Hope Princess doesn't follow NCL Epic...

3LittleBirds

Okay, I'm really wondering why the toilet area seems to have GLASS doors...do people like to be seen by their spouses/friends/children when going potty??? YIKES!

My thoughts exactly! And what about getting in and out of the shower :confused:

I guess my friend and I won't be sailing on the EPIC :eek:

I actually appreciate NCL's desire to try something innovative and different. With that said, this particular innovation is not appealing to me or my DH at all.

I do wish Princess would try something a little different in staterooms. It's bad enough the ships are relative carbon copies of each other (though granted I love some of the features that are getting added to many ships like the International Cafe) but the staterooms are really really similar. The colour scheme and decor seem to be from the late 1980s. It would be nice to see some more modern decor, linens etc. I like the decor in the NCL room, just not the layout and the frosted doors.

I actually appreciate NCL's desire to try something innovative and different. With that said, this particular innovation is not appealing to me or my DH at all.

I do wish Princess would try something a little different in staterooms. It's bad enough the ships are relative carbon copies of each other (though granted I love some of the features that are getting added to many ships like the International Cafe) but the staterooms are really really similar. The colour scheme and decor seem to be from the late 1980s. It would be nice to see some more modern decor, linens etc. I like the decor in the NCL room, just not the layout and the frosted doors.

Yeah, we loved the rooms on the NCL Jewel. Woodwork, trims, etc were nicer than Princess. I'm hoping on Princess' future ships, they will strike a balance somehow.

If you ever wanted a situation that could cause Norovirus to spread really fast, just put the sink far away from the toilet in everyone's stateroom. By the time you get to the sink, you've contaminated your stateroom so your room mate will get it for sure. Great idea.:eek:

Heck, by the time we get to the sink, we will have forgotten what we went there for. :p Ok, slight exaggeration! :rolleyes:

Photo below

Caribill, thanks for posting this photo of the toilet area. Still a little bit too see-through for me!

I watched the CC video tour earlier of the Epic. The inside cabin seemed very small, at least compared to what we had on the Sapphire last year. The studio looks teeny tiny...but I guess wouldn't be so bad with just 1 person.

Had to laugh, though...the studio bathroom has a solid door! (ETA: Oops, I see somebody else mentioned that as well.)

IMO - NCL has led many of the changes that we are seeing in other cruise lines the past few years. Think about flexible dining (by whatever name), more speciality restaurants that you pay for, people dressing up less on cruises, etc...

There are a half dozen questions in here that have been answered ad nauseum in other threads. There are also multiple threads on the bathrooms, the rooms, etc. I suggest a bit of searching for posts and pictures that answer the questions.

Not trying to be a jerk, but there's tons of information in these forums. You just have to look a little.

The rooms are shaped like this in order to fit more of them on the ship. The bathroom is like this because you can't fit a "normal" bathroom in the narrow room. Some love it, some hate it. Personally, my family of 4 will love this. We can shower, brush teeth, poop and change without getting in each other's way.

As for privacy, read the other threads. Some are funny, some are surprising, and most are unbelievable. I personally think that anyone who will avoid a specific ship because of the bathroom layout needs more things to worry about in their life.

Most of the questions here have all been discussed in many threads on here already and in detail with pics...

Double check the other threads like:

*Epic shower

*Frosted door thread..gives you lots of ideas about handling your frosted door.

and the list goes on.

Lots of humor is also interjected there as well....so don't be offended when reading many of the pages..

So the OP starts a thread on the Princess board (from what I gather), it gets moved to the NCL board where the NCL fans are acting like we Princess fans should know about all things Epic. Sorry, but I don't open every thread about Epic (since I don't usually go on the NCL board, and don't intend to go on a NCL cruise as I loved traditional dining). So why should it matter that we are talking about it here on the Princess board, just because you folks over on NCL have already discussed it. Oh, wait, maybe because many of us here aren't raving about a ship that looks so boxy on the outside and has a weird (for us) cabin configuration. I know everyone in my family wants complete privacy while doing our bathroom business. And would want a sink right there for washing our hands. It's not sanitary otherwise.

IMO - NCL has led many of the changes that we are seeing in other cruise lines the past few years. Think about flexible dining (by whatever name), more speciality restaurants that you pay for, people dressing up less on cruises, etc...

Not any changes that I'm thrilled about.

I believe that they were attempting to be "innovative"... but they were certainly not innovative in designing the exterior of that ship... ugliest thing afloat IMHO :p

Totally agree, It is quite an eye sore.....

Bob

Not any changes that I'm thrilled about.

Entirely possible but I really think that NCL will continue to innovate and change the industry.

On the other hand, NCL has already said "this is one of a kind ship with no sisters" - so maybe they realized their mistake.

