Really bummed out ... think I have to drop the cruise idea

rachelfran

We thought we'd found a good cruise for the family but based on info on the first timers board I think I'm going to have to look for a land option.

Based on scheduling we were limited to a July departure out of the NYC area and some didn't want to sale south since it'll be so hot so I found one cruise to Canada from Princess that looked great ...

Now I've come to find out that the 2 1/2 and 4 yr old will pay full fare but the little one can't swim (in JULY!) unless she's potty trained.

I'm also told that the 18 yr old can't hang out with her 14, 16 & 17 yr old cousins in the teen facilities so she'd be out on her own.

I'm really bummed out.

Rachel

We thought we'd found a good cruise for the family but based on info on the first timers board I think I'm going to have to look for a land option.

Based on scheduling we were limited to a July departure out of the NYC area and some didn't want to sale south since it'll be so hot so I found one cruise to Canada from Princess that looked great ...

Now I've come to find out that the 2 1/2 and 4 yr old will pay full fare but the little one can't swim (in JULY!) unless she's potty trained.

I'm also told that the 18 yr old can't hang out with her 14, 16 & 17 yr old cousins in the teen facilities so she'd be out on her own.

I'm really bummed out.

Rachel

I can tell you that we just came back from a Canada cruise and there was not a whole lot of swimming - it is just too cool. Of course, we were on Carnival, and it appears that they only heat one pool and at certain times.

I don't know if you would want to consider Carnival, but we had a great time. I wouldn't worry so much about the 18 yo being able to hang out with the others. It doesn't seem to me that they spend much time in Club O2 to begin with. Also, I have read that if the 18yo is still in high school, they can be allowed in.

Personally, I think a cruise is a great family vacation - you get a lot of bang for your buck. The little ones will have fun no matter what you chose.

They do not let the 18 year olds into the teen area. You might get lucky and get someone who doesn't mind but that is very unlikely. My son was unable to get in and he was still in high school. It really was a bummer for him because even if the place is empty, he would have enjoyed the video games and the computers in the teen area.

If the little ones share a cabin with you they should not pay full fair. Typically 3rd and 4th passengers get a reduced rate although the amount of the reduction is different for each cruiseline.

Some folks have brought small blow up pools for their toddlers. Probably more sanitary as well for the child. Hotels these days won't allow children who are not potty trained to swim in the pools either. There have been too many outbreaks from contaminated water and some children have died. Remember, ship pools are not chlorinated!!

I'm really bummed out.

Rachel

You've come to the right board here, where you'll find many ideas about how to entertain your 2-1/2 year old relative without jeopardizing her..and everyone else's health..if she should poop in the water (they're not so much concerned about pee..but poop is very contaminated!). Folks bring all sorts of mini-pools, not very expensive, and you should find some good ideas here.

The New England cruises are quite port intensive..it may be that none of the kids would find the teen club all that interesting anyway, and would rather spend time elsewhere on the ship, when you're all not in port. It's likely the 18 year old will find other older teens, too, especially in July, so that's not really an issue.

Do re-check the fares question. Yes, children are people too..and so charged full fares on some lines, but 3rd and 4th people in a cabin do get discounts on some lines, and that may work for you, too.

Don't give up QUITE yet..Lots of families cruise, so it must be workable!

You've come to the right board here, where you'll find many ideas about how to entertain your 2-1/2 year old relative without jeopardizing her..and everyone else's health..if she should poop in the water (they're not so much concerned about pee..but poop is very contaminated!). Folks bring all sorts of mini-pools, not very expensive, and you should find some good ideas here.

The New England cruises are quite port intensive..it may be that none of the kids would find the teen club all that interesting anyway, and would rather spend time elsewhere on the ship, when you're all not in port. It's likely the 18 year old will find other older teens, too, especially in July, so that's not really an issue.

Do re-check the fares question. Yes, children are people too..and so charged full fares on some lines, but 3rd and 4th people in a cabin do get discounts on some lines, and that may work for you, too.

Don't give up QUITE yet..Lots of families cruise, so it must be workable!

thanks for the info ...

I thought I had posted on the family cruise board... is there another one?

No, this is the only family cruise board. I note you are also posting on first time cruisers board. I hope you can work this out; I note you were posting about taking a family cruise to Canada five years ago! Too bad this didn't work out; you wouldn't have the younger children problem.

My advice to you would be to turn the bookings over to a travel agent and not be involved with it if you are able to choose a cruise. You already have enough headaches just choosing a cruise.

thanks for the info ...

I thought I had posted on the family cruise board... is there another one?

You DID post on the family cruising board..note the message you copied.

I did a very early version..in which I mentioned "go to the family cruising board"..and which I edited, when I realized *I* was already on the family cruising board. You must have seen that. Sorry.

You DID post on the family cruising board..note the message you copied.

I did a very early version..in which I mentioned "go to the family cruising board"..and which I edited, when I realized *I* was already on the family cruising board. You must have seen that. Sorry.

no worries.

i realized that you edited your post but there was no way for me to delete mine so i'm lookin' a little silly.

Rachel

We have never been on a Princess cruise that did not discount the 3rd & 4th person. Sometimes the discount is more than other times.

Your 4 teens will probably prefer to hang together than in the teen room anyway. I would not worry too much about that. In general, teens use the room just to meet others and then go off together.

I also agree that swimming is probably not on the agenda for young ones on a port intensive Canada cruise.

