Transatlantic ?

wishful thinking

We are looking to book Emerald Princess for 7 April 2011 for its last Caribbean cruise, then staying on her so she can bring us back home to the UK. My question is, does anyone know how many of the sea days during the transatlantic are in the 'warmer' weather before it starts to cool down. I want to book a balcony for the Caribbean portion but wonder if it's worth having a balcony for the transatlantic, or shall we move cabins to an ocean view for the transatlantic portion. Don't really want to waste money on a balcony if the weather's not too good. And by the way, we plan to get off in Dover and not complete the cruise to Denmark. Any thoughts out there please? :)

Can't answer your question about the climate but why not consider an aft balcony cabin where you would be sheltered from most of the elements. We are doing the journey the other way with P&O this October and thats what we have done.

We are looking to book Emerald Princess for 7 April 2011 for its last Caribbean cruise, then staying on her so she can bring us back home to the UK. My question is, does anyone know how many of the sea days during the transatlantic are in the 'warmer' weather before it starts to cool down. I want to book a balcony for the Caribbean portion but wonder if it's worth having a balcony for the transatlantic, or shall we move cabins to an ocean view for the transatlantic portion. Don't really want to waste money on a balcony if the weather's not too good. And by the way, we plan to get off in Dover and not complete the cruise to Denmark. Any thoughts out there please? :)

We did the crossing on the Ruby in April; started in

Ft. Lauderdale on the 19th. Warm weather? Forget about it. We reached Madeira 7 days later where the sun was shining and it was a beautiful day. After that no warmth until our stop in Barcelona. I realize you're doing a different itinerary, but don't expect warm weather anywhere and you won't be disappointed.

Warm is subject to interpretation. Depends on where you live and the temps to which you are accustomed. I did an eastbound TA on Oosterdam in mid-March 2009. Weather was in 60's all the way to Europe. Cabin on starboard side would have givenn lots of sun. EM

Warm is subject to interpretation. Depends on where you live and the temps to which you are accustomed. I did an eastbound TA on Oosterdam in mid-March 2009. Weather was in 60's all the way to Europe. Cabin on starboard side would have givenn lots of sun. EM

For me, 60's is not warm, but the temps we experienced were in the 50's.

Having completed 19 Transatlantic Cruises I would say you can't have a bad one:). Although most of our Eastbound crossings have been towards the end of April(2-3 weeks later than you are planning) the weather has been very favourable and definately would recommend having the balcony for the TA as well. We always try and get an aft balcony but if they are not available would always go for a balcony on the STARBOARD side for the Eastbound crossing as "if there is plenty of sunshine":cool: you will get the majority of it on the STARBOARD and AFT balconies.

Also we have disembarked a day early in Dover, albeit with Celebrity and it was a breeze, just make sure you just get written confirmation from the cruiseline as soon as is possible!! Hope this helps.

Obviously wx that far ahead is unpredictable, but I disagree with the 'don't expect warm wx'. We've done two TA's (FLL to Dover in Apr/May), (Rome to FLL Nov/Dec) and both had good wx the great majority of the time. The Spring crossing was like crossing a lake in the 70's (I assume for a good UK person, that is balmy!). The Nov/Dec had a bit of rain and cool on one day, nice in the 60's the rest. The FLL - Dove is a southern route and should be nice - but it Is weather.

As to a Balcony, with that many At Sea days, I'd go with a Balcony for sure. We loved ours, even on the rainy day. Good suggestion of going with a Starboard Cabin - faces South towards the Sun for the West-East crossing. Check with a TA or Princess for a covered veranda if possible. Also, check if you can get the same cabin for both cruises. You'll have to step off the ship in FLL to check through but it is quick and easy - they will handle all of your B2B'ers in a coordinated way. Bet there is a good number. And with the same cabin, you don't have to move anything. If you do, you just pack up your stuff in the drawers and BR and your steward will move everthing, and the steward hangs your closet stuff on a hanging roller. But it is nice in the same cabin!

Great idea and think you'll Love It!

Denny

Having completed 19 Transatlantic Cruises I would say you can't have a bad one:). Although most of our Eastbound crossings have been towards the end of April(2-3 weeks later than you are planning) the weather has been very favourable and definately would recommend having the balcony for the TA as well. We always try and get an aft balcony but if they are not available would always go for a balcony on the STARBOARD side for the Eastbound crossing as "if there is plenty of sunshine":cool: you will get the majority of it on the STARBOARD and AFT balconies.

