Travelers Cheques in Euros?

ScTrny1

Has anyone ever purchased American Express Travelers Cheques in Euro's before a cruise? The Amex website says you can get them in euros; I was wondering if it would be a good idea to purchase them in Euros and then cash them on the ship---this might avoid an unfavorable exchange rate...?

Appreciate any thoughts you might have...

Sherry

Don't do it with the intent to cash on the ship.... they'll convert back to US and a horrible exchange rate and then if you want them in Euro's they'll convert them back. Brutal way to go. Cashing Euro TC in Europe can also be difficult, no one wants them. Using your ATM card is the best way to go.

The previous poster is correct-you will be exchanging them twice on the ship. The ship's currency is dollars not euros. It is very difficult to change travelers checks in Europe. You will spend hours finding a bank to do it and must have passport etc. Shops do not want them. Use ATMs or convert small amounts on board the ship, not a good rate but easy for small walking around money.

Enjoy your trip.:)

B.

I also looked into Traveler's Checks in Euro for our upcoming Med cruise. I didn't want to use them as our sole source of spending money, just to pay for some of our pricier tours like RIL that accepted them. Other than that, I have read only negative comments about the acceptance of Euro TCs. I think what you're proposing might end up cheating yourself - you're paying twice, when you buy the TCs and then when you cash them onboard. Both ways you'll be hit with some kind of exchange rate. If you'd like to have Euros before you go, call around to your local banks and exchange offices for their rates - the Euro/dollar rate is pretty favorable now (has gone up slightly from a historic low) so you can snag some cash before heading over. Other than that, ATMs seem to be the way to go - you'll always get the current day's rate.

Sorry but the previous posts are not 100% correct

On my last two cruises in Europe on Azamara/X on both trips I have had Amex Euro travellers cheques and have been given their face value in Euros, indeed to do a double conversion to dollars and back is in breach of Amex rules.

So if you buy Amex Euros travellers cheques, you will pay exchange commission as you convert them into Euros from your home currency (Dollars, sterling etc) but you then get face value from Celebrity. The only time you would not get face value is if for some reason you chose to use them against your onboard account in which case you would have a second handling charge to take them to US dollars

It is true that I would not use the TCs off ship- I use them as a way to carry working cash safely and then cash as I need, the exchange rate of £ to Euro TCs is also much better than £ to Euro notes even taking account of the handling surcharge and there is the additional loss protection

I agree with the above as Celebrity have cashed our Amex Euro TC at their face value, giving us Euros for use onshore, with no conversion to USD and back to Euros. We also have done this on RC but on our last cruise which was on Princess they wouldn't cashed Euro TC only USD ones.

Thanks all---good info.

My main concern was carrying lots of cash to the ship, to then pay for port excursions/private transfers in euros. Travelers checks seemed to at least afford a measure of protection if lost/stolen.

Dw & I both wear money pouches around our necks with cash inside. Airport security is clearly very used to people with them. We then use the in-room safe to keep cash in.

BUT.....be certain when you travel that the in-room safe is actually bolted down. In a few odd places (like Vietnam & Africa) safes were just sitting in the hotel room closet. I'm sure they're heavy but someone could just walk out with them.

No more travelers checks after having to pay a 15% fee at a BANK in rural Portugal to cash EURO traveler's checks.

Has anyone ever purchased American Express Travelers Cheques in Euro's before a cruise? The Amex website says you can get them in euros; I was wondering if it would be a good idea to purchase them in Euros and then cash them on the ship---this might avoid an unfavorable exchange rate...?

Appreciate any thoughts you might have...

Sherry

In 2002 we did a tour of Europe and took Euro TC. We paid as high as 8% to cash them and this was at banks. Did not do this many times before started using ATM!!!!

Thanks all---good info.

My main concern was carrying lots of cash to the ship, to then pay for port excursions/private transfers in euros. Travelers checks seemed to at least afford a measure of protection if lost/stolen.

Reasonable concern - but not necessary. Your port of disembark ought to have ATMs. Just buy a couple hundred Euro cash here to have for arrival for ease or emergency. Otherwise, its no different than travel here (credit cards and debit card; you're covered). Suprisingly, the non-Eu med ports I've been in (Turkey, Croatia) seem to have an even greater proliferation of ATMs than Eu ports (where they seem more abundant than the states). In Turkey it seems like every block has 2 or more (I'm sure its an impression; but there are LOTS).

