Packing Style...differences between men and women??

5326jan

...or just me and my DH??? I have been agonizing over what to pack on our 2 week trip to Alaska and Vancouver for months. Does it match, will it coordinate with other items for variety, is it temperature appropriate, but not too wintery looking, etc. I have been "practice packing" to make sure that things fit in without being wrinkled beyond the "bathroom shower steaming" treatment. I have also thought about what else we may need or want to have, which books I will bring, and so on.

Today, my DH decides to pack and within 10 minutes has a stack of stuff that's been pulled from his closet. Nothing coordinates, some of it is hand-me-up stuff from our son, nothing packed for "nice dinner" clothes. The question is this: Do I "butt in" and make other recommendations or realize that he is a successful professional who just doesn't care about style and leave it alone? OR... sneak a few nice things into my suitcase to add to his later. He'd never remember what he packed or didn't, because no thought went into it. I don't want to be *itchy and I do appreciate him for so many other things. However, many times he has forgotten to bring ties, belts, etc due to lack of a plan. :rolleyes: Suggestions???

PS We;ve been married 31 years!

I ALWAYS pack for my hubby...or he wouldn't have anything to wear! I do make him tell me which particular shirts, pants, etc...he'd like to take...and I can "nix" anything that belongs in the rag bin!

Should anything be forgotten, too bad...he should learn to do this on his own. I would NEVER let him actually put the stuff in the suitcase! (we cross-pack, in case one bag goes missing!)

He'll tell me what he likes and what fits, and it's either hung in the "packing" room, or laid on the bed....I take if from there.

Don't put things into the suitcase too soon....no matter what, they WILL wrinkle! Do your actual packing into the suitcase as late as possible!

We 've been doing it this way for 36 years....so don't feel bad!

When we were allowed two checked pieces of luggage each I would gather all the clothing I thought I would need regardless if I wore it all and DW would find room for it all. When luggage rules changed I began to pack my own things because now I had to think about each piece of clothing as to whether it will match, or if I had enough but not too much clothing for causal dress, formal, and active wear.

We generally cruise on RCCL and they offer tux rental and I love this service. When I arrive in my room the tux is there and I don't have to buy it, pack it, or clean it and you can't beat that. Plus I get to pack a lot more cloths also.

I start packing at least two weeks before a cruise. That way I can pack without hurrying to see what will work and what won't. I choose to pack clothing that is wrinkle resistant and I use folders and cubes to pack my clothing in and I don't have any wrinkle issues. I find packing with folders and cubes I can easily add or subtract items without totaling unpacking to make changes.

Shak

I am so glad my DH knows how to pack. The one thing drives me batty is I'm packed a couple days in advance(I don't over-pack I over organize) Either then night before or morning of, he's packed everything ready to go. How he does it. I am still trying to figure it out.

Alrana

I give my husband a list of clothing he needs and he makes choices from that list. If I didn't, he would take along enough clothing for a month, he's the overpacker in this household. We both pretty much pack from the clothing we already have with the exception of perhaps a new cocktail dress for me or new tie for him.

I do the packing, not a big deal to me. He is great at ironing and folding his own clothes but if I let him pack he would only get half of his choices in the case. I have a definite method to my madness and he knows better than to try to "help".

It works well for us, I'm not about to tell him he's a big boy and can do it himself. We are a partnership and some things each of us can do better than the other, so tasks are divided fairly. While I'm packing, he's doing something like washing my car, filling my gas tank, doing dishes or laundry, housework, etc...

The upside is we're getting ready for a vacation and both of us are excited about that :)

The only real problem he's given me is that I'll ask him a couple weeks in advance if he needs anything from the store (socks/underwear) and he always says no. Then, while getting his stuff from the drawers, he'll tell me he needs those things the day before we leave.

when we first started to cruise..i took everything out of the closet that i thought would work for the cruise and then hubby would pick what he wanted to take...i would say you need this many pants, jeans, shirts, ts etc and then work from there...now after cruising we both have several things that always go with us on the cruises and they stay in another closet so other than a few new things everything is there...he has so many ts for day that he has to decide between them or he would pack them all, but it does make it easier when you have a 'list' and its really easy when you plan each day from top to bottom---works for hubby too as he doesnt waste time deciding what should "I" wear...its already all laid out on the list!

i get everything out and then we put the combos together and he 'helps' me pack:)

best tip tho is to cross-pack so that way if one bag is lost it isnt all his stuff or yours;)

My husband lays out what he wants to take--and then I edit it to make sure things go together and that he has the right clothes for evenings. He's a brillaint man in many ways, but could pick out a shirt that clashes with khaki pants.

We do the actual packing together. I insist that we cross pack, which he doesn't like--but I remind him that if all my clothes go missing, he won't have any fun.

Thanks so much for all the feedback! I looked quickly when he was busy outside and he only has one shirt in the pile!!! There are about 4 sweatshirts/fleeces, but nothing to go under them! One of the sweatshirts was when the Redskins won the SuperBowl.....LOL how many DECADES ago was that????? (1992!) :eek: Oh, I'm definitely going to intervene when he goes to work on Tuesday. He's so smart, yet so clueless! I'm glad to know that I'm not being overly controlling by "helping".

Too late now, but try this trick I used on my 3-year-old when she wanted to start dressing herself. Just hang coordinating outfits next to each other in the closet. Don't even buy anything that doesn't go with the rest of the wardrobe. Then when he just grabs a bunch of hangers out of the closet -- voila, he's good to go! :cool:

I also pack for my husband because he hates to pack and I don't mind. Friends say I'm nuts but I've learned when cruising it's necessary to be extremely organized. I plan what to wear every day for both day and evening for both of us, down to socks and jewelry, put it all in a color coded spreadsheet. Think what you will but it works for me. Not having to remember that I can't wear this or that because I'll need it another day for a specific excursion or something like that makes life just that much easier on vacation.

