Quiet beach area on Coco Cay

We had a fantastic time on coco cay, and wanted to tell anyone who wants a much more secluded, quiet spot on the beach where we went. When you get off the tender go down towards the beach and hand a right, go past the water slide and keep going toward barefoot beach. There are hammocks, and some little gazebos down there at that end of the island and I dont think too many people know about it. All of the families with kids and the activities are at the other end of the island. There was also a wonderful breeze both times I have been to this area ( one was 2 years ago) which didnt seem to exist over by the barbque areas.. it was very hot the day we were there and the breeze felt great. Have fun !!

When did you see stingrays? I've been there are few times and never seen stingrays! :eek:

They were there a month ago and were swimming very close to shore with those wading in the waters. They were around the "play" area.

I too was surprised to see them too but apparantly it is not uncommon this time of the year.

They were there a month ago and were swimming very close to shore with those wading in the waters. They were around the "play" area.

I too was surprised to see them too but apparantly it is not uncommon this time of the year.

We've seen them every time we go to Cococay. They are use to swimmers and don't bother us. Now the sharks are another story.

I almost stepped on one:eek: be careful to shuffle your feet in the sand and seagrass areas, click on "View My Video" for a video Todd took of one:

View My Video

30xaquw.jpg

As you go past this area there are even more secluded areas on toward the point with loungers and tables/umbrellas...just keep walking, it's heaven over there.

2j1o45u.jpg

We've seen them every time we go to Cococay. They are use to swimmers and don't bother us. Now the sharks are another story.

Yes, I totally agree and some were saying that there were sharks, although I assume they were simply sand sharks.

Sand sharks are fairly harmless to humans. if you ever go to a water park that has "swim with the sharks" you'll almost always find a sand shark in that pool. They're pretty small, and like most sharks I've seen; scared to get too close to us. Don't step on one.

Yes, I totally agree and some were saying that there were sharks, although I assume they were simply sand sharks.

I forgot to mention the barracuda we saw there also. Now that would definitely get me out of the water.

Are the water areas around Coco not roped off? I know in Half Moon Cay they were but with rays and sharks, it appears that they aren't?

No they aren't. The waters around certain parts of the island appear to be very shallow. Last time we were there we saw a couple walk out almost out of sight and yet remained in waist deep water.

Are the water areas around Coco not roped off? I know in Half Moon Cay they were but with rays and sharks, it appears that they aren't?

In some places they are, but the rays and sharks just insist on ignoring them:D JK:D

The roped areas are just to keep swimmers safe from the watercraft and deeper areas with currents. Listen, CoCoCay is one of our favorite all time port stops. We would never think of missing it and love the shallows at the north end of the island as in my photos above. It's just harmless sandy bottom with occasional seagrass, lots of huge starfish and an occasional ray, if you look where you are stepping, you'll be fine. The only other problem is with seasonal jellies that do occasionally sting people, but you can either pee on it(old scuba diver's remedy for real) or go all the way back to the first aid station, they just give you a bottle of vinegar to put on it and that does a good job of nuetralizing the sting. Or Take a small bottle of vinegar. These things would never deter us from snorkeling there, it's tooo kool....we have seen lion fish, dinner plate sized starfish, the rays, barracuda (no they really do not bother unless pestered) jellies, all manner of reef fish and even a pink octopus: click on this video:View My Video

23raj3q.jpg

Archived