My Recent Seabourn Pride Cruise

patinwv

We recently returned from an 11 day cruise on the Pride to Asia. We had a great time and our review is at http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=69413. Our opinion is subjective and your experiences will be different. But if your profile as a cruiser is similar, it might help in the decision process when you are deciding between cruise lines. On the assumption someone from Seabourn reads these threads in order to improve their product I have included some suggestions for improvement that would change our mind about future cruises on Seabourn.

Suggestions:

1. Before each country a class in language phrases would be useful. Such as "How much is it?" "Hello" "Too much money". One shuttle bus guide did this but if we had had a class with hand-outs it would have been a better buying experience.

2. Improve the waiters ability to spot the need for coffee re-fills (they manage wine so what’s up with coffee?).

3. Upgrade the wine offerings because for us that is a deal breaker on a return cruise. When most wines come from Chile and Argentina, and I recognize the labels from the shelf at my local Krogers, then you know you I haven't gotten a luxury experience.

4. Stop the food short-cuts—do it right the first time. Serve real food (not formed and battered French fries, watery soups, and generic sauces).

5.Taste the food before serving as many offerings were bland and unseasoned (including bread that needed salt) and fruit that was bitter.

6. Fewer nights requiring a jacket and slacks.

7. Give correct WIFI instructions for passengers with Macs on how to log onto the network. This wastes my time and I'm in the field.

8. Carry wines in $30-$50 category for purchase as most wines were too expensive for nightly purchase (think Far Niente at $92 as ridiculous for nightly purchase).

9. Carry turkey/chicken sausage for those that keep Kosher

10. Maple syrup should be used in the dining room not imitation/low quality stuff that screams cheap.

11. Offer a lecture for national dress for each port not just kimonos.

12. Do team trivia in the afternoon after folks return rather than in the middle of the day.

13. Do an end of cruise review that allows for thoughtful comments that staff can use to improve the experience rather than a rating an 2 small lines. That says something about your interest in customer comments.

14. Get serious about sanitation. Brushing crumbs off tables is disgusting. All you need is one outbreak.

Some Kudos!

Great sommelier (Lena), cabin attendant (Adrienn), shore excursion staff

Aya the boarding guide was great in Kobe!

Rob Warne was an excellent choice of speaker and provided great lectures.

Singing group was great and cruise director and staff were outstanding

Thanks for the review. The only comment I can make is that if you really keep kosher what are you doing on a cruise? Chicken and turkey sausage is not kosher. You couldn't really eat off a plate or fork if you were kosher. Either one is or one isn't. It's like being slightly pregnant.

You are correct but many Reform Jews interpret for themselves how they apply the Kosher rules. We don't eat pork. Most restaurants now carry turkey/chicken sausage. In fact at breakfast we were told that they had the turkey sausage and then substituted a beef sausage that turned out to be a hot dog. It didn't quite work with the blueberry pancakes :)

I suppose everyone has their own opinions, but IMHO, I thought the food on my Seabourn Spirit cruise earlier this year was excellent! I am not a dessert eater, but after one bite, I actually wanted to lick the plate with their exquisite selections of sweets. The variety and presentation of all the food was superb. We absolutely loved the unique french fries, and I hope they will always offer them at lunch. I agree with the comments on the upgraded wine packages being expensive, but felt most complimentary selections were adequate for table wine. We were given REAL maple service with our breakfast in individual containers. The bread was great and the signature bread sticks even better. And a gentleman wearing a jacket at night is appropriate for luxury cruising. Just goes to show that the world is made of up different people with different tastes, but I never heard anyone on our ship do anything but praise the chef's team. By the way, I wash my hands before going to the dining room and it would not be anyone's business to tell me to do anything further in public. New tablecloths were put on our tables between diners, so there was no problem there either.

It is nice to hear SOMETHING negative. All I have been reading is too good to be true about Seabourn and the food ... you know there are days when someone is not 100% ... so, the chef got up on the wrong side of the bed. IT HAPPENS ... a cook fails to add salt to something ... add it yourself. Did you really need to eat that dessert? OR, did all that cheap wine so distort your taste buds that you were not able to really distinguish what was good or bad? For me ... $6.00 to $8.00 ... I pay less for wine at my Kroger, but I do buy it in lots of 6 bottles (boxes) at a time so as to get the 10% discount ... AND, I buy it on Tuesdays, which adds an additional 5% discount for those of us that are over the age of 55! I am sure that the table wine they will be serving on my up-coming cruise will be outstanding (to me anyway!)

