Anyone Remember When it Was NCCL???

frednsb

we took the southward ,the skyward. they had a cruise rate for $549 where you chose the weekend and they choose the day, either fri or sat and they chose the ship. a couple of times we were able to fly peoples express from newark n.j for $49. times were easier than.

Way back in the 70's I cruised on the SS Norway out of Miami. Anyone else Have some older NCL or NCCL cruises to talk about?

I surely remember NCCL...but they (Kloster) purchased the France in 1979, and I don't believe she actually sailed as the Norway until 1980 as she had to be substantially refurbished after being purchased...but it is possible she was in service as the Norway in late 1979.

We sailed the Starward, 1974. Nassau, Jamaica, Haiti. Then we did an all inclusive resort in Jamaica in 1986 and the resort took the kids club, with my kids, on a tour of the Skyward while it was in port. I remember the days when you could visit other ships that were in port!

Beverly

We sailed the Starward, 1974. Nassau, Jamaica, Haiti. Then we did an all inclusive resort in Jamaica in 1986 and the resort took the kids club, with my kids, on a tour of the Skyward while it was in port. I remember the days when you could visit other ships that were in port!

Beverly

Exactly!! We sailed the Chandris Atlantis in 1972. While we were docked in Nassau we toured the Starward, I believe it was....just walked up to the gangway and asked, and they said "sure"!! No ID, nothing, and we wandered around for quite a while. Those days are long gone!!:( A shame, the world is a very different place.

Regarding the NCCL, we have not heard of that, maybe you're thinking of RCCL? The original NCL was for Norwegian Caribbean Line...since 1966.

http://www.virginholidayscruises.co.uk/ncl/history.php

Our first cruise was on the Norway and that was in the early 80's. We had a very large oceanview cabin with portholes and twin beds! The elegance of the afternoon tea dances in the lounge (remember the Neptune statues that flanked the stage) and getting all dressed up...

The Norway remains our favorite NCL ship of all time - she was one special "Blue Lady"!

Our daughter was born in 1969, I believe it was 1970 we sailed on the NCCL STARWARD (Norwegian Carribean Cruise Line), then we sailed on the NORWAY in 1983. My those were good times, and you are oh so right, we live in a different world now!:(

Our first cruise was in 1978 aboard Starward, then the next year we sailed on Skyward.

Those ships were nice and comfortable with a medium sized passenger count. Does anyone remember when they used to bring local talent on board? I remember several times when we had entertainers from stops in Jamaica and also Haiti. What a difference nowadays. :rolleyes:

Our first cruise was on the Norway---a gift from my DM for our 25th anniversary. We got upgraded from a reg balcony to what I guess they would call an owners suite now. It was fabulous!! My DH never wanted to cruise, but since it was a "gift" he figured he'd better go! Now we cruise whenever possible!! He loves it!

The "Blue Lady" by all means the most elegant ship we've been on. This past June we had our 40th ann. and always think of that very first cruise that started this "addiction" for cruising and all because of my Mom!!;)

1976 sailed on NCCL Skyward, then in early '80 sailed on the Norway! Both were very nice laid back cruises and loved them!

In the late '70 also sailed on the very first Carnival ship. The Mardi Gras out of Miami! That was the start to something wasn't it?

Back in about 1999 & 2000 I went on a big band cruise. There were 4 bands aboard, two playing alternately each evening. Tex Beneke and Larry Elgart were the only two original bandleaders. The other leaders were members of the original bands. Harry James, Jimmy Dorsey, Tommy Dorsey, benny Goodman plus several others I don't recall. They were playing the old original arrangements. Tex Beneke was barely able to stand. He died a year later. There were two dance floors.

Bill Simon Vero Beach, FL billsimon2@juno.com

there was a time, cant remember which year ,that the Norway lost all power for a few days while sailing the caribbean.

That happened a couple of times back in 1980, i was on board for one of them. No water, no a/c, nothing. A lot of fun!

Our first cruise was on the Norway---a gift from my DM for our 25th anniversary. We got upgraded from a reg balcony to what I guess they would call an owners suite now.

