least one other set of clothing just in case. I can't imagine having to constantly wash your clothes. So sorry you had to go through that but hope you still enjoyed your trip.

Most answers will depend on how large he is. Just saying he's big won't help much. Some people weigh a lot but don't have many issues. Others may not weigh as much but are larger in size and have many issues. Think about what problems he has in his daily life and expect to have those and a few others involved with a cruise. So if he can't sit in the standard chairs with arms now then plan on requesting one in the dining room without arms. If he can't fit in a standard airline or bus seat chances are any excursion that require a ride in the small buses will be out. Many excursions have some kind of weight limit on them and they are generally around the 225-250lb mark.

Keep in mind elevators are usually pretty full and have limits so that may be uncomfortable for him too, halls are pretty narrow and often times have linen carts on one side of them as they clean rooms. Balconies are narrow on most rooms, bathrooms are small......

Of course it all comes down to his size how those things and others will impact his enjoyment of the cruise. If he won't enjoy himself because of the issues he'll be facing I'd consider a different type of vacation. Not much fun if you are uncomforable with your surroundings all week.

Have fun whatever you decide to do.

Archived