How to get cheapest flight one way to London

yellow vw

If you're flying coach, a roundtrip ticket may be cheaper than a one-way. There's no law that says you have to actually show up for that return flight you don't really need. Just don't brag on what you're doing to the check-in agent [duh!].

I second crazy canuck's suggestion to at least check with Princess. I have found that cruise lines have usually been able to give me the best price on on way flights to or from Europe, SA and Asia.

Go Icelandair! Book directly from their website. I paid $325 (total with taxes and fees!) for one way New York-London in early Sept. They fly 757's and stop for a short layover in Reykjavik, Iceland. Our layover is one hour. And they even let you stay in Iceland for no extra charge for up to 7 days, if you'd like.

We paid £350 for one way LON - NYC. Princess would have charged £480, so a saving of $190 US pp.

I agree that cheapest isn't always best. Icelandair would be a good choice if you wanted to stop over, but the reviews I've read suggest they are a budget airline. Have a look at http://www.airlinequality.com for independent airline reviews.

If I'm doing a fly cruise, I like to arrive at least a couple of days in advance to make sure my luggage catches up with me, and usually make significant savings on hotels if booking them myself rather than with a cruise line. There are always exceptions though. When we did S America, we book a Celebrity post cruise package which gave us a transfer from the ship and 3 nights in a good hotel in Santiago cheaper than I could have done it independently.

Someone suggested buying round trip and not using the return. This technically contravenes your contract, and the airlines are within their rights (under UK law) to charge you for the higher single fare if you abuse a cheaper return ticket.

We paid £350 for one way LON - NYC. Princess would have charged £480, so a saving of $190 US pp.

I agree that cheapest isn't always best. Icelandair would be a good choice if you wanted to stop over, but the reviews I've read suggest they are a budget airline. Have a look at www.airlinequality.com for independent airline reviews.

If I'm doing a fly cruise, I like to arrive at least a couple of days in advance to make sure my luggage catches up with me, and usually make significant savings on hotels if booking them myself rather than with a cruise line. There are always exceptions though. When we did S America, we book a Celebrity post cruise package which gave us a transfer from the ship and 3 nights in a good hotel in Santiago cheaper than I could have done it independently.

Someone suggested buying round trip and not using the return. This technically contravenes your contract, and the airlines are within their rights (under UK law) to charge you for the higher single fare if you abuse a cheaper return ticket.

Thanks for the weblink. It was very interesting.:)

We are doing a B2B July 2 -August 7, on the Ocean Princess. We end up in New York so we only need transportation to London. Does anyone know the cheapest way we can get tickets?
Too bad you didn't book your air months ago. The closer you get to your flight date, the more expensive it will be. :(

Go Icelandair! Book directly from their website. I paid $325 (total with taxes and fees!) for one way New York-London in early Sept. They fly 757's and stop for a short layover in Reykjavik, Iceland. Our layover is one hour. And they even let you stay in Iceland for no extra charge for up to 7 days, if you'd like.

They are a great airline to fly....wonderful service!

I often use this web site http://www.itasoftware.com/ It shows you the routes/prices of various airlines. If you find something good, you then go to the airlines website directly. It has often shown me fares/routes that were not on other travel web sites.

Good luck, hopefully you can get some last minute promotion.

Looking at the cruise details, I thing Yellow is talking about 2011.

It's too early to get on-line quotes for flights that far ahead, but to get an idea of likely costs and options, for a flight on Thur June 9 2011, BA (nonstop) are currently quoting $1092, Icelandair (via Reykjavik) are quoting $388.

Wait till mid July to get accurate quotes for the date you want.

Archived