Disappointing balcony view on Radiance of the Seas

I had one of these extended balconies. I did not mind the open area at the end. In fact, it was great to allow extra airflow! Those balconies can get HOT in the Caribbean.

This is nice to hear.

Was your bed by the window or on the bathroom side of the room?

Gina

TD - there is a thread on cabins to avoid. You might want to try finding it and posting your cabin there. But I am glad to hear that inspite of a little set back you were able to enjoy your cruise.

And welcome to Cruise Critic.

Give this new poster a break. I am sure there was a time when you did not know everything.

In fact most people don't even know about this site before they cruise. Not to mention that everything on here isn't exactly true. :rolleyes:

It would never cross my mind as a new cruiser to check to see if there are lifeboat covers in front of my balcony.

Had I found out prior to my first cruise that the top deck completely forward was the worst place to be on the ship, I might not have had a great cabin with no foot traffic going by. And those were the roughest seas of any cruise I've been on. It was fun to rock and roll in the bed. I was actually disappointed on my next few cruises that the ship was so still.

Sometimes it's just easier to live and learn. :)

I joined cruise critic just before my first cruise. I didn't know what to think...information overload. The reviews were my primary focus. After reading them I assumed the Navigator of the Seas must be the worst ship out there. Needless to say, I don't bother reading bad reviews anymore. Some people will complain about nothing.

Gina

I'm sorry that you had this experience. It is one of the reason that the "hump" cabins on Radiance class ships are so popular (the midship balconies that bump out like a half circle).

Thanks to CC we booked 7600 for our Ultimate Alaska cruise and we had great views- all the way forward and all the way back as well as straight down since the lifeboats are only on the straight sides of the ship.

I suggest that next time you try for one of these or an aft cabin (no obstructions on Radiance class though there is on Voyager class) for a better view.

Cheers,

Don’t get me wrong, the June 4th 2010 cruise to Alaska was wonderful despite my disappointment with the view. Great service, good food and a great ship but the view out of our cabin was disappointing.

Our cabin along with the surrounding cabins (left, right and above) are above the lifeboats, a canopy covers the lifeboats, so what you see when on your balcony is non accessible 15 foot (approx) canopy beyond your railing. No view below the cabin and no view of the water. Side note: while leaving Juno there was a whale swimming alongside the ship, we couldn’t see it, until it swam away from the ship and far enough to clear the canopy. We didn’t bother to investigate the balcony prior to booking the cruise, we’d had a balcony on Freedom and that one was fabulous. Made the assumption that the balcony on the Radiance would be equal, we were wrong. I think like most cruisers we started out on our first cruse in an inside cabin. Next cruise moved to an outside and then finally made the move to a balcony on the Freedom of the Seas. It made a big difference on Freedom and was well worth the extra money but I don’t think it’s worth the extra on Radiance and maybe its sister ships. You might want to check it out before you book.

Attached are two views.

what floor where you on, we are going on independence and 6th floor, bit worried now !!

Our first experience with the life boat canopy was on the Brilliance.

At first we were very disappointed, but honestly after a day or so it didn't really bother us.

However with that being said.....now we know what category not to book.

Again with this being said....if the cruise we wanted to go on and that was what our budget could afford at the time, yes we would book that. :)

Edited by Arizona Cruz Chic

We had one of the coveted extended balconies for our upcoming May 15th cruise to Alaska, 7092, but have already made the switch to another cabin because of all the talk on these boards about that dang cover. Thanks to CC we'll be in a better position for viewing. Size of balcony not such a big deal on Radiance.:cool:

Edited by BecciBoo

We had one of the coveted extended balconies for our upcoming May 15th cruise to Alaska, 7092, but have already made the switch to another cabin because of all the talk on these boards about that dang cover. Thanks to CC we'll be in a better position for viewing. Size of balcony not such a big deal on Radiance.:cool:

But you had one of those edge of the hump cabins near the elevators with the deeper balconies - not the standard extended balconies that are forward. Those hump cabins aren't affected by the lifeboat canopies, are they?

Gina

I must be one of the few CC folks who does think this is an issue. I had a balcony in this area and never considered it an issue. To be honest – the covers brought so much needed warm sun reflection to the balcony. I’ve had a forward balcony on 7 with the half railing that some complain about the lack of privacy and did not consider it an issue either. I generally try to book aft and have had 2 center afts and have 9256 this Fall.

So let me understand, I know that the lifeboat covers jut out at deck 7, but since they go out -10-15 feet – doesn’t it somewhat impede a full water view from the cabins above also?

M

I am reposting this as I found an important error in my post. I am a CC who does NOT think this is a huge issue.

Sorry.

Marci

But you had one of those edge of the hump cabins near the elevators with the deeper balconies - not the standard extended balconies that are forward. Those hump cabins aren't affected by the lifeboat canopies, are they?

Gina

Here's a side view of the Radiance that shows the lifeboat covers. We've stayed in 7092. I loved the location and the shape of the balcony but the liftboat covers do impede your view when looking to the right .

RadianceClassHumpBalcony-1.jpg

Here's another picture looking forward.

Jeweldeck7balconylookinglifeboartco.jpg

Size and shape of the balcony

Radiance8086.jpg

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise

On deck 7 it does and we read some stuff about the window washing crew that tries hard to catch people in the buff, they walk right past your balcony, one lady said she could've reached out and touched the guy. We'll be just as happy where we are now.

Edited by BecciBoo

I am reposting this as I found an important error in my post. I am a CC who does NOT think this is a huge issue.

Sorry.

Marci

I didn't even notice your mistake until you pointed it out. I thought you said doesn't while reading too quickly. Your meaning was clear anyway. :)

Gina

We booked another Royal Caribbean cruise for September on the Explorer of the Sea, cabin 9592. I don't know how to link to it but I've posted a request for info on this forum under "Explorer balcony obstructions". Additionally Royal Caribbean said when they get a chance, they'll take a digital photo from the balcony on Explorer and send it to me. Hopefully I'll get something. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1225255

Here's a side view of the Mariner.....sister to the Explorer. This class of ship does not have the lifeboat covers like the Radiance.

MarinerHump.jpg

Exactly why I took this picture. I would hate to be in that section of the ship no matter which deck. Were were in 8088 when I took it and booked the hump again, leaving again on her in 3 days, woohoo!

BonVoyage

Dawna

Loved that cabin!! We were in 8088 in March on Radiance and thought the balcony was wonderful--2 lounge chairs, 3 regular chairs and a table. Our friends were in an Owner's Suite, and our balcony was bigger than theirs'....;):D

Here's another picture looking forward from cabin 7092.

RadianceForwardViewfrom7092-1.jpg

Thanks. That will be my side - way up there. :) I can see why you wouldn't want to have the big balcony right next to the lifeboat covers like that. But if you dropped something over, it wouldn't go far. ;)

Gina

We have 7588. Should I be concerned about it?

If you don't mind looking out at the lifeboat cover then no. If that bothers you then yes. What date are you sailing? Is it on Radiance? You signature says 7/11/11 and Radiance is sailing 7/8/11 or 7/15/11. If it's either of those dates and you can afford a little more per person I'd suggest looking at cat E1. The center hump cabins are open for those dates. No obstructions and great views both forward and aft.