Vantage River Cruising Roll Call- any destinations

robthens

We are seriously considering this cruise for next September and very interested in anyone who has done it on Vantage. I hope you will write a trip report. Does anyone know if wine is included at dinner and if not, can you purchase it in the ports for use on the ship?

Nancy

I beleive wine is included with every dinner, as well as some "special" events where they will have wine or beer tasting included. We researched every European river cruise company and found that Vantage gives the most bang for the buck, which is why 8 of us just signed up for Aug. 14, 2011 from Budapest to Amsterdam. Can't wait!

Nice to see so many CC posters planning on this trip. We tried for months before our trip in July to find other cruisers and were never successful. I did get lots of valuable information on this board about river cruising in general. We were on the River Explorer going from Amsterdam to Budapest. We have been on quite a few ocean cruises but this was our first experience on the river. We were very happy with our choice of Vantage. I didn't write a formal trip review, but I'll be glad to try and answer questions. I also put together a brief slideshow, mainly for family and friends, but it gives a nice quick trip overview. If you're interested you can find it at: http://smilebox.com/playBlog/4d54677a4d5463354f54553d0d0a&blogview=true

Dennis

Vantage Roll Call update

Eastern Europe & Black Sea

npphotog 8-30-2010

velocityguy 10-1-2010

joybug 10-1-2010

nelly2 10-11-2010

Canadian Maritimes rayandjean 10-2010

Danube Odyssey Carhut 11-2-2010

Castles Along the Rhine &Danube

buffetking 9-10-2010

lindypc 11-10-2010

Mental (party of 8) 9-14-2011

CruiseDirections 9-28-2011

Christmas Markits Along the Danube robthens 12-9-2010

Christmas & New Years on Rhine & Danube jayray 12-19-2010

Windmills of Holland & Belgium rayandjean 4-2011

Grand European irwinlr 6-4-2011

French Waterways rayandjean 9-2011

Vantage Roll Call update

npphotog 8-30-2010

velocityguy 10-1-2010

joybug 10-1-2010

nelly2 10-11-2010

buffetking 9-10-2010

lindypc 11-10-2010

Mental (party of 8) 8-14-2011

Grand European irwinler 6-4-2011

Nice to see so many CC posters planning on this trip. We tried for months before our trip in July to find other cruisers and were never successful. I did get lots of valuable information on this board about river cruising in general. We were on the River Explorer going from Amsterdam to Budapest. We have been on quite a few ocean cruises but this was our first experience on the river. We were very happy with our choice of Vantage. I didn't write a formal trip review, but I'll be glad to try and answer questions. I also put together a brief slideshow, mainly for family and friends, but it gives a nice quick trip overview. If you're interested you can find it at: http://smilebox.com/playBlog/4d54677a4d5463354f54553d0d0a&blogview=true

Dennis

Thanks for posting the pictures, they were fabulous! I also was surprised at how good the pictures of meals looked :-). I have now gotten my group up to 12 for the same cruise next year, it sure seems to be a great choice!

Our only complaint with Vantage is the flight schedules. On our previous trip, we had to pay to change our flight to an agreeable schedule. Right now, they show us not arriving in Bucarest until 5:15 p.m. (assuming the flight is on time). That means we won't have "the afternoon at our leisure to explore the town." We'll just have enough time to get to the hotel and check in before supper and welcome meeting. Hopefully between now and next June the schedule will change.

Nancy:(

Our only complaint with Vantage is the flight schedules. On our previous trip, we had to pay to change our flight to an agreeable schedule. Right now, they show us not arriving in Bucarest until 5:15 p.m. (assuming the flight is on time). That means we won't have "the afternoon at our leisure to explore the town." We'll just have enough time to get to the hotel and check in before supper and welcome meeting. Hopefully between now and next June the schedule will change.

Nancy:(

Have you talked with Vantage about changing (wo a charge)

Reminder: if you don't have seat aassignments or don't like your seat assignments , you can call the airline direct. However, we are having to wait until 90 days out before the airline will assign seats.

Seat assignments can change if the airline has "up-dates" or "schedule changes", so we check every 30 days or so to make sure we keep/like our seat assignments.

I would love to fly first class on an international flight......oh well, I'm happy to be taking a trip.

Robthens, did you ever have an idea that 6 weeks after starting the roll call that we would have FIVE :D pages? What a great idea, Thanks again!

And to thunderbird56, really enjoyed the slideshow as I did with Tom's from a few pages ago!