Also we have disembarked a day early in Dover, albeit with Celebrity and it was a breeze, just make sure you just get written confirmation from the cruiseline as soon as is possible!! Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply. Actually the transatlantic portion starts on 27 April so not quite as early as beginning of April. Good idea about starboard side. We usually have port side cabins so glad about the heads up. Thanks :)

Obviously wx that far ahead is unpredictable, but I disagree with the 'don't expect warm wx'. We've done two TA's (FLL to Dover in Apr/May), (Rome to FLL Nov/Dec) and both had good wx the great majority of the time. The Spring crossing was like crossing a lake in the 70's (I assume for a good UK person, that is balmy!). The Nov/Dec had a bit of rain and cool on one day, nice in the 60's the rest. The FLL - Dove is a southern route and should be nice - but it Is weather.

As to a Balcony, with that many At Sea days, I'd go with a Balcony for sure. We loved ours, even on the rainy day. Good suggestion of going with a Starboard Cabin - faces South towards the Sun for the West-East crossing. Check with a TA or Princess for a covered veranda if possible. Also, check if you can get the same cabin for both cruises. You'll have to step off the ship in FLL to check through but it is quick and easy - they will handle all of your B2B'ers in a coordinated way. Bet there is a good number. And with the same cabin, you don't have to move anything. If you do, you just pack up your stuff in the drawers and BR and your steward will move everthing, and the steward hangs your closet stuff on a hanging roller. But it is nice in the same cabin!

Great idea and think you'll Love It!

Denny

Temps of 60's or 70's sounds good to me. Have done B2B before so know the drill. Think we'll go with the balcony idea for the whole trip. Hoping to get a cabin on Caribe deck (think they're the ones with half cover/half exposed?). This will be a very special cruise for us. DH was diagnosed with the dreaded 'C' last October so this MAY be our last cruise (but who knows? We celebrate our Emerald anniversary in April so sailing on the Emerald will be wonderful. Many thanks for your input. :)

Thanks for the reply. Actually the transatlantic portion starts on 27 April so not quite as early as beginning of April. Good idea about starboard side. We usually have port side cabins so glad about the heads up. Thanks :)

You originally stated April 7th. Those extra 3 weeks between the 7th and 27th make a big difference.

We sailed on the Crown two years ago on the same itinerary that you are taking, though we left on May 5. We had a balcony cabin on the Baja deck forward. The first two days out of Fort Lauderdale were sunny and warm and people were using the pools and the lounge chairs; then the next few days were sunny but cooler. Not quite so many people in or around the pool. By the time we got to the Azores, the temperature was around 60-65 F and it was a bit foggy and drizzly. But again it became sunny and warmer as we approached Lisbon, though I wouldn't call it pool weather. It poured buckets in Vigo, Spain and then was nice again as we sailed across the Bay of Biscay into Southampton. But saying that, I was glad to have the balcony. We could pull our chairs back towards the doors to stay out of the wind and we enjoyed sitting outside, albeit with a jacket or sweater, on those nice, sunny days. The trip is great and I would do it again in a minute!

You originally stated April 7th. Those extra 3 weeks between the 7th and 27th make a big difference.

Sorry Pia. Yes I did say 7 April, but that's when the Caribbean portion of the cruise starts. It's for 20 days, so transatlantic starts on 27 April. Sorry for the confusion :)

Temps of 60's or 70's sounds good to me. Have done B2B before so know the drill. Think we'll go with the balcony idea for the whole trip. Hoping to get a cabin on Caribe deck (think they're the ones with half cover/half exposed?). This will be a very special cruise for us. DH was diagnosed with the dreaded 'C' last October so this MAY be our last cruise (but who knows? We celebrate our Emerald anniversary in April so sailing on the Emerald will be wonderful. Many thanks for your input. :)

I agree, we like the the balconies on Caribe deck as you can pull the chairs/loungers out into the open if you wish to enjoy the sunshine or you can pull them back towards the door to be in the shade. Sorry to hear about your DH but what a great way to celebrate your Emerald anniversary:)

Cross west to east in the Spring rather than the other way in the Fall, for the best weather.

The actual crossing is done in lower latitudes, i.e they don't go up the US coast, then turn right; they head east, then turn left.

Expect calmish seas at this time of the year at those "Horse Latutudes". We've done it more than once and had blue skies and calm seas. Beautiful.

Now, once you get north of the Canaries, the weather can change dramatically. Cooler, wetter, and sometimes a little rough, especially across the Bay of Biscay (off western France) and into the English Channel. Med can be rainy in the Spring, too, sometimes.

Another TA to consider is Lisbon to Sao Paulo, where you head, in November, from the northern Fall into the southern Spring. Lots of sea days.

Sea Days: folk who have not experienced a multi-sea-day cruise wonder about them. Let me tell you, they are often better than the port days!

Go for it!

Archived