Does Carnival waste photo paper?

evandbob

So many pictures, so much paper! Granted, it may be fun to look for your photos on your first or second cruise, but would it be better if Carnival just set up enough monitors so you could just view your pics on screen? I saw this setup at a Dreams resort and thought hey, all that paper and ink is being saved, as well as floor space? More room for shops/other venues. The money Carnival saves could be used to lower the price of your photos (yeah right).

I think most people are more apt to buy a picture that is already printed as opposed to seeing it in digital format. That added to the fact that most people don't want to stand in line waiting for a printer to print off pictures.

Several years ago we had returned from our cruise and I was at work one day when someone came to the office and said someone needed to see me. Expecting a compaint, I went outside and a lady from our small town, about 12,000, said she had a picture for me. She was getting off the ship and saw a huge container being thrown away, our picture was on top, she picked it up and brought it to me. The ironic thing is we did not even know she was on our cruise, she just recognized me from work and picked it up.

It would be great if some how they could link your photo's to your cabin TV and you could view them and purchase on screen.

Like they do your sign and sail account that you can view during the week.

Marcy

On formal night I do 7 or 8 poses for a photographer and then only choose one photo to buy. I bring it home and I duplicate it and give to my family members.

I am also in the habit of looking at all of my photos and then throwing them into their photo waste basket. I don't want other people to see my photos that look bad.

Carnval throws away thousands of prints from each cruise every week. According to John H. a system of digital photos is in the works. Aparently Carnival believes that more people will buy from digital than from preprinted paper or they would not be going that way if in fact Carnival is going that way.

I also wondered why they would waste so much paper! On our first cruise we bought over $100 in pics but after that, maybe 1. I think the idea of linking them to your cabin tv is great. And be able to click what you want to purchase, the cost automatically gets added to your S&S account, and your photos are ready to pick up when you are. OR, have them delivered to your cabin. Maybe in the future.....:rolleyes:

They waste tons of paper but I am sure they make tons of money selling the pics that they do.

Otherwise they would not have all the photogs hanging around taking pic after pic knowing that a large majority will be discarded.

My take what every cruiser can and should do their part if they don't plan to buy pictures don't pose for them. We always decline the embarkation, port disembarkation, candids, and dinner. We will wait inline for formal sittings and haft to admit we've bought a few.

As to Carnival or other cruiseline changing, I think they make enough money and that is all they care about. If other things generated more money they'd do it for sure! Doing the personalized where they pipe it to your room requires lots of infrastructure. Why don't the business minded of you create the hardware and software for them. Swipe the card and record the pictures and tag them... opps the DSLRs don't do that. The yield and overhead of tagging pictures is a slow process by hand. I see it done at ski slopes all the time. YOu'd not want them doing this on the cruise, trust me.

Don't even get to talking about how much other un green stuff cruising does :eek:

So many pictures, so much paper! Granted, it may be fun to look for your photos on your first or second cruise, but would it be better if Carnival just set up enough monitors so you could just view your pics on screen? I saw this setup at a Dreams resort and thought hey, all that paper and ink is being saved, as well as floor space? More room for shops/other venues. The money Carnival saves could be used to lower the price of your photos (yeah right).

Sure, it's a waste, but I'm guessing that they still make tons of money on the pics, especially these days with photos being so cheap, and almost literally in everyone's hands.

We've never bought any of the photos taken of us. For that matter, we've never even looked for them on the displays.

It would be great if they had a system like Disney does, where you can pick out your photos after you return for a finite amount of time (but can pay for extensions). I've heard that Disney makes a TON on it.

Carnval throws away thousands of prints from each cruise every week. According to John H. a system of digital photos is in the works. Aparently Carnival believes that more people will buy from digital than from preprinted paper or they would not be going that way if in fact Carnival is going that way.

They're doing it that way to make more money. The prices will be exactly the same, and they'll have less cost to print.

The Disney option is awesome! They give you a band, scan it when they take the photo. If more than one person receives a band, you can combine orders. At the end (when you return home) you have the option of purchasing all photos for about $120 and they will mail you a disk. As you are placing the order...say you had 10 pictures taken, you can crop the original photo (then have 2 photos of the same photo), you can also add digital art (in Carnival's case, they can use the ship's name, the names of the islands, Captains Dinner, Camp Carnival, fun in the sun, the choices are endless. But with all the choices, you can turn the original 10 pictures into 20 and still remain the same price. Carnival photographers should check out the Disney photographers equipment.

I think most people are more apt to buy a picture that is already printed as opposed to seeing it in digital format. That added to the fact that most people don't want to stand in line waiting for a printer to print off pictures.

I think people would be more apt to view and purchase their pictures if they could do so in their room instead of going to a specific deck and trying to find them among all the others.

It would be great if they had a system like Disney does, where you can pick out your photos after you return for a finite amount of time (but can pay for extensions). I've heard that Disney makes a TON on it.

This is exactly what I was going to post. Disney has the best system I have seen. It is also nice that you can order the pictures when you get back.

I think people would be more apt to view and purchase their pictures if they could do so in their room instead of going to a specific deck and trying to find them among all the others.

I know I would

I agree that it would be so much better if we didn't have to fight the crowds and look at thousands of photos to find our few. Sometimes, I feel like I'm gonna go BLIND if I look at another row of photos! :eek: And for that very reason, we haven't bought many lately. :rolleyes:

if they reduced the price I would buy some maybe lots-lol! If they had the disk like disney unlimited picture for a set price I would go for it and i'd stop at every picture stand-lol! I think they would make muncho dinero!!! lotsa money!!

Reduce the $$ . Just get back to making more 5X7 prints , not all 8X10's as now is the case.

Also more "Buy X get X free" would save photo's from the recycle bin. ;)

It is VERY frustrating that they will not print you a 5x7 - until you buy the 8x10 :eek:. When I have a 5x7 frame - and do not want the 8x10 :mad:.

I do hope that they go to a digital system that you can order what you want and not be forced to buy what they print.

It would be great if some how they could link your photo's to your cabin TV and you could view them and purchase on screen.

Like they do your sign and sail account that you can view during the week.

Marcy

YES!!! I totally agree and often thought this would be great to view the pics on the tv in your room, instead of trying to squeeze in and around all the others looking for their pictures.

Archived