Hope Princess doesn't follow NCL Epic...

3LittleBirds

Copied from the Net.....

How do people become infected with noroviruses?

Noroviruses are found in the stool and vomit of infected people. People can become infected with the virus in several ways:

by eating food or drinking liquids that are contaminated with norovirus,

by touching surfaces or objects contaminated with norovirus, and then placing their hand in their mouth, and

by having direct contact with another person who is infected (for example, when caring for someone with illness, or sharing foods or eating utensils with someone who is ill).

Persons working in day-care centers or nursing homes should pay special attention to children or residents who have norovirus illness. This virus is very contagious and can spread rapidly throughout such environments.

Exactly my point. I am a physician so I'm well aware of how norovirus is transmitted. This bathroom layout is not ideal from an infection control point of view.

Heck, by the time we get to the sink, we will have forgotten what we went there for. :p Ok, slight exaggeration! :rolleyes:

Exactly my point in a previous reply that was deleted by Board Op....

Let's say it, "unsanitary"...then everybody goes and pushes the

elevator buttons and uses handrails..

I'll skip the EPIC.

If you read history of EPIC, they cancelled the sistership and

very nearly never finished the EPIC.

Good luck NCL.

:cool::cool:

Ok.... Time for Princess fans and Norwegian fans to all calm down, hold hands (after washing and sanitizing). Kiss and make up!!! We are all so lucky to be able to go on nice vacations and have such choices. :cool: A few thoughts that apply to both NCL and Princess ships Don't forget the latex gloves when using the elevators. Get up early and be the first one in the buffet lines befor any other passenger picks up the serving tools and shares germs :eek: Now... off to the pool - OMG, there is a toddler in the pool - get out quick and add clorine because they might have wee wee in the pool. Pack the Lysol spray... clean your cabin, sit back and don't touch anything - but have a GREAT VACATION :)

I don't think Princess will be building anything this size anytime soon. Princess just doesn't appeal to families the same way as Royal Caribbean (or Carnival) does. Princess has never been a champion of family entertainment and the "get out there" crowd. We all had a great time on our family vacation on the Crown. But our kids told us that, while they loved their cruise, Princess is not as kid friendly as RCI or Carnival. Next family cruise they will be 14 and 12 and we are all excited about our booking on the Allure (the future twin of Oasis). There's something for everyone with entertainment choices I have not seen before. For those who say ugly, great for you. The Oasis/Allure aren't for everyone but are for many of us.

and was actually quite impressed with some of the innovations. I especially liked the coffee maker in the cabin which is necessary on a Princess ship. Also the real sushi bar and some other special restaurants. NCL is not a favorite but the ship seems quite interesting and probably worth a 7 day cruise. Their web site however is a bear to find any info on pricing and I don't like their wine policy and the hunt for liquor in checked bags.

I think they should read all of the posts. After 97 the poster goes on to say that most of these "faults" could be found on all new ships ... and most can be easily correctible. He also states in some of those posts (not the ones you wanted us to read) that the entertainment is great, the crew is great (most of them will have single cabins...they won't have to share) and he enjoyed the food.:)

I think they should read all of the posts. After 97 the poster goes on to say that most of these "faults" could be found on all new ships ... and most can be easily correctible. He also states in some of those posts (not the ones you wanted us to read) that the entertainment is great, the crew is great (most of them will have single cabins...they won't have to share) and he enjoyed the food.:)

I agree, to get a full picture, all of the posts should be read. I was just pointing out some of the newer posts that summarized his experience.

Yes, he said the entertainment was great, but he also said:

a) The venues were relatively limited in capacity

b) The doors opened 20 minutes before showtime, but the people lined up starting an hour before showtime, even those who had made reservations for that show, in order to get the seats they prefer

c) That a line for one show which did not require a reservation contained many more people than could fit inside the venue, but no staff alerted these people that their wait would be a total waste of time

The only good thing I can say is that you can have two people using the facilities. One in the shower one in the toilet area. It makes for easier getting ready for dinner :)

Teri

Just my humble opinion, but I truly hope that Princess doesn't build their new ships with staterooms like the NCL Epic. A friend is booked on the Epic later this year and just told me about the "Wave" staterooms. The shower and toilet are separate on opposite sides of the door, and open to the rest of the room. The sink is in a 3rd location at the end of the bed. Who came up with a design like that??? :confused:

I agree, it sounds like the regular inside and balcony cabins are arranged a bit awkwardly. However, there is one thing I do hope they follow the Epic's lead on, and that is the inclusion of the Studio cabins for solo travelers. They really look awesome, and while you do pay a couple hundred more than a regular dble occ inside cabin fare, you're at least not paying the dreaded singles supplement!!

