Is Disney World Doable??

sealady1

Good Morning Everyone,

My best friend and I are planning a "girls only" cruise. We are thinking about the 9/4/11 sailing of the Pride out of Baltimore to the Bahamas. The first port of call is Port Canavaral from 7AM to 7PM. We would like to go to Disney World for the day. Is this doable?

Thank you,

Debbie

My family went to disney world last summer and had so much fun. Disney has specials almost every summer that are pretty good. If it were me I'd plan that trip for another day. We went for 7 days and they have different parks and you'll want to do them all because they are completely different. I don't think you'll have time to really experience disney the way you're suppose to w/ just a few hrs. They have fireworks at night at magic kingdom and at epcot that are just great w/ parades. Also, we stayed on site so we never left the park the whole week except to go to another park by shuttle. You might have fun for a day but you really need to be there a few day - just my opinion.

It would be doable but....Driving time is going to eat up about 3 hours of your day. Figure being back to the pier by 6:00. This takes four hours off your time. Then if there is an accident along your route.....

I really don't think myself with the amount of things to do there you would have time to enjoy it.

I don't think so...We go to Disney several times a year and we still would never try that, even just to see the "big" rides and such, and the traffic, crowds etc...you need much more time..

Your driving time may even be extended a bit... this past week they have begun getting ready for the construction of another toll booth on 528 (the beachline). At the moment, it isn't slowing us much (cones on each side of the lanes) but I expect it is going to start backing things up soon.

If you decide to go, I would do so through the cruiseline rather than on your own.

Cocoa Beach is a nice place to visit if you decide to stay closer to the pier.... hope you have a great time!

If my forward calendar is correct, that'll also be Labor Day...the semi-offical last day of summer vacation for families. The Park will be very crowded. You're a good hour-75 minutes from the Park (and from Universal if you're thinking alternative) on a non-business day. Add 20-30 minutes to get the rental. Plus any lines to enter the park. You're talking 1/2 your available port time spent getting to and from DW. Suggest you consider Kennedy Space Center which is closer, cheaper admission and has a lot to see in its own right.

Well, "Disney World" is 4 different parks so you'd have to decide which one is important to you. Having been to Disney 40 times, I can say that there is no way I would do it in your time constraints. Besides the travel time to get there, you'll be spending your day worrying about getting back to the ship. I second the suggestion to do Kennedy Space Center.

We're doing Disney on our Pride trip in August.

We've been to WDW several times, and have no problems doing just a 'few' things. We just want to be there.

We already have tickets...left over days from older admission tickets...so no real cost there and no time spent at the Ticket/Transportation center to buy them.

Our splurge will be on transportation. To save time, we are bypassing a car rental and booking a towncar to pick us up right at the port and take us right to the gates of the Magic Kingdom, and have the car service pick us up around 4:30-5pm for the ride back. With a 7pm departure, we figure that's plenty of time to get back...and the Carnival excursion probably leaves around the same time.

No customs to clear once docking since we won't be coming from a foreign port yet...so we expect to be off the ship first thing, around 7:30 or so. With a car waiting, we figure we can be at the Magic Kingdom gates by 9am since we won't be spending the time to shuttle to a rental agency and wait in lines with others trying to rent cars. 9am until 4:30-5pm is PLENTY of time in the August Florida heat to enjoy ourselves.

Just not enough time to "git-r-done". You're stomach would be "in a knot" wondering if you're going to get back in time to sail. Like the above posters said,,,for the amount of money it costs to get into the park, you just wouldn't have enough time to enjoy yourself. I'd suggest going to the "Kennedy Space Center" instead.

"SKY"

We're doing Disney on our Pride trip in August.

To save time, we are bypassing a car rental and booking a towncar to pick us up right at the port and take us right to the gates of the Magic Kingdom, and have the car service pick us up around 4:30-5pm for the ride back. With a 7pm departure, we figure that's plenty of time to get back...and the Carnival excursion probably leaves around the same time.

I just noticed that the Pride usually hits Port Canaveral on Wednesdays. If you've never experienced Orlando traffic in rush hour, you may be cutting it close. You'll have to be back on the ship by 6:30P. So IMO, at least try for 4 or 4:30 PM pickup, not 5PM. The difference between your trip and Carnival's excursion is even if they leave around the same time, if Carnival gets delayed, the ship will wait. If you get delayed, the ship won't wait. Better cutting your Disney adventure short and playing it safe than missing the ship.

We are cruising the Pride in February. After considerable research we are doing the cruiselines excursion to take us to seaworld. Its a 9 hour trip. and its really only a matter of a few bucks more to do it through the cruiselines.

You can do Disney WOrld in one day-- if you pick one park and have a plan. Seems you will get to stay in the park for 6 hours. Its gonna be HOT HOT HOT-- and dont forget the humidty.

(we are going for a week at the end of Sept.) I am taking it for granted you want the magic kingdom since Disney WOrld is so huge

http://www.carnival.com/ShoreExcursionsSearchResults.aspx?region=CW&portcode=PCV&portname=PORT+CANAVERAL+(ORLANDO)%2c+FL

On this magical excursion you will:

•Stroll down nostalgic Main Street, USA leads you to six magical lands: Frontierland, Adventureland, Liberty Square, Fantasy Land, Mickey’s Toontown Fair, and Tomorrowland.

•Walk through Cinderella’s Castle into Fantasy Land where singing dolls from faraway lands bring the world together in It’s a Small World.

