Special "theme" for dinner? Is there such a thing?

How does one find out (or maybe, when do you find out) if there is a special "theme" for dinner.

Some friends I know, went on a cruise and at dinner one night, it was "white night" and so many people came dressed in white. Men and women.

They had no clue about it and when they got back home, reread all their cruise info, etc... and never saw anything about it. They were wondering how those people found out about the theme.

They wish they knew about it so they could have packed accordingly.

Anyone have prepacking knowledge about theme nights?

Thanks

Some lines have "theme" nights...but rarely do folks "dress" for them. On most lines, the "theme" designates that night's menu...

If you're not dressed for the "theme", you will be in the great majority!

Some lines have "theme" nights...but rarely do folks "dress" for them. On most lines, the "theme" designates that night's menu...

If you're not dressed for the "theme", you will be in the great majority!

Most definitely, because I know we don't dress for themes. But am still curious how they knew before hand.

Most definitely, because I know we don't dress for themes. But am still curious how they knew before hand.

I could be wrong but it sounds like NCL's White Hot Party Night which is not really a dress in white for dinner. It's a party later in the evening when people dress in white and that info is on their web site. It's just a suggestion anyway.

I think if a line would have a night when they suggest you dress in a theme, it would be in your cruise information. None of the cruises that we've been on have ever had a night when you were supposed to dress in a certain theme.

My Royal Caribbean Mediterranean cruise last year had a white night. It was either casual or business casual (whatever the cruise line calls it), and many people participated. I think, in general, people tend to bring white clothing to hot climates. I do believe that this was a toga night, and everyone met by the pool to party after dinner, wearing their sheets.

We also had a 70's night and I can't recall what else. For those types of theme nights, the only ones participating were the crew (although, I did try to wear something in spirit - like a colorful dress or something).

I did go around Halloween one year, and some people did bring costumes.

Edited to add that we didn't know about it before hand. We found out in the daily newsletter. Like I said, I think a lot of people just tend to have something white with them. Obviously, not everyone. I often read some of the cruise blogs, and understand that Holland often has theme nights in the dining room, but, as somebody else mentioned, that's more for the crew and menu.

A friend of mine just came off of the Serenade of the Seas and she said that they had a white night as well, but she didn't know in advance. The group that I am traveling with are planning a special theme might, and I don't mind participating. Seems like fun.

I was in Paris last year on the night that they did their famous all white picnic, it was beautiful, so festive to see so many people walking around celebrating in white.

On the Emerald Princess cruise we took in January, there was an "Island night" theme for dinner and the party after. It was listed in the Patter and a good number dressed appropriately (since most people bring islandy type clothes to the Caribbean)!

Most of these theme parties tend to be cruiseline specific, so you might learn a great deal by reading the forum for your cruise line and by joining a Roll Call if one exists - you can gain knowledge from past cruisers:D

(doesn't Cunard have a black/white ball? Or is that only on holiday cruises?)

Cunard does have theme nights. One of them is the black and white ball and almost most will dress for this. BTW, it is really fun to see what the ladies have come up with.

The theme nights are in the pre cruise documents so one knows well in advance what the theme nights are should you want to dress for them. This is the only cruise line I have been on that in advance gives you this information.

Archived