You really need to decide what the family wants out of a vacation and then see what really suits. Maybe renting a vacation place on the shore or a lake is a better fit. We love cruising but it wouldn't be the choice of other family members.

We have never been on a Princess cruise that did not discount the 3rd & 4th person. Sometimes the discount is more than other times.

Your 4 teens will probably prefer to hang together than in the teen room anyway. I would not worry too much about that. In general, teens use the room just to meet others and then go off together.

I also agree that swimming is probably not on the agenda for young ones on a port intensive Canada cruise.

You really need to decide what the family wants out of a vacation and then see what really suits. Maybe renting a vacation place on the shore or a lake is a better fit. We love cruising but it wouldn't be the choice of other family members.

I know my daughter would love access to the video games and karaoke so it would be sad if she couldn't make use of it ... We had thought a cruise would be a fun vacation for us all and maybe another cruise, another time would work better for us when the youngest ones are older and can get more out of it ... We will likely end up at an inclusive resort of some kind or another.

Most ships have karaoke in a "regular" location, not just the teen room. There is also a video arcade. DS14 never goes to the teen area, but he always finds plenty to do.

thanks for this info ...

i don't know why i haven't heard from the "agent" that my brother asked me to work with when I explained these issues ... if this is the case it may just change my mind ...

I guess I need to know the specifics of this ship -- the Caribbean Princess and whether they do offer something for the 18 yr old.

Thanks again.

The Caribbean Princess is a great ship (I sailed on her twice) but I can not recall what activities that had for the young adults. In my experience, Princess does not discount 3rd/4th person rates all that much on the CB's summer itineraries. We would end up getting a 2nd cabin for my son and mother as it would only be a little more money. Carnival probably has better 3rd/4th person rates for the Canada/NE cruises and more activities for your childrens' age groups.

Our favorite line is Royal Caribbean. We have 2 teens and they hang out together because of the age thing. They always make friends at the pool, Johnny Rockets and video arcade. The class of ship makes a difference. We are booked for FOS and it has a Rock Climbing Wall, Ice Skating Rink, miniature golf, basketball court, video arcade and the list goes on for activities. Cabin choice determines if 3rd and 4th are at a discount. If the cabin can accomodate 4 passengers, the 3rd and 4t passenger, regardless of age, is at a discounted price. Call RCCL and talk to them about ships, activities and departure ports.

Cruising with a non-potty trained 2.5 year old could be tough. We went nuts getting our daughter potty trained before our last cruise and got lucky that it worked out. At that age they are just old enough to know they want the water so it might result is some unhappy moments. My daughter was satisified with the blow up pool when she was younger but that wouldn't have cut it now.

Would it be possible to rethink the not going South thing? It would give you a lot more options and you might be able to consider a RCL or DCL cruise that would give you some splash zone options for the little one. If you switch to a resort type vacation would you be going South anyway? A cruise on a one of RCL's larger ships would provide many activities for the teens outside of the club. (I really don't know that much about what Princess would or wouldn't offer) Plus I think Caribbean cruises attract more young people than a New England/Canada sailing.

If cruising doesn't seem like the right choice for now don't push it. I like the convience of cruisinig for now because I am caring for someone who is very young and very old so the "contained" nature of it makes it easier on me. However, I actually have prefered many of the vacations I took on land when I didn't have those responsibilities.

As a counter:

We cruised when our kids weren't potty trained, couldn't really swim and they have never been in the same kids club. That was not as important as the experiences we could do togather, lay by the pool, go see a show, movie, hanging in our spacious cabins, 3 wonderful sit down meals and tea time with restless todlers to bored teens. Love the fact that there were many other alternatives if they got bored with us too :D

YMMV on what you are looking for of course.

Good luck!

I'm really bummed out.

Rachel

We cruised many times with our son before he was potty trained. I sometimes felt that he was missing out on the pool and could hardly wait until he was potty trained so he could swim. We've been on three cruises since he's been potty trained and he's only used the pool once for about 30 minutes. Go figure. He loves to swim, but there is just so much else to do on a cruise.

thanks for all the great replies .. looks like the family with the little one put the kabosh on this particular cruise - so we're looking now at the Carnival Glory - which is a shorter trip - so it's less expensive and it has a kids club for ages 2 and up... It's not exactly the experience I was looking for but am willing to do it to try out our first cruise as a family...

Rachel

My son hung out in the arcade but it was very expensive. The teen things do not cost extra money and you can't imagine how much a teenage kid can spend at an arcade! Within a few hours, he had spent all his money for the day and hung out with us the rest of the time, which was fine but not so much fun for him. Of course the draw for him was the food and he was able to find plenty of that. He would go back again just to eat the food!

There will be absolutely plenty for everyone of any age to do on a cruise ship.

I don't understand why they don't want a cruise "South." I've been on a Caribbean cruise in August (which isn't much different than July) and it was nowhere near as hot as I thought it was going to be.

I think your group will be happy with that. Having the kids club available for the little one will make a big difference on what the adults are able to participate. When my son was two, we only cruised Carnival because Camp Carnival. You'll still be cruising.

I think when folks start out with a negative attitude and very low expectations, they'll only prove themselves "right". And indeed, cruising is not for everyone. Sounds to me like the OP better try something less "unknown" for the family.

I'm really bummed out.

Rachel

How about the Explorer out of Cape Liberty to Bermuda. Great ship, tons of activities for all of your different age groups...might be a good fit, no?

Archived