Paying for lounge chairs on Labadee?

Someone just posted a review of their Oasis cruise and said that they were "charged" $40 for lounge chairs on Labadee. I know that it is customary to tip the men who move your chairs for you on the beach, but has anyone ever felt that they've been "charged" for lounge chairs on Labadee?

We always just grab our own chairs and move them ourselves, and while I know some people have mentioned feeling uncomfortable and pressured for tips, I've never heard of anyone feeling they have to pay that much for a chair. Has anyone ever experienced this?

We were just there last week, there was no charge for chairs. We did tip a few dollars to the man who followed us to some chairs and dusted them off. I did hear you could rent one of the cabanas intended for suite guests for a hefty price but we are happy with just chairs.

Sherri:)

Someone just posted a review of their Oasis cruise and said that they were "charged" $40 for lounge chairs on Labadee. I know that it is customary to tip the men who move your chairs for you on the beach, but has anyone ever felt that they've been "charged" for lounge chairs on Labadee?

We always just grab our own chairs and move them ourselves, and while I know some people have mentioned feeling uncomfortable and pressured for tips, I've never heard of anyone feeling they have to pay that much for a chair. Has anyone ever experienced this?

I found that review after reading your question and believe that you gave the poster a kind and accurate response on the issue of paying for chairs.

I found that review after reading your question and believe that you gave the poster a kind and accurate response on the issue of paying for chairs.

Thanks. I felt so bad for him! But as I said, I'd never heard of such a thing and was just curious. We're "different" kinds of cruisers in that we don't really do much like excursions, but I feel like I'm on CC enough that I would've heard if that was now the norm.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1219962 (see #9 and 10, specifically)

I haven't been to Labadee since 2003, and I'm going back in 2011, I love it there.

While I didn't pay for our chairs or hammock, I do remember the guys working there being pretty aggressive when it came to money in general. That kind of thing doesn't bother or intimidate me in the slightest, as I am very able to say no when I want to, but I know it made some folks fairly uncomfortable.

The guys in Labadee were probably the most financially aggressive of any people I've met anywhere I have traveled, but I fully understand because Haiti is a very poor country and they gotta try. But again, I am totally comfortable saying no and walking away.

The most aggressive guy I came across there was the man that ran the hair braiding stand, he was just a flat out jerk.

In fact RCCL used to tell you not to tip because they were salaried by RCCL

They still do.... just off Oasis two weeks ago and saw a written notice someplace that said something like... please do not tip workers for beach chairs in Labadee....

Don't ask me where I saw it, because I don't remember... :o

I am looking at the Labadee brochure right now and it says "...guests are kindly requested not to offer payment for the chairs."

Yes, it does say that. However, both times I have been to Labadee the(very rude) chair people demanded payment for the chairs. Not $40, but they insisted on a tip, claiming they didn't really work for the cruise line - despite having the name tag. The first time this bothered me quite a bit because we had not brought any cash ashore and thus had nothing to give. I inquired at guest relations about this, and they told me that yes, they are all Royal employees and if it ever happened again to get their ID number because their contract prohibits asking for tips. So when I returned the second time I mentioned that detail to the tip demander, and surprise, surprise, he disappeared without another word.

That's not the only thing the review poster was clueless about....obviously new to cruising, at least RCCL. She mentions Costa Maya as a joke and says nothing to do beyond the mall...guess no one told her about fantastic Majahual:D Coz cute:confused: "not the best beaches"??? Very strange!:rolleyes:

Yes, it does say that. However, both times I have been to Labadee the(very rude) chair people demanded payment for the chairs. Not $40, but they insisted on a tip, claiming they didn't really work for the cruise line - despite having the name tag. The first time this bothered me quite a bit because we had not brought any cash ashore and thus had nothing to give. I inquired at guest relations about this, and they told me that yes, they are all Royal employees and if it ever happened again to get their ID number because their contract prohibits asking for tips. So when I returned the second time I mentioned that detail to the tip demander, and surprise, surprise, he disappeared without another word.

That's why we grab our own chairs. :(

Archived