I am curious. What "regular" balconies are you referring to? The only balconies on the Norway were attached to the suites on the added decks. Even the cabins (with balconies) on the Sun deck were all suites prior to the added decks.

PE

1967 Myself and three fellow high school graduates sailed on SS Miami out of Miani (an older Isreali ship owned by P&O). it was to be a four nighter to Naussa. It was a great cruise until the last night when a boiler blew and we wallowed in the ocean for a day and a-half until a tug came and towed us to Miami. No AC or electric. Slept on the deck, but being 18 it was another 2 days added to our graduation trip!!!

My first cruise was in 1987, when my ex-husband and I sailed on the late, great SS Norway. Considered the largest ship afloat in those days, it held about 2,000 passengers... and that was HUGE!

The first night was billed as "come as you are," just in case not everyone had received their luggage. But we had late seating, so just about everyone did. Still, we dressed casually. My ex was ready before I was (surprise! LOL), so he left the room to check things out. He came back in a bit of a panic. "Hon," he said, "you gotta change! We both gotta change! Everybody else is dressed up!" That wasn't much of a problem, since I'd packed newly purchased dresses for each night-- so I put one on, and off we went. Sure enough-- everybody was dressed up pretty darn much.

Formal night was a sight to behold: I never saw such dressed-up elegance, before or since! It really was something.

And the rules! Passengers were instructed not to wear shorts, etc. in public areas after 6:00 p.m.! Can you imagine? There was no buffet, no alternative dining. You got dressed up; you went to the dining room.

I've since been on another 13 cruises (one more on the Norway in 1989), but nothing ever could match the magic of that first cruise!

NCL is still a good company. I do remember the old days. Some good and some not so good. You have to give them credit as many other cruise lines have copied their ways.

Private islands

Freestyle Dining

Broadway shows

Larger ships - started by the Norways introduction

There are others but in the end, NCL is still good.

In July 1987 my college fraternity brother and I decided to take a Caribbean cruise on the SS Norway. I think we each paid around $1,300?? with air from Los Angeles to Miami on Eastern Airlines L-1011 red eye flight. (Wow...anyone remember Eastern!!) plus NCCL gave us a day room at a Miami hotel until the afternoon's embarkation. We booked the cheapest inside cabin on International Deck. The cabin was pretty small and had a upper and lower berth. However, the bathroom was quite large as I recall with towel warming bars (a feature carried over from the old SS France days). We dined in the Windward Dining room with it's grand sweeping staircase with glass doors. Although the food was good; it was not gourmet. Comedian Red Buttons was the guest entertainer and we saw the Broadway production of PT Barnum in the ship's two level theater. I do remember having pre dinner cocktails in the Club International which was the first class lounge in the old SS France days. It was very elegant. I also recall the grand midnight buffet with tables up and down both side of the inside promenade decks. I remember the ship's disco called "Dazzles" with port holes that looked in the ship's aft swimming pool. The ship had an orchestra and a marching band that played as the ship sailed out of the harbor. We went to St Marten, St. Thomas and Great Stirup Cay. They simply don't make ships like that anymore. This was cruising at it's finest.

In July 1987 my college fraternity brother and I decided to take a Caribbean cruise on the SS Norway... Comedian Red Buttons was the guest entertainer and we saw the Broadway production of PT Barnum in the ship's two level theater.

Oh my goodness-- this was the cruise I was on! Red Buttons! The week before we were on, Phyllis Diller was the entertainer-- remember hearing that? They stopped the "famous entertainer" thing shortly thereafter, because when I sailed the Norway again 2 years later, there were none booked.

At our dinner table there were 2 college boys named Frank and Rob (I had their names in my photo album... no, I don't have that good a memory!). You weren't one of them, were you?

The Norway was my first cruise also and even though I've loved every cruise since, nothing will ever compare with the magic of that experience. I still treasure the photos of my DH and I dressed up for every dinner. I'm happy not to do that anymore, in fact, I love Freestyle casualness, but it was a very special and romantic cruise so I'll never forget it.

Archived