Is it in poor taste to wear a cocktail dress on smart casual nite?

slimkat

I think how one behaves is far more important than what one is wearing. Being inclusive and doing your best to make whomever is in your company comfortable would hopefully overcome what either party

were wearing...

For all the threads and posts on "what not to wear", I can never recall when attire was ever an issue at our table.

I think HALs dress code is for the most part working just fine. :)

The legitimate concern some may have is that if HAL gets the notion from these boards that there is a broad consensus for doing away with formal nights, a grand tradition will be lost. To that end it is reasonable to demonstrate that no such consensus exists. The discussion should be civil and does not require name calling or photographic evidence of violators or repeating the same arguments over and over again at each other ad nauseam.

Let us all just accept that if there are rules (anywhere) they will be violated by some and it is a fact of life.

I think HAL can take it as read that there is no need to change the dress code mostly because as it stands, there is something in it for everybody.

What is the expression? Love the sinner - hate the sin.

I agree with you, inclusivity demands we just realize we are all on the same boat.

Smooth sailing to you...:D

Okay!! I have to admit that reading the threads on how to dress on a HAL cruise has me worried. This what my husband and I have planned:

smart casual nights/nice slacks and dressy blouse or Sunday dress for me

slacks and a collared knit shirt for my husband

formal nights/cocktail dress for me and a western dress jacket with black slacks and a tie for my husband

If we decide to eat in the Lido will it be okay to wear our jeans/capri's etc...?

Does this sound okay?

Western dress jacket and tie certainly sounds good for formal night where regional/traditional dress is right on --like a kilt on someone of Scots or Irish descent -- or mess uniform for retired military: they all add to the ambience.

I agree with you 100% ... both in terms of the issue of being inclusive in one's behavior and in terms of your kind words about my mother. HOWEVER, she views herself as a poor, uneducated, low-born country girl, the daughter of a share cropper (before WWII) and a "Rosy the Riveter" (during WWII). Her self-opinion has been, and continues to be, very self deprecating; meeting people and experiencing the joy of cruising has helped her, some, but she still has a terrible self-image ... one that is often articulated by viewing others as being "above her" based entirely upon what they wear.

Then she should take great pride in a clearly educated son who wears a tux rather well.:)

There are many "high born" whose off spring have not fared quite so well. Perhaps she could do a little "self talking "about the son she has raised and hold her head very high.

I am so glad cruising is enjoyable for her. You can not make people unfeel how they feel as much as you would like to.Everyone has a story and her's sounds fascinating with a much happier ending than most.

I have seen people dress very formal on casual nights. One formally dressed couple I spoke with told me it was their wedding anniversary. I felt that it was just fine for them to be dressed up for their special night. It was not a formal night on board but it was their special night.

So I put this question to all of you.

Do you think it is OK to dress up on a casual night if you have a special occasion?

Maria

I am a "girly girl" and prefer skirts to trousers and dresses to skirts, so when other ladies are wearing cute capris and tank tops on smart casual nights, I wear a wrap dress or a skirt with coordinating top. I've never felt out of place on smart casual nights---just more comfortable with my own style. (I do save the sequins and full length dresses for formal night.) It's just a personal preference. You shouldn't worry about it.

Phew!!! I was a little anxious to see the responses when I saw there were two pages of them but thank goodness there was no flaming going on. Thanks for all of your responses. It seems I will be very much "within range" in the MDR.

:)

Our first HAL cruise is coming up, so I'm not speaking from experience on HAL. My regular wear for dinner is never as casual as that of most cruisers, NCL, Carnival, or Princess. Even on NCL, the cruise line where formal night is now "Formal Night or Not", we see people dressed up on regular nights. So on HAL, where dressing nicely is still practiced, you should not stand out.

If you have fixed seating and wanted to get really dressed up for a special occasion, it would be corteous to your tablemates to skip the MDR and go to the Pinnacle. As far as not dressing nicely for fear of intimidating a tablemate goes, this would be a rare situation. If you find yourself sitting with someone who is easily intimidated, you can always dress down a little as a courtesy to them.

If you have fixed seating and wanted to get really dressed up for a special occasion, it would be corteous to your tablemates to skip the MDR and go to the Pinnacle. As far as not dressing nicely for fear of intimidating a tablemate goes, this would be a rare situation. If you find yourself sitting with someone who is easily intimidated, you can always dress down a little as a courtesy to them.

