Areas more likely to have rough seas?

LindaKE

Are there parts of the cruise where you're more likely to run into rough seas? We had very smoothe seas when we were there. I assumed that was primarily due to the inland passage being protected, but I keep reading questions about sea sickness. Are the parts where the sea isn't protected by islands the area where one might encounter rough seas? Just curious since we had such a smoothe trip. I've been thinking that when we return, we won't need as much meds as we generally take on our other cruises.

I am assuming that the Zuidy is doing the 7 day rtn from Vancouver next year as she is doing this year. That being the case, you will (may) encounter some rough waters in Queen Charlotte Sound which is that body of water north of Vancouver Is. and in Dixon Entrance which is the body of water north of the Queen Charlotte Island. However in each instance we are speaking of a few hours of potentially rough waters. That said always be prepared for the worst.

Cruises that depart and return to Seattle often have rough seas for the first day or so and the last day.

Late season cruises may have rough seas in the Gulf of Alaska going to and coming from Whittier and Seward.

There are nearly always rough seas around Kodiak but few cruise ships go there.

What people may not get, is these routes are NOT fixed. They can vary greatly and there can be open ocean sailing on any cruise, depending on the cpt. I've been on round trip Vancouver- which in theory, does have the "most" inside sailing, which ended up having hours of rough open ocean bouncing around.

Overall, on only an average- outside Vancouver Island- round trip Seattle, one ways across the gulf have the roughest potential.

There is no way to predict anything sailing Alaska, although people try. IF prone to motion sickness, than being prepared is the only answer, with being on the water. Even a "couple hours" of being ill is terrible and time stands still.

We have encountered pretty rough water twice in Alaska.

Once was coming down "outside" Vancouver Island into Victoria.

The other was crossing the Gulf of Alaska sailing toward Seward.

You never know. However a Vancouver round trip will usually have the most time "inside" and the least chance for rough water, on the average.

• 3 weeks later...

In his reply above Putterdude says:

"..... you will (may) encounter some rough waters in Queen Charlotte Sound which is that body of water north of Vancouver Is. and in Dixon Entrance which is the body of water north of the Queen Charlotte Island....."

This is exactly what we experienced on our Coral Princess southbound cruise (our only cruise to date) a couple of years ago. My entire family thought we were not going to make it through the day:eek:. But around noon, it got better.

Now, we're considering a itinerary round-trip from Seattle. Is it going to be like that on the two sea days to/from Seattle?

Thanks!

The only rough seas that we encountered during our southbound cruise on Radiance in June occurred when we crossed the Gulf of Alaska. For the rest of our cruise, seas were smooth and even those who experienced problems the first night of the cruise as we crossed the Gulf, had no further problems for the rest of the voyage. I suspect that there are even occasions when the seas in the Gulf are relatively calm, so there is no way of knowing what you will experience on your cruise but it is quite likely that any motion problems will not be long-lived.:)

Now, we're considering a itinerary round-trip from Seattle. Is it going to be like that on the two sea days to/from Seattle?

Thanks!

With a 7 day return out of Seattle you run the real chance of heavy seas for the first full day and your last day as you will be out in the Pacific to the west of Vancouver Island. You are also subject to rough seas in Dixon Entrance which is north of the Queen Charlotte Islands. So the short answer to your question is ... yes, it could well be.

Would you consider 20 foot seas and 60 MPH winds rough??:eek: Had that west of Vancouver Island heading back to Seattle this past June!:D

Only if you haven't experienced 100 mph winds and 60 foot swells that we have sailed through in the north Atlantic.:D

YEP!:p I'm doing the Drake Passage in January...wonder what I'll get then?:cool:

The odds say you will have some very rough seas. Of course, this will be a reminder that you are on a cruise ship. :D

First time we did this route about two hours before we got to the passage the seas were quite calm but in the matter of 30 minutes it went from calm to very rough seas. Second time the seas were perfect and I could go outside on the open deck and take some nice pictures. Odds say it will be rough but you just never know from voyage to voyage. So, be sure to fasten your seat belt. :p

Keith

Cruises that depart and return to Seattle often have rough seas for the first day or so and the last day.

Late season cruises may have rough seas in the Gulf of Alaska going to and coming from Whittier and Seward.

There are nearly always rough seas around Kodiak but few cruise ships go there.

We had very rough seas leaving Seattle last week. It made our last 'rough sea day' in 2008 where we caught the tail of tropical storm Dolly seem serene.

The odds say you will have some very rough seas. Of course, this will be a reminder that you are on a cruise ship. :D

First time we did this route about two hours before we got to the passage the seas were quite calm but in the matter of 30 minutes it went from calm to very rough seas. Second time the seas were perfect and I could go outside on the open deck and take some nice pictures. Odds say it will be rough but you just never know from voyage to voyage. So, be sure to fasten your seat belt. :p

Keith

Keith,

It seems like the Symphony gets the good weather every other year - 2 years ago was when they blew the windows out on some of the "Ds" on 5 and last year it was smooth as glass.....so, it looks like I'll be in for a "ride"! :D I'll just look at it as getting my money's worth! :p

Patty

We had very smooth sailing going north from Seattle, but hit incredibly rough seas leaving Ketchikan and heading south to Victoria. I would say we had about 8 hours of constant rocking and rolling.

One of the reasons I started my cruise web cam time lapse collection was to provide some real examples for questions like this.

If you go to my video collection, you will get a list of all cruises I have (not all cruise ships have webcams). Pick ones that are similar to what you are looking at, such as leave Vancouver (round trip or one way), Whittier or Seattle. The Diamond, Pearl and Coral (after June 5th when they replaced the webcam) are good examples. The webcam on the Island Princess is not very good so avoid it.

You don't have to play the whole thing, just pause it and slide the time to different days. You get a good feel for where the rough areas might be. Of course, its not perfect, I didn't capture at night for example and the view is a bit restrictive.

But having seen most of them (when producing them), the things you read on this board are pretty accurate. Seattle Cruises do hit rougher weather more often when going west of Vancouver Island (going and/or returning), Vancouver round trips cruises typically have smooth seas except for short periods north of Vancouver Island. Once amongst the various SE Alaska ports the water is almost lake like (most of the time).

Archived