Carnival - Boo on Customer Service

ganttc

Hi All:

Had to cancel a sailing due to the death of my Mom last month. Fully understand cancellation penalties and totally cool with the fact that we canceled less than 30 days prior to scheduled sailing. (We paid about $2400 in penalties).

My ire comes from trying to get an invoice showing the cancellation charges. Carnival is charging $20 per booking to generate a "cancellation letter". It gets better. You can't just give your CC number over the phone. Nope, authorization letter, copy of front/back of CC, etc. Total process took almost an hour with transfer to 3 agents and LOTS of hold time.

You know, it really ISN'T the $20. It is the principle of the matter. Charge me $20 more in cancellation fees on the front end and then help me out if I need it on the back end.

Everyone I spoke with was polite and nice, but the policy STINKS.

Hope someone from Carnival will read this and take note. I'm a repeat Seabourn client and I'm not happy they are under the same umbrella.

Hi All:

Had to cancel a sailing due to the death of my Mom last month. Fully understand cancellation penalties and totally cool with the fact that we canceled less than 30 days prior to scheduled sailing. (We paid about $2400 in penalties).

My ire comes from trying to get an invoice showing the cancellation charges. Carnival is charging $20 per booking to generate a "cancellation letter". It gets better. You can't just give your CC number over the phone. Nope, authorization letter, copy of front/back of CC, etc. Total process took almost an hour with transfer to 3 agents and LOTS of hold time.

You know, it really ISN'T the $20. It is the principle of the matter. Charge me $20 more in cancellation fees on the front end and then help me out if I need it on the back end.

Hope someone from Carnival will read this and take note. I'm a repeat Seabourn client and I'm not happy they are under the same umbrella.

If you and I were hanging on the other board (SD) we would not have this problems. (How did Mr. Avery find this board, I thought that I was the only SD traitor.)

Had to cancel a sailing due to the death of my Mom last month.

So sorry to hear about your loss. Never an easy thing, at any time, to deal with.

. . . It gets better. You can't just give your CC number over the phone. Nope, authorization letter, copy of front/back of CC, etc. Total process took almost an hour with transfer to 3 agents and LOTS of hold time.

Eeek. I'm going to hope that Carnival Cruise Lines is where they are supposed to be within PCI Compliance.

Sorry to hear of the loss of your mother, very sad time for your family, Im sure.

Carnivals policy to charge for an invoice--Crummy, I agree. Its an invoice, a reciept, they should generate it anyway, to show what was paid, like any other reciept...

~ You mentioned that everyone was nice and polite and that it was the 'policy' that you took exception to....so really your tread title is a bit misleading....sounds like the "customer service" (that is the service/attuitude/interaction with the reps--all 3 of them) was ok, just the 'rules' they had to follow are Jacked Up...~

Hi Kandy. Yes, I guess I should have "cooled down" a bit before posting. Everyone I dealt with was indeed nice and polite. It is definitely the policy that is my issue.

Take care, Gantt

Hi SQVOL - You know I've lured Mr. Avery over to the Dark Side - We are going on a Seabourn trip in September together. Also I snagged Carole (http://www.lazyseadreamer.com) and convinced her to join as well. Will be interesting to see how the SeaDream folks take to Seabourn. I missed my May SeaDream Greece trip due to Mom's situation, but a bunch of us are looking at a Caribbean on one of our little blue boats in late Fall or Early Winter time frame. Why don't you join us!?!

Hi All:

Such as this is why we ALWAYS buy insurance! Had to cancel once because of DH's heart attack. Got every penny of our money back. :D

Sorry about the loss of your Mom and your money. Did you ask for a future sailing? Sometimes they will let you do that. We did shortly after

9-11, booked another cruise when we were in the full penalty period. I think there is a time frame. :confused: Insurance no good there because if the ship sails, you pay. :rolleyes:

Luv's Crusin'

Thanks Luv's Cruisin'.

I did not ask for a refund or future cruise. I'm okay with the penalty and understood the risks when I didn't buy insurance from Carnival. The only thing I want is an invoice!

Take care,

Gantt

Hi SQVOL - You know I've lured Mr. Avery over to the Dark Side - We are going on a Seabourn trip in September together. Also I snagged Carole (www.lazyseadreamer.com) and convinced her to join as well. Will be interesting to see how the SeaDream folks take to Seabourn. I missed my May SeaDream Greece trip due to Mom's situation, but a bunch of us are looking at a Caribbean on one of our little blue boats in late Fall or Early Winter time frame. Why don't you join us!?!

I would love to but FT is doing the crossing, and we have two weeks booked next summer Istanbul - Athens - Venice on little blue boat II.

Hi MCC.

I am actually a tour operator so have IATA and CLIA numbers.

There were 3 bookings made. 1 via my agency (although we don't normally book cruises) and 2 direct with Carnival made by my Mom's gentleman friend. I did receive an invoice on the booking made from here. There was no invoice on the direct booking. Hence I interviened on my Mom's gentleman friend's behalf. He is 90 years old, and was shaken when told he had to copy/scan credit card/driver's license etc. I didn't believe him, but alas he was correct.

So, the procedure exists to send out the notice. In this day of electronic documents, I was shocked that the first person I spoke with did not have the ability to hit a single button and send me an invoice via email (our systems here do that and we are just a little tiny company). THis cannot be a profit center for Carnival. I've had 2 additional emails from 2 different people today to get this done. AND - I still have no invoice 24 hours later.

To me, beyond belief that requesting a receipt for money paid would be considered "not the norm".

Rgds,

Gantt

Hi Kandy. Yes, I guess I should have "cooled down" a bit before posting. Everyone I dealt with was indeed nice and polite. It is definitely the policy that is my issue.

Take care, Gantt

;)

And No way would I be sending a picture of my CC to them. They can take a payment over the phone and not process this>?

Kandy - Seems if there is no copy of CC - No Invoice will be generated. No arguments accepted. I did send a copy of my card, but alerted AX to the issue and will keep an eye on my account for the near term. I've now dealt with 5 people in last 2 days to get an invoice - but wait - still haven't received it. Almost turning comical now.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out!

Archived