Seeking Circumnavigation Cruise

Hello -- I am looking for a cruise line that plans on doing a circumnavigation of Australia in the next year or two -- 2010 is out.

I see that P&O does this, but am not sure they sell to U.S. customers (they have no U.S phone number)

Does anyone know of any other lines? Holland America doesn't have any, nor does Princess as far as I can see.

ZU

I'm already booked on the March 16, 2012 sailing of the Dawn Princess, Circle Australia Cruise! 28 days and 14 ports! :cool:

The Princess website has been pretty flakey for the past few weeks, but try searching for "Dawn Princess" and "March 2012"

Edited by captbill

Princess do circumnavigation of Australia including a diversion to Bali several times a year departing from Sydney on Dawn Princess. Sept 10 and March 11 departures at this stage. (2012 announced but not up on Website as yet, Princess are as slow as "wet weeks" in getting their site up to date !) . Details here :

http://www.princess.com/find/searchResults.do?time=66&trade=Z&ship=DP&duration=3&port=SYD&date=&orderBy=&filterBy=&resType=C&pageOffset=&bID=PCPB

If you have deep pockets Queen Mary II is doing a circumnavigation of Australia in 2012 and bookings about to open . Suggest check out Cunard website .

Princess do circumnavigation of Australia including a diversion to Bali several times a year departing from Sydney on Dawn Princess. Sept 10 and March 11 departures at this stage. (2012 announced but not up on Website as yet, Princess are as slow as "wet weeks" in getting their site up to date !) .

Actually the Sept 7,2011 and March 16,2012 Circumnavigation cruises are both on the website, in addition to the two earlier ones you mention. You can't search for them under "Australia/New Zealand" though. But if you go on the website, and search just "Dawn Princess" & "March 2012", you'll see the one I'm booked on. :cool:

Princess really needs to fix that little glitch ... I wonder how many sales their losing to would-be passengers who can't find the Circle Australia cruises on the schedule!:rolleyes:

We did a very nice circumnavigation with HAL this last March, including a jaunt out to Komodo Island. I think it was the only time they've done this and it's not on their itineraries again as far out as can be seen.

I thought perhaps since they are now going to have two ships in that area, that they would do one occasionally, but maybe it's not going to happen. Anyway, they did a nice job with it and we had a great time.

We did a very nice circumnavigation with HAL this last March, including a jaunt out to Komodo Island. I think it was the only time they've done this and it's not on their itineraries again as far out as can be seen.

I thought perhaps since they are now going to have two ships in that area, that they would do one occasionally, but maybe it's not going to happen. Anyway, they did a nice job with it and we had a great time.

Yes, I was surprised that HAL doesn't have another circumnavigation scheduled.

Pleased you had a great time.

Do you recall what the passenger mix was?

We would have gone with HAL but since they didn't offer it again we went with RCI.

The reason that the number of Australia circumnavigations is reduced in 2011 is that at least three of the regular cruise ships in the area are being used as floating hotels for the rugby world cup in New Zealand in late 2011. Regular routes will resume in 2012.

I, too, wanted to do a circumnavigation in October/November 2011, but am now awaiting publication of pricing for 2012.

We just booked the circumnavigation on the Dawn Princess Sep 7, 2011 for twenty eight days.

Nice cruise Paul..:)

I can see this itinerary becoming one of the must do's of cruising.

Not many countries that take 28 days to circumnavigate..:D

Not many countries that you can circumnavigate, and they are all much smaller than Australia

I didn't think the circumnavigation of Australia by ship would be as popular with Australians as it is. Most of us dream of driving around "the block". I could see it would be popular with the elderly who could no longer drive such distances. I wonder if they will eventually have a number of overnight stops, so people can enjoy the outback?

I didn't think the circumnavigation of Australia by ship would be as popular with Australians as it is. Most of us dream of driving around "the block". I could see it would be popular with the elderly who could no longer drive such distances. I wonder if they will eventually have a number of overnight stops, so people can enjoy the outback?

RCI has both post and pre cruise land tours - unfortunately none of them work with the cruises we're taking.

So we'll just have to make do with "around the block" by sea. I can't imagine how long it would take to drive but it would be quite a trip.

We were surprised by the number of Australians who were on the HAL 34 day circumnavigation. Interestingly, some were cruising around visiting family and/or friends in the various ports. It was great to get their input on some of the ports also.

HAL has one cruise director who is Australian and he was onboard for this trip. He was able to make it a more Australian trip than if we'd had another CD. It was great. And I'll say it again.......I wish they'd do it again.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm considering a 36 day circumnavigation on the Celebrity Century sailing on Jan 30, 2012. Celebrity has it posted as two seperate 18 days cruises--Bottom Cruise - Auckalnd to Perth and Top Cruise - Perth to Sydney. One of the online travel sites has put together an attractive bundle of the two cruises.

I'm considering a 36 day circumnavigation on the Celebrity Century sailing on Jan 30, 2012. Celebrity has it posted as two seperate 18 days cruises--Bottom Cruise - Auckalnd to Perth and Top Cruise - Perth to Sydney. One of the online travel sites has put together an attractive bundle of the two cruises.

Just went over and checked out the itinerary,

WOW, what a fantastic cruise that will be.

You get everything ...including an overnight in Sydney and a call up to Bali.

Great cruise.

• 1 month later...

Depends on how you define "cold" !! September this year has been cooler than usual with temps around 16C (61F) but there have been much colder days when those bitter southwest winds blast in from Antarctica! But this time last year we'd already had a couple of 30C (86F) days. You just never know. It's early spring so temps do tend to fluctuate - think "April showers". You will certainly notice a difference between the southern and northern sectors but any cool days will be more than compensated for once you get up to Queensland and the top end where the weather should be just about perfect.

Does anyone know if any cruiselines spend more than one day in any of the ports? I am just beginning my research and I would like to include the Great Ocean Road out of Melbourne on my trip. However, from my research, you need more time than a one day port stop. Just wondering if anyone stops there for an overnight. So far I have not been able to locate that option. I see Princess has a round trip Melbourne that I might consider, but still have lots more research to do to know which might be the best itinerary for us.