All Americans are not Equal!

boxztrs

The posts are wonky...how did my FU (Follow Up) post come before the post that had the question.???

Nothing is going right. I think the planets are all mis aligned and we are forced to suffer and deal. Its wrong!

May have to do with the time on your computer vs the time stamp on your post.

Let's say the time stamp on your post is 7:02 (but it's really 7:00)

Now you post a 3rd response.

Someone comes along and replies at 7:01 and the real time is 7:01.

The 7:01 post will appear before the 7:02 post even though it's the 4th response to a thread.

This is just theory mind you but it might work.

Just booked a Celebrity cruise that leaves July 11. I live in California, and typically book at the last minute due to my personal schedule. If I were a Florida resident, my fare would have been $300 per person (or 14%) lower.

Therefore we are not all equal as Americans. I know some of you will argue marketing, but the reality is I am willing to fly myself to Florida for their cruise at the last minute. And will probably do it again. How am I not a target market?

Discrimination is what is tearing our country apart..............

California... so close to Arizona...

OK - as a Floridian, let me explain it to you... Californians are just plain better than Us. Shoot - you've got a really cool Governor who almost has an American accent and definately a greater net worth than the Federal government. You're state is even taller N-S than ours. Sure we have a long coast line, but so do you - AND - your mountains are 100 times higher than ours. Girls? We weren't even included in that Beach Boys song! Hollywood... Big Sur. Yosemite. C'mon. Your right, things aren't equal.

The higher cruise fare is meant to even things out!

Feel better now?:D

May have to do with the time on your computer vs the time stamp on your post.

Let's say the time stamp on your post is 7:02 (but it's really 7:00)

Now you post a 3rd response.

Someone comes along and replies at 7:01 and the real time is 7:01.

The 7:01 post will appear before the 7:02 post even though it's the 4th response to a thread.

This is just theory mind you but it might work.

The forum has its own clock. Scroll all the way down to the bottom of this page. Right now, as I type this, it says "All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:51 PM." These figures will vary by your particular time zone. I'm currently in Central Time, and it's 8:51 PM, so I don't think it takes Daylight Savings Time into account. By the time I post this, after rechecking the post for possible factors, it'll be about 9:01.

I've seen this phenomenon before. Not sure why it happens.

edit: when I posted it, it showed as 7:59 on my page.

My grandfather was born in North Dakota, yet I am required to

show a passport when visiting the U.S. The discrimination! The

emotional anguish!! Where is my 7 figure compensation and an

enormous apology????????????????????? :D

Count me in as a Californian who thinks the regional fare difference is unfair, though not discriminatory.

For our cruise there's a $400pp discount in our category for 13 states. It's been in effect for a couple of weeks. What's fair about our having:( to pay $800 more just because we don't live in one of those states? BTW, the states are not all in one geographical area--our neighbors in NV, WA, ID are among the chosen. :(

Just booked a Celebrity cruise that leaves July 11. I live in California, and typically book at the last minute due to my personal schedule. If I were a Florida resident, my fare would have been $300 per person (or 14%) lower.

Therefore we are not all equal as Americans. I know some of you will argue marketing, but the reality is I am willing to fly myself to Florida for their cruise at the last minute. And will probably do it again. How am I not a target market?

Discrimination is what is tearing our country apart..............

It's only 'discrimination' until such time as you book a cruise offering a California resident discount and come back to the boards extolling the virtues of that resident discount and all the money it saved you!

OK - as a Floridian, let me explain it to you... Californians are just plain better than Us. Shoot - you've got a really cool Governor who almost has an American accent and definately a greater net worth than the Federal government. You're state is even taller N-S than ours. Sure we have a long coast line, but so do you - AND - your mountains are 100 times higher than ours. Girls? We weren't even included in that Beach Boys song! Hollywood... Big Sur. Yosemite. C'mon. Your right, things aren't equal.

That's funny:D

The posts are wonky...how did my FU (Follow Up) post come before the post that had the question.???

Nothing is going right. I think the planets are all mis aligned and we are forced to suffer and deal. Its wrong!

It's because you are from New Jersey. California posts come in first because they have to go thru the international dating line.

Know how you feel that someone got a better deal, but hey, I am sure there has and will be in the future times because of your location/timing will get a better deal than the 'next' guy. Just look for them! :)

Florida's tallest point is 345ft above sea level in Lakewood FL which is in NW Florida. It is a non descript locatin off Hwy 331 in Walton county.

Count me in as a Californian who thinks the regional fare difference is unfair, though not discriminatory.

For our cruise there's a $400pp discount in our category for 13 states. It's been in effect for a couple of weeks. What's fair about our having:( to pay $800 more just because we don't live in one of those states? BTW, the states are not all in one geographical area--our neighbors in NV, WA, ID are among the chosen. :(

Oh, do tell which cruise! I am FROM California but I LIVE in Idaho and that's what counts--and I love a bargain!

Okay...lawyer and professional wordsmith here...

Yes...it IS "discrimination"...Discrimination is the setting up of different categories to be treated differently...HOWEVER, it is not ILLEGAL discrimination...

Legally, one can discriminate on almost any basis one wants--except, by law in the United States, on the basis of race, religion, gender, handicaps, etc.

...and even some of that is blurred depending on the circumstances...

You can have "Ladies' Night" at a bar and sell only the women drinks at half price...

And you can legally discriminate in many different ways...

This is one of them...

The cruise line can set its prices based on any irrational or illogical criteria it wants...

Very few people actually pay the same price...

