Live/Silver Cloud: Norway Coast/Fjords July 1-16 Reports

TLCOhio

Hi Terry. Good to hear u r going on another cruise. What ship are u going on? I'll take a look on its roll call to make sure I don't miss your lovely pics. I haven't been to Kotor or Dubrovnik. I travelled through the 'old' Yugoslavia many years ago but didn't make it to the coast so am keen to see it through your excellent photography. Cheers. Jennifer

newlondon: Terry' date=' I'll bet you're doing Regent. We took their Venice to Istanbul which stopped at both Dubrovnik and Kotor. [b']Kotor is fantastic and the cruise up the fjords to get there[/b], while not Norway or Chile, is great. Regent is not SS but we had a very good time. Be careful, though, about their shore excursions as they don't compare to SS. Dubrovnik was a big disappointment, not as a location, but because of the crowds. Hope you do better. Waiting to hear on your return.

Conte Di Savoia: Hi Terry! It's been some time since we talked on Silver Cloud during that fantastic fjord cruise last July. I finally was able to discern that you will be aboard Celebrity Solstice for your up-coming cruise in the Med. Great time of the year to be there! The Solstice class of ships are beautifully decorated' date=' but oh that size! And all those people! It's going to be very different from the club-like atmosphere aboard Silver Cloud. We were aboard Queen Victoria in February for a two week cruise to Hawaii from LA. We enjoyed the trip and the interesting folks we met aboard, but the size made it a very different experience than SilverSea. Our next cruise is scheduled for late October aboard Silver Explorer, ex-Prince Albert II which we were able to explore when we were in Norway. I couldn't resist a ship with its own mud room! [/quote']

Appreciate the comments/follow-up by Jennifer, newlondon and Dr. Carl. We are doing the Celebrity Solstice from Barcelona June 7-19. It is a larger ship, but works as a compromise with traveling friends who like/need the larger ship. We wanted to try a larger ship, see how it compares. Our friends (with good taste and style) really like this ship from past experiences. Solstice has gotten great reviews and is praised for its design that does not seem crowded, offers good food, etc. Most important, this cruise gives us two different stops along the Croatian Coast, Dubrovnik and Kotor, a key goal for us. Lots of great sights, history, religious battles, etc., in this old Yugoslavia. Really excited about seeing those areas for the first time. This will bring us up to having visited 22 different countries in Europe. For our day in Dubrovnik, we will be the only ship in port, hopefully lessening the crowds that can overwhelm that historic walled town.

We like a nice ship as we have had with Silversea, Crystal and Seabourn on our first three cruises. BUT, we can survive on this, too, hopefully. It will be different than the Silver Cloud, but getting variety and sampling different options can work, too, as we consider future options. For us, as much or more is about the ports, etc., not just the cruise ship itself.

Will plan on taking lots of pictures. A couple of planned highlight include seeing Cinque Terre for the first time and in Rome, we will be doing a special Scavi/Necropolis tour under the Papal Basilica of St. Peter. Can't take pictures down in that historic area, but I will have lots of other visuals from Italy, plus southern France and Barcelona, etc.

For Dr. Carl, enjoy the Silver Explorer! Yes, I remember that unique "mud room" on that ship when toured through it in Tromso.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Terry, we did Venice to Barcelona last April on Oceania, with our first stop after Venice in Dubrovnik for the day (absolutely gorgeous) and disembarking in Barcelona, where we had three wonderful days post-cruise. That is a fabulous city which I hope to return to again. We devoted one day to Gaudi, and I was overwhelmed by this man's genius.

Your itinerary sounds fantastic. We have not yet visited Kotor, but it remains on our list. We had a day in La Spezia, but, unfortunately, it rained and rained, so we ended up visiting the small (but excellent) museum in town there rather than returning to the little towns in the Cinque Terre that we barely had visit the previous year. Guess we'll have to try again someday!:)

Bon voyage; we fly out to Copenhagen on June 8. Thanks for all your advice for our Baltic trip.