• 7 months later...
I agree with the above as Celebrity have cashed our Amex Euro TC at their face value, giving us Euros for use onshore, with no conversion to USD and back to Euros. We also have done this on RC but on our last cruise which was on Princess they wouldn't cashed Euro TC only USD ones.

Can a recent Celebrity cruiser please comment on whether or not this is still the practice for Celebrity ships sailing in Europe? Do they still cash Euro TCs at face value at no charge? We have several tours booked with private operators who prefer to be paid in cash. I would like to take some travelers cheques in Euros and periodically cash them on the ship to reduce the need to withdraw large amounts from ATMs in port and have to carry that cash around with me for the rest of the day.

Can a recent Celebrity cruiser please comment on whether or not this is still the practice for Celebrity ships sailing in Europe? Do they still cash Euro TCs at face value at no charge? We have several tours booked with private operators who prefer to be paid in cash. I would like to take some travelers cheques in Euros and periodically cash them on the ship to reduce the need to withdraw large amounts from ATMs in port and have to carry that cash around with me for the rest of the day.

There is no need to take large amounts from ATM machines in Europe. You can withdraw amounts starting from eur20 up to eur300.

There is no need to take large amounts from ATM machines in Europe. You can withdraw amounts starting from eur20 up to eur300.

The tour we have booked in Naples costs 300 Euros and they prefer to be paid in cash. With a tip for the driver that will be at least 330 Euros. I don't want to have to take that amount from an ATM in Mykonos the previous day (assuming one even can) and then walk around with it.

I know that the onboard currency is US dollars. Can anyone answer my original question about whether or not I can cash travelers cheques in Euros on the ship and get Euros without being charge any conversion fee?

When I was on the Equinox in September 2010, I was able to cash Amex Euro travellers cheques for face value at Guest Relations. There were no "exchange" charges.

Same here, had lots of trouble trying to cash Euro travellers cheques in Italy, but on board Equinox Guest Relations were happy to cash the cheques, no charges, no problems.

I will be travelling on a European line, and since my currency is not the $ I figured on buying Euro T/C straight off.

If I use my credit card, the bank converts the Euro charges into $ and then into my local currency, so I am doing the exchange thing twice. :mad:

I am trying to find out just how easy will be (or not) to spend them on the ship.

I hate :mad: the way banks and cc companies rip you off at every turn!!!

I will be travelling on a European line, and since my currency is not the $ I figured on buying Euro T/C straight off.

If I use my credit card, the bank converts the Euro charges into $ and then into my local currency, so I am doing the exchange thing twice. :mad:

I am trying to find out just how easy will be (or not) to spend them on the ship.

I hate :mad: the way banks and cc companies rip you off at every turn!!!

No offense, but banks and CC companies are not a free public service, they are businesses that sell services at a profit. Exchange rates premiums or discounts are common on almost all foreign exchange transactions unless you are a trader buying large quantities of foreign currency on your own account. Banks and credit card companies have to have staff, offices and other overhead to process these transactions for you and need to not only recover their costs but also generate a profit - otherwise they would not be in existence. I'm sure you do not provide services to your employer or customers for free.

You've made a choice to use the services and products of a travelers check company and a credit card company to process transactions and exchange money for you. I'm sure there are local banks in your area where you can buy Euros directly and eliminate a lot of the costs if you wanted to cut back on all of these fees. I don't know about where you live, but here in Chicago there is a difference in the fees and charges for buying foreign currency between different banks so it pays to shop around.

No offense, but banks and CC companies are not a free public service, they are businesses that sell services at a profit. Exchange rates premiums or discounts are common on almost all foreign exchange transactions unless you are a trader buying large quantities of foreign currency on your own account. Banks and credit card companies have to have staff, offices and other overhead to process these transactions for you and need to not only recover their costs but also generate a profit - otherwise they would not be in existence. I'm sure you do not provide services to your employer or customers for free.

You've made a choice to use the services and products of a travelers check company and a credit card company to process transactions and exchange money for you. I'm sure there are local banks in your area where you can buy Euros directly and eliminate a lot of the costs if you wanted to cut back on all of these fees. I don't know about where you live, but here in Chicago there is a difference in the fees and charges for buying foreign currency between different banks so it pays to shop around.

Thank you Adam Smith.

I always shop around for buying foreign cash, and find the post office the best buy. I just don't like to carry that much cash around with me.

I buy my t/c at Amex.

Archived