3. Upgrade the wine offerings because for us that is a deal breaker on a return cruise. When most wines come from Chile and Argentina, and I recognize the labels from the shelf at my local Krogers, then you know you I haven't gotten a luxury experience.

Do not underestimate your local Krogers!!!

Six years ago, we were visiting friends in Richmond, VA. They were having a cookout and inviting neighbors in. I offered to buy the wine and she directed me to a nearby Krogers. I looked around and took a look at their fancy wine section with a locked cabinet. My eyes popped out of my head and I nearly had a heart attack when I saw six bottles of Grange at $110 a bottle. I promptly found the person who could unlock the case and asked how come they had such an expensive wine there. He said someone had placed a special order and then decided not to buy it, so they were cutting down the price to get rid of it since no one had bought them in about six months. He also said that they gave a 10% discount for a mixed case. I added six more bottles (chianti, I think) for the barbecue and bought all six. After all, what are credit cards for?

No, I did not tell the hostess, all six bottles of Grange came home with us. We have had a couple and they were heavenly.

Ever since then, whenever I go to my local Krogers, I obsessively look in their fancy wine section hoping for another miracle.

Did you utilize the gym? We have been warned that the facilities on Pride are limited. Can you provide any observations?

We were on Pride just after the drydock this February. The Gym is small, but in my opinion perfectly formed. I went almost every day, in the late afternoon. At most there were two or three other passenges there at the time.

The equipment is new-ish and well maintained.

There are plenty of treadmills etc, and some good weight machines as well as a smattering of free weights.

It was a perfect venue for a holiday workout regime!

Enjoy!

Steve.

We were on Pride just after the drydock this February. The Gym is small, but in my opinion perfectly formed. I went almost every day, in the late afternoon. At most there were two or three other passenges there at the time.

The equipment is new-ish and well maintained.

There are plenty of treadmills etc, and some good weight machines as well as a smattering of free weights.

Steve.

You mention treadmills etc, do you happen to recall if any of the machines was an 'elliptical', where the motion is like x-country skiing (or running in mid-air it sometimes feels like). Treadmills kill my knees so if there's no elliptical, I may just not take the kit with me.

Thanks if you do remember.

We recently returned from an 11 day cruise on the Pride to Asia. We had a great time and our review is at http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=69413.

7. Give correct WIFI instructions for passengers with Macs on how to log onto the network. This wastes my time and I'm in the field.

Oh dear .. we're going in 4 weeks .. actually perhaps it's good to have a less than stellar review of the ship so we can adjust expectations a bit and hopefully be surprised. Thanks for writing the review.

One question on the above, I'm a mac user (also in the field) and I'm going to need it to be working on board. Can you elaborate on the 'requires direct IP address to connect' comment you made in your review please. What exactly did you have to do, use a static IP address (ie no DHCP and do you still have the magic address on your mac) or did the WiFi not work at all for Macs and you had to go stick an ethernet cable in it (in which case I won't bring my iPad).

Thanks in advance - here's fine or private mail if you prefer (rols@rols.org).

Roland

You mention treadmills etc, do you happen to recall if any of the machines was an 'elliptical', where the motion is like x-country skiing (or running in mid-air it sometimes feels like). Treadmills kill my knees so if there's no elliptical, I may just not take the kit with me.

Thanks if you do remember.

Sorry, I don't remember if there was an elliptical machine. My guess would be 'no'. The head height in the gym isn't great. (you would have to watch it on the treadmills if you were over 6ft).

There were several stationary bikes, though.

Cheers,

Steve.

How bad was the smoking? I read a few recent reviews that said since the Observation Lounge was so small, a few smokers in their section caused issues for non smokers in their section in the Lounge. What about smoking and cigars on decks and in cabins?

We a taking Pride in about a month to Asia, and are hoping for at least one day when the sports deck is available, and we can swim and waterski..did they do it on your trip?