Terry, we did Venice to Barcelona last April on Oceania, with our first stop after Venice in Dubrovnik for the day (absolutely gorgeous) and disembarking in Barcelona, where we had three wonderful days post-cruise. That is a fabulous city which I hope to return to again. We devoted one day to Gaudi, and I was overwhelmed by this man's genius. Your itinerary sounds fantastic. We have not yet visited Kotor, but it remains on our list. We had a day in La Spezia, but, unfortunately, it rained and rained, so we ended up visiting the small (but excellent) museum in town there rather than returning to the little towns in the Cinque Terre that we barely had visit the previous year. Guess we'll have to try again someday!:) Bon voyage; we fly out to Copenhagen on June 8. Thanks for all your advice for our Baltic trip.

gdlamberth: Terry' date=' Be sure to walk the City Walls in Dubrovnik. You'll get some great opportunities for photos. Greg [/quote']

Appreciate all of the wonderful tips and ideas from Pam and Greg. Very helpful. Am planning on getting lots of great pictures along the Croatian Coast (a big must-see reason for picking this cruise), along with old favorites in these parts of Italy, France and Spain. Starting June 8, I hope to post some sort of "Live/Solstice Reports: Italy/Med/Croatian June 7-19" blog. It will probably at

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28

It will be a good chance to test and explore the various pro/con factors with smaller versus larger ships.

Enjoy your cruise from Copenhagen. Look forward to hearing how that adventure goes. THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Terry, you will love Kotor. Beautiful old town and lovely area and setting. We stopped there last year on the Spirit. You will have wonderful photo ops.

By the way, I think that we will be in your old suite, 532, on the Cloud July 5-20. Anything we should know?

Go Tribe and Browns.

Dieter

Terry, you will love Kotor. Beautiful old town and lovely area and setting. We stopped there last year on the Spirit. You will have wonderful photo ops. By the way, I think that we will be in your old suite, 532, on the Cloud July 5-20. Anything we should know? Go Tribe and Browns. Dieter

Hi, Dieter. Appreciate the great preview on Kotor. Doing both Dubrovnik and Kotor was a big motivator for doing this cruise. Looking forward to that early am sailing into to Kotor. On some of the cruise lines that we had used in the past (and loved) their options and timings in these areas were limited and/or did not fit our schedules. This Solstice cruise made a good opportunity to travel with friends who had done (and loved) Celebrity many times, plus see this scenic area and some old favorites in Italy, etc.

Yes, Suite 532!! Great and handy location! If you find that $15K in cash I left behind in that Silver Cloud room, send me half and you can keep the rest. It's there in that usual secret place. Let me know if you find it.

Yes, the Indians are doing super well. Love the Browns, but it's been a long, long time since the "good old days" and there is big doubt if there will be an NFL season this fall.

Edited by TLCOhio

Terry,

Be sure to walk the City Walls in Dubrovnik. You'll get some great opportunities for photos.

Greg

Agreed the most interesting and scenic walk ,look forward to the photos Terry and also your views on the Solstice particularly as your views and experince on the Cloud coincide with ours.We join the Cloud 20 July for 6 weeks and your posts in July 2010 have been helpful in our planning.Thanks and enjoy the Solstice.

Agreed the most interesting and scenic walk ,look forward to the photos Terry and also your views on the Solstice particularly as your views and experince on the Cloud coincide with ours.We join the Cloud 20 July for 6 weeks and your posts in July 2010 have been helpful in our planning. Thanks and enjoy the Solstice.

Our best wishes for your July 20 cruise on the Silver Cloud. Look forward to reports on your success and the crew on board.

Doing our final packing today and getting things ready at home for while we are gone. Per AccuWeather for the early days of our cruise, it looks like we'll get some rain and showers. One traveler from the UK on our cruise promises to bring down better weather from England. I don't know how that works, but I hope such "magic" achieves its goal. We like sunshine and not too warm of weather. Can you help on those needs?