•In Adventureland, climb the Swiss Family Treehouse and watch as pirates pillage and plunder in The Pirates of the Caribbean. Travel ahead in time in Tomorrowland as you come face to face with an alien in Alien Encounter and fight the evil forces in Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin or blast into the outer galaxy past shooting stars and other worldly celestial satellites on Space Mountain.

•Have your camera ready at all times as Disney characters roam the park for plenty of photo and autograph opportunities. Join the fun for kids of all ages!

Note: Journey time to the park is approximately one hour each way. Children’s admission rates for Walt Disney World are applicable for ages 3-9 years only, per park policy. Strollers, wheelchairs, and lockers are available for rent at the park, but cannot be guaranteed. Cool clothing, comfortable walking shoes, a hat, and sunscreen are recommended.

this tour is 160.00pp for adults.

I would say definitely doable but I would also go with the ship on this one. Too many variables when you are going that far away. Having said that, the parks should be pretty quiet so you should be able to do a lot. Be sure to do your Disney homework too so you know how to navigate the park.

Good Morning Everyone,

My best friend and I are planning a "girls only" cruise. We are thinking about the 9/4/11 sailing of the Pride out of Baltimore to the Bahamas. The first port of call is Port Canavaral from 7AM to 7PM. We would like to go to Disney World for the day. Is this doable?

Thank you,

Debbie

We did it last November and we had a blast. A towncar picked us up at the ship around 7:30. We had them drop us off at the Swan and Dolphin. We got on the Disney boat to the back entrance of Epcot. We had tickets in advance. There was no line at the gate. We walked through and enjoyed Epcot and the food and wine festival. We were in the park at 9 am.

At 4 pm, we took the boat back to the Swan and Dolphin. The limo was waiting for us there. We were back on the Pride by 6 pm, with an hour to spare.

It can be done and it can be fun, if you plan ahead and don't try to see more than one park.

FYI.... We have combined Disney with a cruise every year for the past ten years. We have never had the trip between the parks and the port take more than one hour fifteen. I am NOT saying that accidents don't happen. They do.

Just do not push the outside of the envelope......

Have fun:)

Good Morning Everyone,

Thank you,

Debbie

On my last cruise I flew into Orlando for Port Canaveral. After the cruise I took a hotel near Universal Studio and rented a car. On disembarkment day, I didn't have enough time to go to Universal. By the time I got to the airport, got the car, drove to the hotel and checked in, it was after 1:30pm. Locals advised that it would not have been worth the cost of the tickets that late in the day. The next morning I drove to Disney, arrived about 10:00am. I purchased a hopper ticket to enter all the parks of Disney, $139.00. I was there until the park closed and still didn't get to do all the things that I wanted. Even if you only go to one park, $79 or $89, you won't have time to really enjoy it. Have a great cruise. :)

It is "doable", so the question isn't "can you", but "should you". :D

If you are a Disney veteran it is probably possible to make the trip and get in some quantity as well as quality (such as knowing to go through the Swan instead of the main gate to Epcott).

If you've never been to Disney at all, and just want to experience it on your port hop... that is another reason to go ahead and do it, but I would seriously take the ship excursion if that's the case.

We know central florida well, and drive it all the time, but I wouldn't be comfortable trying to drive back to the port without a pretty decent window of time. I would either go with the town car idea (I like that one a lot) or just take the ship's excursion and make my own plan once we hit the gate- basically just using the transportation from Carnival.

if you have your heart set on Disney, why don't you do typhoon lagoon? It is a Disney water park, with beautiful man made beaches, lazy river etc. We live in south Florida and are probably experts on doing Disney. We don't do the parks in the summer. Too crowded, too hot! We will do the water parks or Disney quest. 5 floors of video games in a blissfully air conditioned building. I am not a gamer, but i have enjoyed the retro 80's games, and then they have immersion games that can be fun. We start the mini parks at 9-ish, (disneyquest opens later), and are done by 2. Plenty of time to stroll around Disney market place. Recommend Earl of Sandwich for good, yet surprisingly inexpensive food. Top that off with a Sunday from Ghirardelli. Should have plenty of time to get back to the ship. Whatever you choose...i hope it is magical;)

im all about disney world;)but would only consider if doing ship's excursion. If there is accident on beeline/I-4 the driver will know & 'skirt it' to get u back to ship

Universal would be a far better choice, quicker drive, smaller parks (you could pick one to concentrate upon or both, if you are Harry Potter fans i'd go with IOA)

even though baltimore is within driving distance of me, i won't consider the pride itinerary that includes PCanaveral as it doesn't really give enough time to enjoy the parks.

if the parks are a priority & you can change your booking without penalty, you might want to consider a shorter cruise originating out of PC, spending a couple of days in MCO 1st:)

im all about disney world;)but would only consider if doing ship's excursion. If there is accident on beeline/I-4 the driver will know & 'skirt it' to get u back to ship

Universal would be a far better choice, quicker drive, smaller parks (you could pick one to concentrate upon or both, if you are Harry Potter fans i'd go with IOA)

even though baltimore is within driving distance of me, i won't consider the pride itinerary that includes PCanaveral as it doesn't really give enough time to enjoy the parks.

if the parks are a priority & you can change your booking without penalty, you might want to consider a shorter cruise originating out of PC, spending a couple of days in MCO 1st:)

Which is another big reason why we're hiring a towncar service. Those drivers know the area and will be able to find whatever alternate route is available to get is where we need to be.

Because we already have our tickets, our 'excursion' cost will be less than half of what Carnival will charge. Kid's already know that we'll only see a few things...but then we've seen it all and done it all many times. Just being at Disney and walking around, even for a couple of hours, is enough for us.

Archived