I like several of your suggestions, Patinwv. The idea of a basic language program and one on local customs and dress could easily be done and placed on the rotating television program. General port and tour information was provided that way on the Odyssey and I found it less helpful than when the Tour Consultants were there in person for questions.

Thank you for your review.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=69413

We have just made a reservation for the Pride for 5 weeks in October for Asia.

The reason for the choice to try Seabourn was it's recent discounts and reputation but had concerns that the discounts might be reflected in a reduction of food and wine quality. We also have sailed on Crystal, Regent, Silverseas and in the past the Sagafjord, among others.

We don't mind lack of entertainment but expect somewhat similar quality in food and serviceable wine since I don't drink much hard alcohol.

I not sure what Seabourn will gain if the new passengers they attract through the discounts, will not return due to cutbacks in food and wine service expected on a Luxury cruiseline.

Did you utilize the gym? We have been warned that the facilities on Pride are limited. Can you provide any observations?

We use the fitness center on all of our cruises. Yes, the center will be smaller than other ships because the ship carries far less passengers than most other ships but it had a good variety of equipment. I think my challenge is that I am slightly less than 6 feet and when I run on the treadmill I feel as if I am very close to hitting the ceiling. But I never did hit the ceiling and there was more than enough equipment to keep me happy and again I workout on most days.

Keith

I did not see the sport deck used but we had monsoon style rains and heavy fog for the majority of the trip. We're both sensitive to smoking and did not have any issues with smoking. The outdoor Sky Bar allows it so in the evening we ordered a drink and moved away as all the tables filled up with at least one smoker at each table. The Constellation lounge also allowed smoking and we just avoided the area. We seldom smelled smoke in the cabin hallways. I had to go to the reception desk in order for them to type in a URL that referenced the IP address (a different one than the one listed on all the printed and online material). The receptionist commented that they know Macs and Dells have an issue with logging in. Once bookmarked it worked. Reception was very good.

I do think cutbacks due to the poor economic climate were responsible for the quality issues along with a corporate (Carnival) interpretation of luxury. The best way to improve a product is to get feedback that pinpoints the deficiencies and then to create a program that trains staff in delivering that standard 99.999% of the time.

We use the fitness center on all of our cruises. Yes, the center will be smaller than other ships because the ship carries far less passengers than most other ships but it had a good variety of equipment. I think my challenge is that I am slightly less than 6 feet and when I run on the treadmill I feel as if I am very close to hitting the ceiling. But I never did hit the ceiling and there was more than enough equipment to keep me happy and again I workout on most days.

Keith

Funny, my recollection is that on Legend, the gym was more commodious than on Odyssey. Not spa, mind you, but just in terms of equipment. I have ancient knees, though the rest of me is in decent shape through other cardio and weight training.

I also agree with TYFH, that the occasional critical comment restores balance. I think it is fair to say that the mdr wines can be uneven. And I applaud the idea of a language course. (Mi espanol es muy malo.) I also wonder if some of the passengers who have interesting backgrounds would be inclined to share? What's it like to be a Scotland Yard Super, or a large animal vet, or farm 10,000 acres, or ranch 3,000 head, or be an MD under National Health, or--well, you can nominate subject/career from just about anywhere?

Funny, my recollection is that on Legend, the gym was more commodious than on Odyssey. Not spa, mind you, but just in terms of equipment. I have ancient knees, though the rest of me is in decent shape through other cardio and weight training.

I also agree with TYFH, that the occasional critical comment restores balance. I think it is fair to say that the mdr wines can be uneven. And I applaud the idea of a language course. (Mi espanol es muy malo.) I also wonder if some of the passengers who have interesting backgrounds would be inclined to share? What's it like to be a Scotland Yard Super, or a large animal vet, or farm 10,000 acres, or ranch 3,000 head, or be an MD under National Health, or--well, you can nominate subject/career from just about anywhere?

For each lecture that a passenger gives, credit towards the more expensive wine could be given in the MDR ... "Just kidding...."