• 4 weeks later...
Would you please share contact information for your private driver in Gudvangen? Thanx

Our private driver was Johnny and we reached him through this e-mail: post@visitgudvangen.com

The cost last summer was $187 or 1200 NOK for a fourteen-passenger van to drive up through the Nærøy Valley and Stalheim Tunnel en route to the Tvinde Waterfall, stopping at the Stalheim Hotel (with its antiques and super views) and then returning by the Stalheimskleiva Road, Norway's steepest road with thirteen hairpin turns that was constructed in 1849. The Stalheim Hotel is spectacularly perched upon a cliff 1,800 feet high, overlooking waterfalls and the valley below. His mobilphone is +4790158142

Things worked super well with Johnny and on this tour. Need any added info?

Just back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. These postings are now over 14,000 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Appreciate those who have “tuned in”. Don’t be shy and feel free to comment and/or ask any questions of interest.

• 1 month later...
Would you please share contact information for your private driver in Gudvangen? Thanx

For our California friend, did you you make contact with him, have you done your cruise/trip, yet? How did things go?

Recently back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 34,731 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

• 5 months later...
This morning’s report will be BOTH spectacular, but also super short? Why? So much happened great that it will take too much time to report all of the details, right now. AND, we are ready to arrive in Alesund and do a special Runde Birdrock trip we have set-up to do on our own, etc. Plus, it’s the Fourth of July!

Why was yesterday so great? Super wonderful weather! Almost “hot”, plus much sun. The fjords are so beautiful and dramatic. We had a nice, fantastic train trip up through the mountains from Flam, then Gudvangen with our private driver to Tvinde Waterfall, Stalheim Hotel and then returning by the Stalheimskleiva Road, Norway's steepest road with thirteen hairpin turns that was constructed in 1849.

Then in the evening as the Silver Cloud is sailing out through the fjords, we had a custom, five-course dinner by Chef Douglas Hope to celebrate, formally, my wife’s birthday with Hotel Director Giovanni Dotti joining us, a Broadway Rock musical program and it is light outside until after 11:30 pm. What more could be more perfectly nice and enjoyable?

Below are just a few of about 300 pictures that I took yesterday. Many more details will follow as the schedule settles down on a sea day.

Arriving at Flam, the Captain is right there directing this process. You can see here some of the fjord mountains, waterfalls in the background. Below are more pictures and highlights from this day in the Sognerfjord that is rated as the best in all of Norway for these views.:

FjordsDockedFlam.jpg

FjordsShipView.jpg

FjordsPoolViews.jpg

FjordsCloudinWater.jpg

FjordsHotelValleyView.jpg

FjordsFallsWide.jpg

Terry,

Did you book your train trip in Flam through the cruise line? It is so expensive that way! I thought about buying the train tickets in Bergen for the train in Flam. But there will be a lot of people with other cruise ships when we are in Flam. What are your thoughts about this?

Terry, Did you book your train trip in Flam through the cruise line? It is so expensive that way! I thought about buying the train tickets in Bergen for the train in Flam. But there will be a lot of people with other cruise ships when we are in Flam. What are your thoughts about this?

we're sailing away....: Very nice job ....

Appreciate the kind comments from we're sailing away....

From iowasue' date=' that is a good question on the tickets for the Flam rail trip. For our group of four, we could have saved a little money (maybe $20-30 each person) by booking the train tickets through RailEurope and/or the Norway rail website. BUT, our "window" of time in this port was fairly short with just four hours in Flam (before departing for the afternoon to go to Gudvangen, have a private driver, see Tvinde Waterfall, Stalheim Hotel and ride down the Stalheimskleiva Road, Norway's steepest road with thirteen hairpin turns that was constructed in 1849).

We didn't want to have any risks of ticketing and/or boarding problems . . . either going up and/or coming back. [b']It was a "trade-off" of a little added cost versus the risk/benefit ratio on not having to worry.[/b] This could include any issues if the ship is late getting into the port, technical problems happen with the train, etc. You don't go to many fjords and our group consensus was to be "worry free".

