Midnight Buffet

I've always enjoyed the Midnight Buffets back when I cruised on Celebrity in the early 2000's. Last year we went on our first RC cruise and there was not a midnight buffet. What I was not sure of is whether it was because it was a 5-night cruise or if RC doesn't have midnight buffets. Can anyone enlighten me? Just curious...

No more midnight buffets like you remember.....now most ships have a Caribbean Pool Deck party late one night........dancing,drinks,food........but not at all like all the extravagant carvings you know...

Even 4 day Majesty has a midnight pool party with elaborate ice carvings and vegetable/fruit garnish along with BBQ type meat dishes, but no more vast quantities of Chocolate, etc. Just one of the first cost cutting measures to go into effect. It was a terrible waste of food and money. We never made it to any of the grand buffets before they discontinued them. We were just too tired to stay up that late, but finally made the Majesty party. Nothing to be all excited about but a nice spread never the less for those wanting to eat that late:D

The FOS has a "Freedom Fest" the last day which is a little like a scaled-down noon version of the midnight buffet. Fruit carvings, ice sculptures, food + napkin/towel folding demonstrations and shopping. It was enjoyable!

there was a midnight buffet on the Splendour of the Seas out of Venice last month. Next to the pool. I was told there would be spectacular carvings so I made a point of going up to look at them. At 11:30pm there were lots of people waiting to eat and trying to take pictures of the carvings. I didn't notice the food; I was still full from dinner but the carvings were incredible.

The midnight buffets were a total waste of food. Nice to look at, but that was about it.

I totally agree. I always felt badly knowing that so much food was going to be thrown away uneaten. Lately there has been a "theme" type midnight buffet - a chocolate one that I can remember on a recent cruise. Not quite as wasteful.

I think all lines have dropped the wonderful midnight buffets as we remember them. I'm sure it was because of all the wastefullness. They've cut in other areas, too, but I guess we are just more affected by the buffets. It was always a special treat, but now they all have other choices for us for those late night hunger attacks...still nothing could compare to those elaborate midnight buffets.:D At least we all have photos, right?

Carnival Conquest did a midnight mexican buffet on the night of the big deck party last month.

While I really enjoyed the pageantry of the midnight buffets of old, I can see where they would have lots of waste. It is probably for the best now, for we would see that food recycled and reused in the buffet somehow!

However ...

RCCL is introducing a chocolate breakfast buffet on the Oasis, Allure, Freedom and Liberty. All sorts of chocolatey goodness - waffles, pancakes, shakes. They tried it for the first time a few weeks ago on Oasis, and 2000 people showed up!

To me, this makes a lot more sense. It's novel, and it seems like there would be much less waste. People are more likely to eat more for breakfast, since you've got more time to burn it off, and you haven't just eaten dinner.

But any way you look at it, it sounds delicious! :D

However ...

RCCL is introducing a chocolate breakfast buffet on the Oasis, Allure, Freedom and Liberty. All sorts of chocolatey goodness - waffles, pancakes, shakes. They tried it for the first time a few weeks ago on Oasis, and 2000 people showed up!

To me, this makes a lot more sense. It's novel, and it seems like there would be much less waste. People are more likely to eat more for breakfast, since you've got more time to burn it off, and you haven't just eaten dinner.

But any way you look at it, it sounds delicious! :D

That sounds like a good idea. I can remember hitting up the chocolate buffet one time and saving chocolate croissants that we had with room service the next morning. That was pretty nice. :)

What is this huge infatuation with chocolate?:confused: And for breakfast?:eek:

At the Diamond breakfast on IOS they gave each table a little plate of chocolate themed baked goods such as muffins, croissants, & a couple other things. It was really good and I took the extra back to my room for my kids who didn't want to get up that early.

Our honeymoon cruise was on the Brilliance back in 2002, a 10 night "Circle The Carribean", and that cruise had both a midnight buffet and a chocolate buffet at midnight ... both were very elaborate and drew quite a crowd. Our other RCL cruises each had a midnight buffet, and while we wouldn't partake of the food (we were already stuffed from dinner), it was fun to walk through and enjoy the presentation.

We recently took the NCL Dawn to Bermuda out of New York, and while they had a chocolate buffet one evening, it seemed to us to be quite less ... hmmm ... "decadent" then what we remember. Definately nice, but just "less" then what what we saw on RCL, and it made us look forward to our next RCL cruise in 2011.

So to read this thread and see that they've eliminated the midnight buffet ... while we understand it from a business standpoint, it's still sad to see this tradition go by the wayside.

Michael and Silke

Archived