Laundry

colomom

Please clarify for me the laundry situation onboard.

I believe that the self-service laundry is entirely free (correct me if I am wrong) but what about laundry soap/fabric softener? Do I need to bring quarters?

What about laundry sent out? Can anyone tell me the charge for that service? Can I use my OBC to pay for laundry service?

TIA

2 months 2 weeks 6 days

Self-service laundries on board include soap. No quarters required. You may have to bring your own fabric softener - we don't use it so don't remember if it was provided but don't recall seeing any.

You can use SBC to pay for "sent out" laundry & dry cleaning.

Please clarify for me the laundry situation onboard.

I believe that the self-service laundry is entirely free (correct me if I am wrong) but what about laundry soap/fabric softener? Do I need to bring quarters?

What about laundry sent out? Can anyone tell me the charge for that service? Can I use my OBC to pay for laundry service?

TIA

2 months 2 weeks 6 days

Not that you are counting?? Laundry is totally free including detergent. Pretty sure the detergent is automatically dispensed into the washer. You need to bring dryer sheets if you need them. No need for quarters as no place to put them.

I'm sure you will leave the Navigator in great shape for my DW and me. Please save me a lot of the King Crab Legs!!

Did laundry on last cruise. Machine cycles take forever. Long line waiting for machines so I finally pulled my clothes out of dryer, still fairly damp, and laid them out to dry in cabin. So do your laundry at an off time and expect it to take a long time.

As posted, the self service laundry is completely free. Detergent is dispensed into your wash. Initially, the machines are a bit of a challenge but directions are printed on the machien & other pax are friendly & helpful. There is a 'laundry club' atmosphere.

Sending items out to the laundry was a mixed bag on our recent 35 day segment [but not on our several previous Regent cruises]. There were marked delays in returns as well as a problem w. a lot of misdelivered itnes that took days to relocate. Pressing was sub standard [iMHO]. Our friends had their very expensive silks quite damaged by the dry cleaners. While the GM readilky agreed to credit this disaster, it was not a cash re-imbursement but rather, a credit for their next cruise.

My report refelcts our experience March/April 2010 on Voyager. I have no idea re: more recent experiences.

As pointed out above, self-service laundry is entirely free. We usually have a suite on deck 7, and one tip is that if the machines on that deck are full, go down to 6. You will often find an empty machine there because there are so many fewer suites on that deck.

The detergent is hooked into the machine; however, it does not AUTOMATICALLY dispense. You have to push a button. Just follow the directions posted.

As far as the laundry done by the ship. yes, you can use OBC for that. And we have always gotten everything back on time or earlier. No problems with lost items. I think they were having a problem at one point during the world cruise, but that is fixed now.

The prices are more than what I would pay at home, so I just had them do a couple of shirts and pants that were really needed and that I didn't want to wash myself.

used obc for laundry on navigator this month. if you are in a butler suite they do pressing of items for the first night complimentary. later had 3 dress shirts pressed for $12. cleaning and pressing was more. laundry was like several dollars for underwear. no problems with delivery and job was done well. heard the dryers take forever to do pants. I recommend self service for laundry that dries easily, let the ship do the rest.

I'm finding the replys to this to be fairly location specific. I can tell you that in March on the Mariner the washer closest to the door in the laundry room on 9 was incredibly slow but the other two were great. My husband got his shirts back the same day and the ships laundry did a better job than our cleaners here. Yes it was $5.50/per but I certainly didn't mind paying that on vacation. I HATE TO IRON.

I was a bit worried about the auto dispensing detergent as I have several issues with contact dermatitis and laundry detergent, but it was just fine. And thanks to good information on this board, I took my own dryer sheets.

Thanks everyone for your responses!

Not that you are counting?? Laundry is totally free including detergent. Pretty sure the detergent is automatically dispensed into the washer. You need to bring dryer sheets if you need them. No need for quarters as no place to put them.

I'm sure you will leave the Navigator in great shape for my DW and me. Please save me a lot of the King Crab Legs!!

No guarantees Dave...I plan on having it for breakfast, lunch and dinner!!!

colossal-king-crab-legs.jpgeating.gif

Look at it this way. The ships laundry is quick, efficient, and expensive. They do however do an excellent job. You have paid $15000 or more for a cruise. So what if you spend an extra $50 to get some garments laundered. You probably have more than that in shipboard credits. Consider all the time wasted should you choose to watch a washer or dryer spin. It's a no brainer.

So what if you spend an extra $50 to get some garments laundered. You probably have more than that in shipboard credits. Consider all the time wasted should you choose to watch a washer or dryer spin. It's a no brainer.

How the other half lives!

It may be a no brainer for some, but for me it is only by saving those dollars that I get to do the cruise or another cruise.

I use shipboard credits for laundry. But I won't send out underwear and socks to be laundered. Just seems silly to me, and I don't want anyone else washing my undies. I also don't want someone else washing and drying a t-shirt for me. Mine have to be line-dried, so I will wash several and hang them on the line over the bathtub to dry.

On the other hand, I love sending David's shirts and pants out, 'cause I don't have to iron them! (I hate ironing, and the only time these items get ironed is before a cruise!)

Look at it this way. The ships laundry is quick, efficient, and expensive. They do however do an excellent job. You have paid $15000 or more for a cruise. So what if you spend an extra $50 to get some garments laundered. You probably have more than that in shipboard credits. Consider all the time wasted should you choose to watch a washer or dryer spin. It's a no brainer.

On our first cruise, our room was located near the laundry (no, you can't hear it!) and it was easy to pop in a load, note the time, and go back to our room. Cocktail hour, when people weren't all back from afternoon excursions yet, was a great time to do it. :)

Just a tip....on my recent Voyager cruise I found out the hard way if you push the button that states normal wash, it takes over an hour to wash a load. I believe it's button number 6 and you can get a quick wash for only 14 or 16 minutes. My clothes don't get that soiled on a cruise and and a quick wash is fine. Met some lovely people in the laundry room trying to figure out the machines. Have a great cruise..

There have been a few references to dryer sheets in this

thread. Please excuse my ignorance, but what are

dryer sheets?

Les

Dryer sheets are fabric-like squares (about 10 inches by 10 inches) that are infused with fabric softener and anti-static product. You just toss them into the dryer with your clothes. Very convenient.

Normally, you would not need to do laundry for a 7 night cruise; however, my husband and I often do pre or post cruise tours that involve a lot of hiking (in the 20 mile per day range). This is a whole different set of clothing than what we wear on the cruise ship. And even if it were the same clothing, with that strenuous amount of hiking, they would be way too sweaty and stinky for normal company.

Archived