This Flam stop is one of the most popular for most ships in the region and things can be busy there on some summer days.

For Norway, one of the honest "realities" is that things will be costly here in this country. On my earlier postings, I have given many more details and reasons as to why and how. That means that excursions will be seem and be high. True, but what's your alternative? You don't want to go here and not more fully see and experience all that is so super great here. Just walking around in these small port villages in the fjords does not allow you to see and do what is really great here.

This posting is now over 59,000 views and I appreciate those who have "tuned in", asked questions, made comments, etc. Keep it coming! It's been fun sharing! Don't be shy in any follow-ups.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 64,331 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

• 3 weeks later...

Loving your Norway Fjords Cruise blog - we are booked on Seabourne in late June/early July for a similar cruise.

One nagging question we haven't been able to get an answer for - did you experience any rough seas? If so, where and for how long?

Thanks so much - for your reply and for your terrific blog!

Loving your Norway Fjords Cruise blog - we are booked on Seabourne in late June/early July for a similar cruise.

One nagging question we haven't been able to get an answer for - did you experience any rough seas? If so, where and for how long?

Thanks so much - for your reply and for your terrific blog!

Loving your Norway Fjords Cruise blog - we are booked on Seabourne in late June/early July for a similar cruise. One nagging question we haven't been able to get an answer for - did you experience any rough seas? If so, where and for how long? Thanks so much - for your reply and for your terrific blog!

Appreciate the kind follow-up from our "neighbor" to the north in Toronto. On our two weeks plus cruise, we did not encounter anything that I would call "rough seas". One day, we had a little more "rock" but nothing too bad. In another case as we were skirting part of the North Sea coming back towards Copenhagen, the planned route would have had some added challenges, but the Captain adjust our sailing direction to lessen any of those major impacts. Our Captain considers July to be the best month for visiting these areas and your timing should be good. For much of these route, there is also pretty good shelter thanks to the Lofoten Islands and other factors.

Let me know any other questions or interests. This posting is now over 61,000 views and I am glad so many have dropped by and/or tuned in.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 68,189 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

If anyone is going to spend additional time or wants a return trip to Croatia, check out Cavtat, a small town on the coast about a half hour from Dubrovnik. It is a charming town with a lot of little restaurants and shops. The last time we were there they had a water polo "stadium" in the middle of town. It is also a good jumping off point to other villages.

We stayed at the Hotel Cavtat, which was and I think still is a five star property. It is a short walk from the town.

It was a while ago so maybe it has changed and become a lot more commercialized but I hope not.

We often ask hotel staff where they go to eat and we get some (mostly) great recommendations. When in Cavtat (pronounced "Tavtat") a waiter recommended a small place on a small street in town. It was an outdoor courtyard of someone's house. The lady who owned the restaurant brought out a huge platter of various fish and shell fish and proudly told us that one hour ago the fish were still swimming in the ocean. Great meal, I wish I could remember the name.

Your pictures are fabulous!!!! What type of camera do you have??? We're going on the Caribbean Princess in June from Southampton up the west coast of Norway to Honningsvag and back. I need a new camera!!! Thanks! Karen

Appreciate so much the nice and kind comments from Karen in Florida. Good luck on your upcoming Norway cruise!! Glad to know you will go all of the way up to the North Cape during your cruise.