I'm actually planning to get on one of their sailings this fall for just that reason. I'd really love to see Princess embrace solo travelers as a separate market segment the way the new Epic has. :)

I guess someone realized that the solo persons might be "dating" a bit??? Pehaps there was some thought applied to this whole door discussion???

Actually, it's my understanding that the Studio cabins were designed by someone different than who designed the other cabins. From the pictures I've seen, I think they look great! Would love to see Princess go this route for solo travelers as well. :)

I couldn't agree more :D. I really hope that ALL the new ships don't go in this type of direction. It seems a lot of the new ships are a floating circus. Will we have to cling to the older ships to get the cruise experience we have always enjoyed?

The ships and lines that are geared toward family might. Princess is not on the top of that list yet. More and more cruisers no longer cruise for the destination. So with the ship being the reason they book, the gimmicks become more and more. Gone are the days when getting THERE was half the fun. The ship is still a means of transportation for me so I am going to whine like a baby if they miss port:D I like the grandeur of most ships so I see the difference not the ugly. I have never seen a ship I would never sail on but there are prices I can't afford to pay. In time I hope to try them all!

Maybe they did so you would know it was in use. It definitely is "different" from anything else out there.

Personally I like the smaller cruise ships that still look like ships instead of floating condos turned sideways on top a big barge.

You also have to wonder how these new big box ships will handle rough weather.

Anyway we haven't taken any NCL cruises yet and this ship definitely doesn't make we want to take it.

Have a great next cruise on a ship not a floating building.

I loved when a cruise ship LOOKED LIKE A CRUISE SHIP! I think the "big barge" look is so ugly and actually scary looking.

You haven't missed anything, not cruising on NCL.

I had my first (and last) cruise on the modified grand class ships (The Emerald) in February and there were 500 too many other passengers onboard to suit my tastes.

I will restrict my future cruising to grand class (2600pax) and smaller.

Mike:)

I agree. The trend is not only towards bigger, but to have a 24 hour "three ring circus" going on. In my opinion, keep that stuff on land.

Very interesting you used this phrase... It's exactly the way I describe the new trends on new ships lately. I couldn't agree more. The reasons why I travel Princess are the same reasons I *don't* travel to places like Disney and other theme parks.

Princess's staterooms have stayed almost the same for the last dozen ships or so. The chances of them doing something radical would surprise me.

I actually wish Princess would do some different things. I get tired of everything looking identical. There used to be some differences between the ships but lately, there really isn't.

I had my first (and last) cruise on the modified grand class ships (The Emerald) in February and there were 500 too many other passengers onboard to suit my tastes.

Me too! Way too crowded with no places to absorb the 500 plus additional passengers.

They need to work on keeping the space ratio high for future ships.

Very interesting you used this phrase... It's exactly the way I describe the new trends on new ships lately. I couldn't agree more. The reasons why I travel Princess are the same reasons I *don't* travel to places like Disney and other theme parks.

It seems that a corporate name such as Carnival can be taken too literally

I'm not sure I follow this...in terms of the Emerald.

We cruised on her back in June...and (honestly) we found there to be more than adequate space. In fact...there were many time where the wife and I wondered where everyone was. The only slowdowns/large crowds were the morning (and to some extent) lunchtime buffets.

Otherwise...those ships are more than adequate size for that number of people. To be honest...we found the nightlife to be lacking on some evenings...even having to search out activities beyond Club Fusion. Skywalkers is a nice but underutilized space on those ships. And we aren't exactly party animals.

In terms of crowded spaces...we found the Emerald to be much less crowded than the RCCL and Carnival ships we've sailed on. It was never an issue finding a chair (or multiple chairs) on the pool deck.

Princess's staterooms have stayed almost the same for the last dozen ships or so. The chances of them doing something radical would surprise me.

I actually wish Princess would do some different things. I get tired of everything looking identical. There used to be some differences between the ships but lately, there really isn't.

Yes, Princess is is desperate need of stateroom redecorating...new colors would be great to bring it into this century.

Seems that the increase in size is a revenue thing (unfortunately), but PLEASE keep the over stimulation and sensory overload to an absolute minimum. Princess, please don't go there....ever.

Archived