The Newlywed Game

Hi Everyone --

My fiance and I will be honeymooning on the Explorer this November, and we think it would be so fun to participate in the Newlywed Game.

Anyone have any tips as to how to be picked? Or is it just a sort of jump and scream the loudest deal?

Thanks!

They usually pick the couple that has been married the shortest amount of time (being on your honeymoon gives you a good chance), the couple that has been married the longest and then another couple somewhere in between. The third couple is the one that is chosen by the audience. They're the ones that will have to act like fools to get the loudest applause from the audience.

There is one elderly couple who have appeared on this over ten times.

They know all the questions.

They always win.

That would spoil it. The fun comes from the spontaneous answers. How fun can it be when they obviously rehearsed. :confused:

wear a skirt and have your husband pull it up in front of everyone...yeah, that happened on majesty when we were on it. hilarious. you could tell the girl was embarassed.

We saw a lady who fell out of her top!! and they also got picked. She didn't realize it for a second or two and another couple with them had to help her.

I just got of the Explorer on Saturday. The Love and Marriage show (Newly Wed) was lots of fun. When picking the contestants for the Newly Wed participants, those who wanted a chance were judged by audience approval of the "best Kiss". I would suggest you practice you best kiss as much as possible.

I did it almost 3 years ago on the Serenade... since there were a bunch of newly married couples, we all had to compete in saying oh baby, oh baby. My husband is a loud crazy character, so we got the most audience applause. Scary to say we won the contest too. ;)

My parents did it a number of years ago and got picked as the "old couple." I think this was shortly after their 50th anniversary. They got sort of crazy and ended up winning it. From then on everyone Dad passed onboard was calling him by his first name.

Next cruise will be just after their 60th and I doubt they remember the questions but have no doubt at all they can be crazy again if they want to try it in the presence of their sons, and our wives. Wondering if 60 years would be long enough for a lock as the most oldly weds.

If you do get picked, go over answers to common questions and/or answers before you play so you have a better chance of winning.

Ummm. Yeah, because that's what makes the game so much fun, couples having rehearsed answers, so they have a better chance of winning a bottle of "champagne".....

My parents on a carnival cruise about 7 years ago were picked for the newlywed game ( married 50 plus yrs). My father really wanted to do it and they were picked based on the years and my Dads fun personality..One of the questions was whats your favorite condiment and my Dad ( not the brightest bulb in the chandelier) misheard/misunderstood the question as he answered we're catholics we don't believe in condoms...My poor mother was mortified and she said the rest of the cruise she was subjected to people poking one another/pointing and whispering theres that couple from the newlywed game..I wish they had bought the video, it would have been fun to see..I don't know the rest of the questions/answers because they wouldn't give out any more details to us

On our last cruise they put tickets in a hat by category (newlywed, married longest etc) in a hat. If you wanted to participate you went up and got a ticket and you kept half and and they put the other in a hat. If they called out your number you were in. It was all for fun though as all 4 couples received the same prize in the end. It was a good show!

That would spoil it. The fun comes from the spontaneous answers. How fun can it be when they obviously rehearsed. :confused:

Some people will do just about anything for the trinkets and bottle of Champagne. I agree, how much fun can it be?

On the Liberty a couple of weeks ago, the newlyweds were chosen by audience applause. The wives had to say something like, "Tarzan, Tarzan, wherefore art thou Tarzan?" The husbands could then do whatever they wanted. I think each CD makes up the rules as to how to choose. Also, no one really kept score. All 3 couples "won", and got champagne plus a gift basket.

It's usually the most newly married couple - the couple married the longest and then the one in between usually has to do a minnie skit - acting as tarzan and jane

We were on it 4-5 years ago and we knew the cruise director - but he didn't know we were picked as the longest married and nearly passed out when he came on stage

Well my husband tells all, so it was very interesting some of the things he said - and funny too - we did win --the cruise director ended up in the audience because he was laughing so hard at my husband - and like someone said on here - everyone on the ship remembered "Bob" - only one lady remembered my name - they keep showing the show on tvs throughout the ship for the rest of the cruise so needless to say we were very popular for the rest of the trip. It was fun - we knew some of the questions because of all the cruises we've taken:)

You really don't have to rehearse. If you have been on numerous cruises you know the questions because they tend to ask the same ones.

Some people will do just about anything for the trinkets and bottle of Champagne. I agree, how much fun can it be?

That statement doesn't apply to everyone though.

When we participated, it was the first time we actually attended a love and marriage. We didn't do it for the prize (we don't drink champagne, give me bad headaches), we did it because it would be something to remember on our honeymoon. And boy do we! I'm surprised I'm still married after that, heehee! :eek:

That statement doesn't apply to everyone though.

When we participated, it was the first time we actually attended a love and marriage. We didn't do it for the prize (we don't drink champagne, give me bad headaches), we did it because it would be something to remember on our honeymoon. And boy do we! I'm surprised I'm still married after that, heehee! :eek:

Something I learned at a winery. Tiny bubbles tiny headache. Big bubbles BIG headache

We were picked as the middle couple last year on Explorer. We got the most applause for our kiss. We literally fell onto the stage. We only got 1 questions correct:confused: I laughed so hard during the whole game, I had tears rolling down my face. Our adult children and their guests that travel with us were pretty embarrassed especially when the CD pointed them out in the audience. For the rest of the cruise people kept coming up to us to tell us how funny we were:eek: The tape of the show they gave us in addition to several nice prizes was a nice momento of our family cruise:D

Archived