Denali Highway

alaskandreamer

Hi Everyone!

As part of our Princess Copper River Cruisetour, we will be doing an extensive day of travel from the Princess Copper River Lodge to Denali.

We will be traveling along the "Denali Highway".

I've read that most of this road is gravel and goes through the heart of Alaska.

Can anyone tell me what this part of the trip is like??????

Do you make stops along the way? And what can be seen???

Any info anyone can give us will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

It's on my list of top 5 Alaska experiences (4 cruises with 2 land trips)! You stop at 2 places - one for coffee and pie and the other for lunch. There's also a "potty" on the bus. Note that the few places you see along the road all sell tires - it is a LONG gravel road!:eek::D:eek::D

I've had the tire changing experience. No fun at all when the tire weighs a great deal.

Sorry but I don't count seeing moose as an experience I would travel for.

LOL thats cause you have seen your faire share of Moose as have I. Moose need to stop trying to bust in to my garden but thats an aside lol grumble grumble.

Adri :)

(LOL)......

I am hoping to see a Moose! That is one animal on my list.

A Grizzly is another.

We do not have Moose or Grizzly bears in my neck of the woods (PA).

It's funny how we can get used to seeing certain animals and not get excited about it. While other people are hoping for encounters.

If I can see just one Moose and A Grizzly Bear my trip will be complete.

I love wildlife! No matter how many times I see things even common animals I still am grateful for the opportunity and experience.

I thought it was wonderful! Gorgeous scenery. Plenty of stops. Good pie. A mama moose with baby moose - and we stopped and watched them for a long time. That day between Copper River and Denali Princess Lodge is one of my very favorite travel memories.

(LOL)......

A Grizzly is another.

It's funny how we can get used to seeing certain animals and not get excited about it. While other people are hoping for encounters.

I love wildlife! No matter how many times I see things even common animals I still am grateful for the opportunity and experience.

Its great to see bears and Moose but just be careful and be safe. They are wild so keep that in mind.

http://www.explorenorth.com/library/nature/alaska_bear_viewing.html

This website does a great job in explaining the locations and differences of differnt types of bears. The main point is a brown and a Grizzly is the same species and not separate. However intererior are known commonly as Grizzlys and coastels are Brown bear.

The black bear and the Polar bear are also two separate species also.

http://www.explorenorth.com/library/weekly/aa041699.htm

Where I live the smaller black bears are common and the only type ive ever seen on or around our homestead. I would personally rather encounter a Grizzly/Brown bear then a black bear.

Blacks tend to over all be more aggresive then Grizzly/Brown bears.

At my Fathers lodge it is common to see Grizzlys and also a few black bears. The black bears are not as shy where as the Grizzlys really dont seem to have as much interest in us people and tend to keep thier distence. The only time ive seen them really get close is when they are down at the river which is right by the main lodge. The lodge is on the edge of the lake and then thier is a river and when the salmon come through the grizzly come to eat the salmon. The lower cabin is right up the hill litterly say 10 feet up the hill from the corner of the lake/River.

Its stunning to see the Grizz while sitting in that cabin that has big picture windows in it. We usually dont use that particular sleeping cabin for guests when the bears are that close. We have never had a problem and the few times we have had people down that close they promise and do stay inside the whole night and also keep a dog with them in the cabin just to be on the safe side.

I had plenty of bear sightings when trying to unload groceries. Those black bears love fresh food. Learned never, ever to leave the hatch open while unloading and hauling into the house.

As far as moose are concerned, when I'm on foot they scare me more than bears. Mamma moose with calf is murder looking on an excuse.

Be careful of both!

As for moose to eat: I really enjoy a good moose roast, but get weary by the time we get down to all the hamburger.

I had plenty of bear sightings when trying to unload groceries. Those black bears love fresh food. Learned never, ever to leave the hatch open while unloading and hauling into the house.

As far as moose are concerned, when I'm on foot they scare me more than bears. Mamma moose with calf is murder looking on an excuse.

Be careful of both!

As for moose to eat: I really enjoy a good moose roast, but get weary by the time we get down to all the hamburger.

I agree that moose scare me more then bear at times especially during rutting season and also mama moose and a baby. I also enjoy a great moose to eat especially moose roast and backstrap yummy.

Yummmy,

(LOL)......

A Grizzly is another.

Hopefully you are getting into Denali Park- just about a given to see both. :)

Oh, I hope to see moose too! And bears and whales, eagles--just everything. Are you just as likely to see these animals in last August as earlier in the year? I have learned that it will be more rainy.

All I thought about when making reservations was how great it would be to get away from the miserable heat of Memphis in August. But we have already had a couple of weeks of very hot and humid weather. Indexes over 100.

Oh, I hope to see moose too! And bears and whales, eagles--just everything. Are you just as likely to see these animals in last August as earlier in the year? I have learned that it will be more rainy.

All I thought about when making reservations was how great it would be to get away from the miserable heat of Memphis in August. But we have already had a couple of weeks of very hot and humid weather. Indexes over 100.

I've always seen more wildlife in August compared to my earlier trips, including my recent trip of 3 weeks.

We are renting a car from Hertz and it says we aren't suppose to drive on Denali Hwy, how risky is it if we do? We will be there August 6-10.

No risk at all if you don't mind paying for cracked windshields and dents in the car caused by driving there. And of course thoroughly cleaning the car from all the dust on the gravel road before returning it - otherwise it will be an obvious giveaway that you were on a prohibited road. Oh, and not to mention the greater potential for a flat tire. And if the worst case scenario happened - an accident - figure thousands of dollars out-of-pocket to repair the vehicle, plus "loss of use" fees, which won't be cheap. And no, your personal auto insurance or credit card or travel insurance won't cover the damages either since you would be violating the rental contract. And if the car breaks down on the highway, you are responsible for having it towed to a gravel road. So, all things considered, not much risk at all, if you are wealthy :D

We are renting a car from Hertz and it says we aren't suppose to drive on Denali Hwy, how risky is it if we do? We will be there August 6-10.

There is at least one car rental company in Anchorage that allows driving on this road and others that are gravel. Not sure when one but it's not one of the big rental agencies.

Sorry, it's up to you if you want to violate your contract. Many cars do have GPS.

In my opinion, this highway, needs a 4Wdrive for the clearance and an APPROVED car.

Archived