There may be Senior discounts, military discounts...Did you know that AIRLINE employees get a special discount? Travel agents may get a discount...

You may pay a different price than the next guy based on WHEN you booked...

There is never true equality in almost anything...especially not cruise fares...

Same with airfares and hotel rates...

Disneyland often advertises special entrance rates for only those folks living in the local zip codes...You show your drivers' license when you purchase the tickets and you get a lower rate...while the people flying in from other states or countries or even driving in from other parts of California pay the higher rate...Any logic to that?

The cruise line wants to charge $300 less to people who live in Florida? It may make absolutely no sense to most of us...The customers coming from another state take up the same cabin, eat the same food, probably spend the same money onboard...

Is there a reason they do this? Well...truth is, they don't have to have a reason...

If they are charging you a rate you are not willing to pay, don't go...just don't look at what someone else is paying and get mad...not worth it...

Yeah, it's discrimination by State...So is State taxes...We pay almost 10% sales tax and high state income taxes...Our neighbors in Oregon don't pay sales tax and our neighbors in Nevada don't pay income tax...

Okay...lawyer and professional wordsmith here...

Yes...it IS "discrimination"...Discrimination is the setting up of different categories to be treated differently...HOWEVER, it is not ILLEGAL discrimination...

Legally, one can discriminate on almost any basis one wants--except, by law in the United States, on the basis of race, religion, gender, handicaps, etc.

...and even some of that is blurred depending on the circumstances...

You can have "Ladies' Night" at a bar and sell only the women drinks at half price...

And you can legally discriminate in many different ways...

This is one of them...

The cruise line can set its prices based on any irrational or illogical criteria it wants...

Very few people actually pay the same price...

There may be Senior discounts, military discounts...Did you know that AIRLINE employees get a special discount? Travel agents may get a discount...

You may pay a different price than the next guy based on WHEN you booked...

There is never true equality in almost anything...especially not cruise fares...

Same with airfares and hotel rates...

Disneyland often advertises special entrance rates for only those folks living in the local zip codes...You show your drivers' license when you purchase the tickets and you get a lower rate...while the people flying in from other states or countries or even driving in from other parts of California pay the higher rate...Any logic to that?

The cruise line wants to charge $300 less to people who live in Florida? It may make absolutely no sense to most of us...The customers coming from another state take up the same cabin, eat the same food, probably spend the same money onboard...

Is there a reason they do this? Well...truth is, they don't have to have a reason...

If they are charging you a rate you are not willing to pay, don't go...just don't look at what someone else is paying and get mad...not worth it...

Yeah, it's discrimination by State...So is State taxes...We pay almost 10% sales tax and high state income taxes...Our neighbors in Oregon don't pay sales tax and our neighbors in Nevada don't pay income tax...

Well said.

I get a resident discount to shows in Branson. Unfortunately there's not really any I care anything about going to.

WHAT ???????????????????????

You have virtually unlimited access to Andy Williams and The Lennon Sisters and you don't take advantage of it.......Shame on you *LOL*

You forgot to mention that California Girls are so hot they'll melt your popsicle or so Katy Perry says *LOL*

Bruin Steve is right, and this is why it's Never a good idea to ever mention how much you pay for a cruise: someone next to you paid more and will feel cheated and then the guy next to him will have paid less, and You willl feel cheated!

Each of us who get a discount strongly believe we 'deserve' it, even it its the happenstance of where we live! When i walk up to a theater and see all the discounts, I get very confused of which one to use: military/ geezer/ student (yup take classes still), and of course I dserve each and every one of them because....I'm Me and you don't because you aren't!

Denny

Bruin Steve is right, and this is why it's Never a good idea to ever mention how much you pay for a cruise: someone next to you paid more and will feel cheated and then the guy next to him will have paid less, and You willl feel cheated!

I remember reading about this

Someone aboard a cruise ship went around to cruisers asking how much they paid for their cruise to see if they got the lowest price.

Well the Captain found out and ordered it to stop or he would declare a mutiny.

When ever I see a Resident Discount available for a cruise I am on I blast it to the world. I hope that everyone looks as I do and benefits from that common knowledge that many of us are willing to share to helping others who may benefit.

Its a shame those who feel they are being begrudged, discriminated against, left out, over looked and the like feel that way. Clearly they are internalizing something that is way off the mark and are allowing the green monster of jealousy run their lives.

It is simply a case of acute general anxiety disorder. Psychotherapy might be helpful.

Wiki:

Generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) is an anxiety disorder that is characterized by excessive, uncontrollable and often irrational worry about everyday things that is disproportionate to the actual source of worry. This excessive worry often interferes with daily functioning, as individuals suffering GAD typically anticipate disaster, and are overly concerned about everyday matters such as health issues, money, death, family problems, friend problems, relationship problems or work difficulties.[1] They often exhibit a variety of physical symptoms, including fatigue, fidgeting, headaches, nausea, numbness in hands and feet, muscle tension, muscle aches, difficulty swallowing, bouts of difficulty breathing, difficulty concentrating, trembling, twitching, irritability, sweating, restlessness, insomnia, hot flashes, and rashes. These symptoms must be consistent and on-going, persisting at least 6 months, for a formal diagnosis of GAD to be introduced. [1] Approximately 6.8 million American adults experience GAD.

Boy, it must also be contageous - caused by reading and typing on 'certain forums'! I feel a little nausea, headache, numbness (Between the ears), sweaty and I can't sleep.....I need to go Cruising!!

Denny

Archived