On cameras to capture those great cruise memories, my camera used for these pictures from Norway and the Baltics was a Nikon D50 SLR (single lens reflex, through the eyepiece live viewing). Good, but not at the super-pro, high-cost level. Many people have cameras at and near that quality or comparable. These days, the digital technology has improved so much that nearly everyone can take good to great pictures. In October 2010, I bought a Nikon D3100 that shoots at a much higher, 14.2 mp or pixel level to allow more raw material for editing the pictures on your computer, has a larger 3” back of camera viewing screen, other features, etc. This kind of camera can be very complicated and sophisticated. BUT, I shoot at mostly the automatic or program setting that has the camera doing most all of the “work” for focus and exposure. That allows me to concentrate on being creative for what I am shooting, framing and to take more pictures. The best part on many of these newer Nikon cameras is that it shoots 1080p high def cinematic video with sound. We just got our first grandchild and that gives us important, new potentials with this camera. The recent pictures from Barcelona, Italy and the Croatian Coast were shot with this camera. This Nikon D3100 with a good, basic 18-55mm lens with the VR image stabilization runs around $550. The camera body is nearly 5” wide and weighs just one pound. With this basic lens that zooms from wide to closer, you’ve still got a fairly light and handy package to have around your neck as you travel and cruise.

Photo secrets & tips? It's a little more than just the "camera". Here are some of my tips, secrets and suggestions to share. I found taking cruise and travel pictures is fun, plus much, much cheaper than shopping for souvenirs.

1. ZOOM/FRAMING: Fill the frame and make it interesting. Use your feet. Move closer. Zoom in or out. Make it tighter in the picture frame, etc. People don't want to be bored with a key subject or highlight being only in the middle 15% of the picture frame.

2. LENS: Many of the nice pictures in certain famed palaces and churches in Russia, etc., were taken with my 10-20 mm lens that gives a wider angle view than average. That really helped create some picture "drama" without being too wide and distorted as can happen with a fish-eye lens. There are cases where that longer lens (have a 55-300 mm zoom with my Nikon D3100) can really help. In many cases, my basic 18-55 mm zoom covers the middle range. It's nice to have one lens that covers all needs, but then you lose some in the desired picture quality.

3. LOTS OF PICTURES: With digital, it is much easier and cheaper to take lots of pictures, see what you have, take more pictures, try different angles, etc. In the old 35 mm film days, you could not take as many different pictures and you were always guessing and hoping on exposure, what you really captured, etc. Then you need to be checking as you go on what you just shot, blow off the duds, etc. It's great instant feed-back on what's working and what's not. As you are riding on a bus, waiting in line, that picture checking is a good way to both pass the time and monitor your picture progress/success (or failure).

4. STEADY HOLD: I mostly use the eyepiece viewer, not the back of camera viewing screen. That keeps the camera closer to my body and makes it more stable. Use your elbows against your body to brace the camera. I'll lean against walls or doorframes when taking certain inside pictures in low light situations to improve . . . stability! You don't want blurred and shaky pictures. Set the camera on walls, chairs, etc. Stability! Some think that if they push the button faster to take the picture, then it will be better. WRONG! Gently S-Q-U-E-E-Z-E that shutter button, slowly! It makes a major difference in picture quality.

5. PEOPLE: Having people as a part of the picture gives it context, interest, etc. Lots of "just the place" pictures are nice, but I have found that the ones with some human involvement and/or connection look and work better.

Do you download your pictures to your computer? Today's technology makes it easier to straighten pictures, adjust the cropping, fix color balance, etc. I usually take my MackBook Pro laptop along, downloading and checking the pictures as I travel, etc.

Does this help? Added questions??

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 68,427 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Has anyone taken the Flam to Myrdal train ride on the Oslo Excursions on Princess?

You might post your question on the Baltics board and you will have a better chance for gaining more info from those who might have done such a trip from Oslo. That board is at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=192

When you post there, it is best to have a good title to attract more responses. You might title it as:

Oslo-Myrdal Flam One-Day Excursion??

Our cruise docked in Flam, so it was easier for us to do the exciting rail trip from that location. As I re-call from other postings, it would be a fairly long day doing that excursion over and back from Oslo. From Oslo to Myrdal, one-way, is about five hours by rail. BUT, it could give you a good sample of the "real fjords". The fjord leading into Oslo is not very dramatic, nor that close to the real thing that you can see on the western coast.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 68,697 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at: