getting from airport to port?

aliwnec10

This may be a dumb question, but how do you get from the airport to the port? Does the cruise company offer free shuttles or is it included in the price?

We're traveling with my 2 1/2 year old and flying into Ft Lauderdale. Our port is Miami.

Do we have to bring the car seat and rent a car? taxi? HELP! ha

There are shuttles you can book thru the cruiseline, but it will be more expensive than getting transport on your own. However, it's a bus, so no carseat needed! Check the "Departure" boards for info on which companies to use....a taxi is NOT your best option from Ft. Laud to port of Miami.

You can purchase cruise line transfers from the airport to the port. They are not free. Ask your travel agent if transfers were included in the purchase price of your cruise. Our T/A adds them automatically to the cruise price because we've been using the same agency for 20+ years and they know how we do things.

Otherwise, you will be on your own to arrange the 45-minute trip between FLL and Miami. I can tell you that our friends paid $99.00 for two people to get a shuttle from the Miami airport to FLL back in November of 2009. I would imagine a taxi would be much more expensive and you would have to pay for a one-way car rental which will probably be close to $150.00 or higher (including the drop-off fee). Another great reason to have a good travel agent specializing in cruises.

The cruise transfers are usually much less, and can be purchased round-trip if need be. For example: transfer fees for my husband and myself from Anchorage Alaska down to the port at Whittier (about a 2 1/2 hour bus ride), and our transfers from the port in Vancouver to the Airport in Vancouver (about a 30-minute cab ride) were $78.00 each, (total of $156.00) purchased through Princess at the time of booking.

I don't know about the car seat. You will have to check with your travel agent or whichever shuttle service you use about that issue as we have no small children.

Hope this helps a bit.

You can purchase cruise line transfers from the airport to the port. They are not free. Ask your travel agent if transfers were included in the purchase price of your cruise. Our T/A adds them automatically to the cruise price because we've been using the same agency for 20+ years and they know how we do things.

Otherwise, you will be on your own to arrange the 45-minute trip between FLL and Miami. I can tell you that our friends paid $99.00 for two people to get a shuttle from the Miami airport to FLL back in November of 2009. I would imagine a taxi would be much more expensive and you would have to pay for a one-way car rental which will probably be close to $150.00 or higher (including the drop-off fee). Another great reason to have a good travel agent specializing in cruises.

The cruise transfers are usually much less, and can be purchased round-trip if need be. For example: transfer fees for my husband and myself from Anchorage Alaska down to the port at Whittier (about a 2 1/2 hour bus ride), and our transfers from the port in Vancouver to the Airport in Vancouver (about a 30-minute cab ride) were $78.00 each, (total of $156.00) purchased through Princess at the time of booking.

I don't know about the car seat. You will have to check with your travel agent or whichever shuttle service you use about that issue as we have no small children.

Hope this helps a bit.

Not to hijack the thread, but your trip to Whittier is not that long...it would be 2-1/2 hours if you were sailing from Seward. It is only 59 miles to Whittier, allow about 1-1/2 hour including the wait to go through the tunnel. Scenery is lovely and bus driver will give a good commentary. EM

Archived