I found this website back in 2006 and using this method I can get all our clothes into one case each (plus 1 carry-on for me) for a 7 day cruise.

http://www.packinglight.net/plight/text_1.asp?tx_id=90

With baggage costs these days this could save you a couple bucks.

My husband is a very good packer. I help him pick out the clothing:p He's better than he was when we first met, but still could use a little assistance:rolleyes: But - when I need to make sure my clothing doesn't wrinkle and fits in my bag - I get him to help me roll & pack it!!!

My husband can pack everything in less than an hour, maybe 30 minutes. However I have to remind him to take slacks and whatever is needed for dinner and especially a warm jacket or sweater. I take a full day to pack, and I used to take everything on the ultimate packing list. As luggage limits have gone down, I've had to go to small shampoos and other products, and I carefully eliminate duplicates. (I was 3 # under on our last trip overseas!) But if my DH ever needs a bandaid or scissors, I am ready!

i start packing anywhere from 2 weeks-1 week and i NEED all the time....lol..i do a few times of trial packing too and then sometimes decide OK i really dont NEED it.....lol....

no matter how we all do pack or dont, sure is FUN reading about everyone's "packing styles"!!!

i start packing anywhere from 2 weeks-1 week and i NEED all the time....lol..i do a few times of trial packing too and then sometimes decide OK i really dont NEED it.....lol....

no matter how we all do pack or dont, sure is FUN reading about everyone's "packing styles"!!!

I eliminated a number of things from my stack today. We leave in a week, so it's getting down to crunch time.

If I were more computer savvy I'd do a spread sheet too, but since I take black and white with a seasonal "highlight" color, there wouldn't be much need for the color coding part. My accent color for this summer is a bright turquoisey blue. I have found a number of things with that color since spring, so it's an easy one to use. In the past I have used red or lime green with the black and white.

I have 1 pr tennis shoes, I pair of white with black accent privo maryjane walking shoes and black slingback pumps ~1 1/4" heel, so they can be worn with capris. Of course a pair of black flip flops too! :p

Again, thanks everyone for participating in my little "gripe session"!

5326jan...LUCKY YOU..i have to wait til December, but time is going fast...

have a FANTASTIC time...

my cruise pack sheet is actually all handwritten...i just found it easier to do the Old-fashion way.......lol....i love writing and making lists and can do them anywhere...if i write them

ENJOY:)

After learning the hard way that its not safe to pack in the same suitcase as my husband, I have chosen to take my own.

Once he has his stuff packed I will run down a checklist with him (pants for dinner, jacket, etc). Once everything is checked off I am done. He can then have his fun of unpacking (and then re-packing) after I go through it with him.

My husband packs very last minute . Takes way less time than me and uses less than half the luggage I do . YET he always is dressed soo nice! He always says did you pack for me but the truth is I wouldn't dare! He picks out his clothes he buys his own clothes he has a particular taste and when we are out he always gets attention from the ladies :rolleyes:. Most of the time I am worried that I don't look as good as he does :eek:. Then again I am 5 ft. tall and 120 lbs most of my weight is in my legs and butt. He is 6ft.2in. tall and about 200lbs.(with a Vodka belly...LOL). So clothes don't fit me as well as they do him. I always over pack but I am almost always cold (DH swears I'm gonna love hot flashes) so I pack for the weather plus the air conditioning. I am one of those I'd rather have it and not need it than not have it and need it people. He is a if I don't have it I'll impravise guy.

We compromise - I choose the outfits that we will be taking with us and he puts everything in the suitcase.

The one time he did his own packing resulted in him forgetting to take his suit :eek: So now I take care of making sure we have everything we need, and since he is much better at fitting stuff into the suitcase, I leave that task for him :D

I ALWAYS pack for my hubby...or he wouldn't have anything to wear! I do make him tell me which particular shirts, pants, etc...he'd like to take...and I can "nix" anything that belongs in the rag bin!

Should anything be forgotten, too bad...he should learn to do this on his own. I would NEVER let him actually put the stuff in the suitcase! (we cross-pack, in case one bag goes missing!)

He'll tell me what he likes and what fits, and it's either hung in the "packing" room, or laid on the bed....I take if from there.

Don't put things into the suitcase too soon....no matter what, they WILL wrinkle! Do your actual packing into the suitcase as late as possible!

We 've been doing it this way for 36 years....so don't feel bad!

Thanks for your post!

I couldn't have described our routine better. After all our years of marriage/travel, it works for us too.

LOL, learned the hard way not to have his/her bags.

I do put bubble wrap in our bags to prevent clothes from slipping around.

It somes in handy on the trip home if I need to wrap something.

My DH never ever packs, we have been married well over 40 years and the only time he packed was for our honeymoon. It is difficult to pack for him as he is a big man with big clothes and big shoes (size 15) so I have to plan and pack carefully, he is not a clothes horse so I keep it simple as possible of coarse including a good suit and etc. for formal ware. I would hate to think what he would pack, oh nooooo not good. So I do it.

Cori

I pack all of the suitcases - and by that, I mean I put the things in it. I expect DH to know how many pairs of underwear and socks he needs, so I make sure he got them out. He picks his casual wear. I select his formal wear if we are doing that. I also make all of the selections for DS. SO, I essentially do the packing for 2.5 people. But we have all we need..... I make excel spreadsheets for all the different packing scenarios: cruise, long weekend, NASCAR trip, driving vacation (working on this one now).

Archived