Wow. This is why we always get tables for two. I'm not going to psychoanalyze the people at my table, and moreover, once the cruise has begun, I can't change the clothes I have. :rolleyes:

What happened to "what people are wearing doesn't affect me" (not a quote from you, LindaKE)? Why doesn't that work both ways?

I just do what I enjoy and wear what I feel like wearing that particular day. (Other than formal nights when I always dress formally) I often dress up a little more than necessary on casual nights....just because I feel like it!!

I am confused. Dressing up as a courtesy to tablemates. Dressing down as a courtesy to tablemates. It is enough to make one's head hurt. We will just go and have a good time, feel neither insecure, secure, underdressed, overdressed. For us, it is not much of a holiday if we have to keep thinking about what people will think of our attire. Not that we would in any event.

I am confused. Dressing up as a courtesy to tablemates. Dressing down as a courtesy to tablemates. It is enough to make one's head hurt. We will just go and have a good time, feel neither insecure, secure, underdressed, overdressed. For us, it is not much of a holiday if we have to keep thinking about what people will think of our attire. Not that we would in any event.

Exactly

What the hell.

How about wearing clean decent clothing and when you get to the dining room behave in a civil, respectful manner to your tablemates and servers.

What could possibly be better than that?

These people that need a 12 step program and a Xanax to get through a meal because someone 8 tables away will look down on the blouse you bought at Chicos, Harpos, Grouchos or wherever the hell you bought it need to get a friggin' grip.

And the person 8 tables away that would make that person feel bad about their blouse needs a whole lot more than a grip.:)

It was very nice that the OP checked back in and let CC members know that their responses were helpful and she thanked them. Can it be left there? Is there any real need to continue to 'discuss' the vagueness of HAL's Know Before You Go guidance Dress Code?

Dennis

Our first HAL cruise is coming up, so I'm not speaking from experience on HAL. My regular wear for dinner is never as casual as that of most cruisers, NCL, Carnival, or Princess. Even on NCL, the cruise line where formal night is now "Formal Night or Not", we see people dressed up on regular nights. So on HAL, where dressing nicely is still practiced, you should not stand out.

We are now officially in a land known as the TWILIGHT ZONE!

Rich

I have seen people dress very formal on casual nights. One formally dressed couple I spoke with told me it was their wedding anniversary. I felt that it was just fine for them to be dressed up for their special night. It was not a formal night on board but it was their special night.

So I put this question to all of you.

Do you think it is OK to dress up on a casual night if you have a special occasion?

That's a different question, but a good one. The occasion of an Anniversary is, truly, a special one and calls for celebration in many different ways ... one of those may well be dressing up and going out for a special dinner ... let us say in the Pinnacle Grill. :) Personally, I wouldn't Tux-it-up on a Non-Formal Night for such a special occasion, but a jacket and tie or clerics would certainly be appropriate. On some similar occasions we've waited to celebrate on the closest formal night. :) They did that several years back for my birthday ... it was nice. :)

On some similar occasions we've waited to celebrate on the closest formal night. :) They did that several years back for my birthday ... it was nice. :)

Thanks, That is a great idea. I did not think of that! By waiting for a formal night then every one is dress for your special day. And the atmosphere would be more party like.

Maria

exactly

what the hell.

How about wearing clean decent clothing and when you get to the dining room behave in a civil, respectful manner to your tablemates and servers.

What could possibly be better than that?

These people that need a 12 step program and a xanax to get through a meal because someone 8 tables away will look down on the blouse you bought at chicos, harpos, grouchos or wherever the hell you bought it need to get a friggin' grip.

And the person 8 tables away that would make that person feel bad about their blouse needs a whole lot more than a grip.:)

lol:d

Here's a thought: why not just check the published suggestions about dress and go along with what is requested? The guidelines really aren't that hard to understand.

That is sort of like when all else fails, follow the directions. :D

Life need not be more complicated than that.

Smooth sailing to you...

Along with whatever outfit you choose: Wear confidence. If you are confident your carriage, everything will look fabulous on you! :)

Also don't forget to wear a smile. It is the ultimate accessory and you don't have to take up precious suitcase space packing it!

Perhaps HAL has a very high percentage of insecure customers...or maybe this board has a high percentage of insecure travellers.

Interesting theory.

If either, it's more likely to be the second of the two. Which causes one to wonder as to a possible correlation between the two -- i.e., do we post on these boards so much because there may be certain kinds of insecurities in-play?? Hmmmmm ...

Archived