I do worry about the MAJOR discounting of cruise fares, not just with Seabourn, but with all cruise lines ... you have to make your money somewhere ... and if you can't make it on the front end, you are going to cut good and services. Will we really miss that extra crew member? Flank and skirt steak can be quite good if processed properly and they are MUCH less then NY Sirloin. I am in the Hospitality industry and we are getting less for our sleeping rooms than last year ... but we also have less staff that take care of those same rooms ... SO, the profit is the same or close ... the service is less. I am sure there is some of this happening on Seabourn ... They have a % they have to meet. BUT, my pallet is easily pleased, and I drink bourbon, so the wine thing is no big deal. AND, to be truthful, if it were not for the discounting ... I would not be sailing with Seabourn. "Thanks for the deal!"

tyfh, I actually think offering a bottle of really nice wine as an honorarium is actually the kind of thing SB might respond to.(Of course, if you volunteer to talk about forensic accounting and theyb turn you down, you might be insulted,)

Perhaps we could nominate Host Dan to pinch the SB execs and see how they respond. It is true that we all cruise at least partially for relaxation. And maybe career anonymity is part of that. But talking about something you really love to people who are interested might be a great lure. It would also be an interesting differentiation for SB from SS.

I too drink bourbon. The barman in the Observation lounge on Odyssey made the best bourbon sours I've ever had. No Knob Creek though. Had to "make do" with Black Jack.

I think the discounting is probably not as savage as you might at first think. Aren't the initial fares set so that the 2-for-1 50%-off is pre-calculated? Before you say no, just look at the "free air"" which isn't free at all. And certainly the free drinks are calculated within the fare structure. No tipping--my guess is that most CCers do tip, to the crew fund or individually.

I actually think it would be fascinating to see which cruise line next launches a triplet-sized ship. Easy for me to speculate, since I don't know beans about maritime architecture, ship costs, or break even points for pasenger loads. And I wonder, as a percentage of capacity, do the triplets and SSers of equivalence have higher load factors than the Sojourn/Odyssey/Quest group and comparable SS vessels. Maybe some of our learned colleagues know the answers.

tyfh, I actually think offering a bottle of really nice wine as an honorarium is actually the kind of thing SB might respond to.(Of course, if you volunteer to talk about forensic accounting and theyb turn you down, you might be insulted,)

Perhaps we could nominate Host Dan to pinch the SB execs and see how they respond. It is true that we all cruise at least partially for relaxation. And maybe career anonymity is part of that. But talking about something you really love to people who are interested might be a great lure. It would also be an interesting differentiation for SB from SS.

I too drink bourbon. The barman in the Observation lounge on Odyssey made the best bourbon sours I've ever had. No Knob Creek though. Had to "make do" with Black Jack.

I think the discounting is probably not as savage as you might at first think. Aren't the initial fares set so that the 2-for-1 50%-off is pre-calculated? Before you say no, just look at the "free air"" which isn't free at all. And certainly the free drinks are calculated within the fare structure. No tipping--my guess is that most CCers do tip, to the crew fund or individually.

I actually think it would be fascinating to see which cruise line next launches a triplet-sized ship. Easy for me to speculate, since I don't know beans about maritime architecture, ship costs, or break even points for pasenger loads. And I wonder, as a percentage of capacity, do the triplets and SSers of equivalence have higher load factors than the Sojourn/Odyssey/Quest group and comparable SS vessels. Maybe some of our learned colleagues know the answers.

I think that you will see a major shake-up in the cruise industry in the next few years. They have overbuilt, much like the hotel industry in this country. I was thinking about the perk of buying 100 shares of Carnival so as to claim the stock-holder credit, but I believe the stock has a good deal more to loose before it will go back up again.

I am all about the wine thought ... I am a guest speaker at VA TECH twice a year ... do you think that anyone would be interested in hearing about how to save money on your daughter's wedding? As a F&B guy that has 35 years of hands on experience ... I'll do it for free! Ask Dan ... I'll bite if asked:o!

tyfh, I tend to be interested in everything I don't know about. And as my wife is quick to point out, that gives me a really wide range of interests. Sure, I'd be interested in where hotels make their money, and also where cruise lines make their money. I know--or think I know-- that the really big lines project break even or a slight loss on the cabin fares, and derive profits from alcohol, specialty restaurants, casino operations--flat fee or percentage, I wonder?--shore excursions, logoed merchandise, what am I forgetting? Spa is percentage override or flat fee? I don't think you're likely to find an on board lecture on how your hosts make their money. But I'm sure somebody who reads this probably knows.

Archived