I agree. But the other cruise lines still maintained a certain style of elegance. The décor of NCL ships always reminded me of a preschool classroom with the bright primary colors. Now with the exception of the room configuration the interior looks beautiful. It seems they took some decorating ideas from Celebrity. What’s ironic is that the interior has sexy curves while the exterior has about as much sex appeal as a bread box. I wouldn’t mind if Princess copied the Ice Bar. My neighbors are sailing on the Epic next year in the Mediterranean. It’s all expenses paid through work because she won a sales contest. I know that she would never look at deck plans or the room plan. I can’t wait to her what she has to say about the bathroom.

I agree. But the other cruise lines still maintained a certain style of elegance. The décor of NCL ships always reminded me of a preschool classroom with the bright primary colors. Now with the exception of the room configuration the interior looks beautiful. It seems they took some decorating ideas from Celebrity. What’s ironic is that the interior has sexy curves while the exterior has about as much sex appeal as a bread box. I wouldn’t mind if Princess copied the Ice Bar. My neighbors are sailing on the Epic next year in the Mediterranean. It’s all expenses paid through work because she won a sales contest. I know that she would never look at deck plans or the room plan. I can’t wait to her what she has to say about the bathroom.

I would love for Princess to change their cabin design and give each ship more on an individual flavor.

My one and only Carnival cruise has florescent colors everywhere - OH MY!

I do like the concept of the ice bar. I saw this in Vegas 10-15 years ago.

I am just amazed at how many cruise lines have made changes due to what NCL did years ago. I have yet to go on an NCL ship but given the right itinerary, I would sail them. I have friend who like NCL.

So the OP starts a thread on the Princess board (from what I gather)' date=' it gets moved to the NCL board where the NCL fans are acting like we Princess fans should know about all things Epic. Sorry, but I don't open every thread about Epic (since I don't usually go on the NCL board, and don't intend to go on a NCL cruise as I loved traditional dining). So why should it matter that we are talking about it here on the Princess board, just because you folks over on NCL have already discussed it. Oh, wait, maybe because many of us here aren't raving about a ship that looks so boxy on the outside and has a weird (for us) cabin configuration. I know everyone in my family wants complete privacy while doing our bathroom business. And would want a sink right there for washing our hands. It's not sanitary otherwise.[/quote']

Those who posted the sarcastic comments didn't realize that the thread was moved from the Princess board. They thought they were just being nasty to their own fans similar to what happens here at times. The OP requested that it be moved back to Princess and a few posts were deleted.

I would love for Princess to change their cabin design and give each ship more on an individual flavor.

My one and only Carnival cruise has florescent colors everywhere - OH MY!

I do like the concept of the ice bar. I saw this in Vegas 10-15 years ago.

I am just amazed at how many cruise lines have made changes due to what NCL did years ago. I have yet to go on an NCL ship but given the right itinerary, I would sail them. I have friend who like NCL.

How the Heck can you delete your own post? Or... did CC adminster delete them?

Entirely possible but I really think that NCL will continue to innovate and change the industry.

On the other hand, NCL has already said "this is one of a kind ship with no sisters" - so maybe they realized their mistake.

Wow - I didn't know they made a statement like that. Interesting. I'm way behind the curve here, as I only recently learned about these features. But obviously there is a lot of unrest about it all. As you said, it does make you wonder if they now consider some of these things a mistake. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out, especially in the rest of the lines.

Wow - I didn't know they made a statement like that. Interesting. I'm way behind the curve here, as I only recently learned about these features. But obviously there is a lot of unrest about it all. As you said, it does make you wonder if they now consider some of these things a mistake. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out, especially in the rest of the lines.

Here is the link: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3953

Don't quote me on this but I thought I read somewhere else that who ever approved this ship/design is no longer with NCL.

I guess someone realized that the solo persons might be "dating" a bit??? Pehaps there was some thought applied to this whole door discussion???

What is sad is that I read these cabins were not initially "solo cabins". They later realized that it was impossible to sell these as double cabins and later created the new category.

What is sad is that I read these cabins were not initially "solo cabins". They later realized that it was impossible to sell these as double cabins and later created the new category.

How would the designers/engineers not know that they would be a solo cabin from the beginning?

How would the designers/engineers not know that they would be a solo cabin from the beginning?

This is not the article I read (months, if not years ago) but it confirms what I read:

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2010/06/live-blogging-from-norwegian-cruise-lines-norwegian-epic-day-5/97645/1

Interestingly, Norwegian originally planned to market the cabins for two people, aiming at travelers on a super-tight budget who didn't mind jamming into a tiny room to save money. But the line quickly changed its mind after initial feedback, and it appears they made the right move.

Oh my!

I could stand a 100 sf total as a single traveler (I might even find it cozy!:)), but to put 2 people in there?!?!? Can you say "sardines"?:eek:

It would remind you of those old college dorms :)

For me Epic = Fiat Multipla of the seas.

I would not buy an ugly car and I will not cruise in an ugly ship such as this one or Oasis but some like ugly cars and I am sure some will like this and other ugly ships - each to their own.

However I do question the suspect and unhygenic designs of these cabins, will be interesting to see if this turns out to be a 'sick' ship.

Archived