I was hoping my flights would be on Delta (since we're just 2+ hours from Atlanta & that's where I have my miles) but we're going BA. I did just pay $100 pp to move up just one class so we won't have a 3rd seat in our row. This is just on the return flight. We land in AMS at 2:30 so I imagine by the time we get to the boat it will probably be around 4:00 and getting dark (November). Does anyone know of any grocery stores close to the boat where we can load up on water and maybe wine and beer?

velocityguy 10-1-2010

joybug 10-1-2010

nelly2 10-11-2010

You guys have to be so thrilled you are on the count-down

Hope everyone will post reviews. We loved Eastern Europe & Black Sea with Vantage......know you will as well.

rayandjean......we considered the Canadian Maritimes this year. Especially want to hear your feedback. May plan for fall 2011.

velocityguy 10-1-2010

joybug 10-1-2010

nelly2 10-11-2010

You guys have to be so thrilled you are on the count-down

Hope everyone will post reviews. We loved Eastern Europe & Black Sea with Vantage......know you will as well.

rayandjean......we considered the Canadian Maritimes this year. Especially want to hear your feedback. May plan for fall 2011.

It is getting so close and we are getting excited-just hope the leaves wait for us. It's been a hot summer in St Louis and we are definitely looking forward to some cool weather. Doesn't anyone want to join us on our Holland trip in April or the French Waterways in Sept of '11? We have loved all of our Vantage trips and have met the most wonderful friends on each journey. I work a lot of overtime to make these trips happen but consider it very well-spent. Happy trails to all!...Valerie

I don't know who is more excited: me..... or my co-workers, amazed I'm going on an 18 day river cruise adventure on the Danube. Hee heeee.

On my last day of work, how to say goodbye??

Toodle-loo

Later-patater

"It's been real"

"How sweet it is!!!" (a la the late great Jackie Gleason)

"Don't work too hard"

Later Alligator

Bye-now

"Hold down the fort"

Or my favorite. "I'm gonna miss you guys.....very little."

Like someone famous once said "parting is such sweet sorrow."

Only 6 days to go....then it's off to Budapest.

Cheers,

Dan

Buffetking you are REALLY on the count down. Sorry I left you off the count down list. We want to hear all about your trip when you return.

Vantage Roll Call update

npphotog 8-30-2010

velocityguy 10-1-2010

joybug 10-1-2010

nelly2 10-11-2010

buffetking 9-10-2010

lindypc 11-10-2010

Does anyone know of any grocery stores close to the boat where we can load up on water and maybe wine and beer?

If your dock is near where ours was when we took this trip a couple of years ago, the best place to get stuff is in the CENTRAAL STATION. The train station. There are 7-11 type stores inside with water, beer, wine etc.

Al

Vantage Roll Call update

Egypt fromday2 11-28-2010

npphotog 8-30-2010 sailed

velocityguy 10-1-2010

joybug 10-1-2010

nelly2 10-11-2010

buffetking 9-10-2010

lindypc 11-10-2010

Based on a Cruise Critic comment, is recently researched Vantage's Russian River Cruise. I really like what I read on their website. Their prices are comparable to Grand Circle. AMA is slightly cheaper, but Vanage gives you hotels in Moscow and Petersberg, so you don't have to fight the heavy traffic on the tours.

I am still considering Grand Circle, but they get negative comments on refunding after cancellations, even with trip insurance.

Those of you who have taken Vantage and Grand Circle, I would be interested in your comparisons.

Also, is Vantage reliable on refunding?

The bargain Russian cruises are still cheaper through allRussia or Viking, but I don't want to take a shower next to my toilet.

Based on a Cruise Critic comment, is recently researched Vantage's Russian River Cruise. I really like what I read on their website. Their prices are comparable to Grand Circle. AMA is slightly cheaper, but Vanage gives you hotels in Moscow and Petersberg, so you don't have to fight the heavy traffic on the tours.

I am still considering Grand Circle, but they get negative comments on refunding after cancellations, even with trip insurance.

Those of you who have taken Vantage and Grand Circle, I would be interested in your comparisons.

The bargain Russian cruises are still cheaper through allRussia or Viking, but I don't want to take a shower next to my toilet.

Last year @ this time we were on our Vantage Russian river cruise.

Sorry, can't compare with Grand Circle; however, can say we pick Vantage over GC because their pricing normally include the majority of the tours and the hotels they use are rated higher and are more centrally located.

Now, lets talk about the shower/toilet on the Vantage Russian river cruise.LOL It is a one room deal. The room can be divided by the shower curtain (semi-circle). The shower head comes out of the sink. Toilet and shelves above the toilet stay completely dry. There is a large mat on the

floor that is similar to an outdoor mat that keeps your feet dry and allows the water to drain. I was quite skeptical before we went regarding this, but really thought it worked great (just like DH has predicted). A lot more space to shower than the typical cruise shower "stall".

If you get a letter from Vantage with "return service requested" that also says "help yourself to a nice reward inside", it has a $1.00 bill enclosed.

Normally we pitch most of the ads in the trash unopened (we get at least 2 a day).

Now, I need to decide how I'm going to spend the $1.00.

Vantage and Grand Circle are two separate companies owned by two brothers and are very similar. Vantage is the more upscale with much more included and better hotel locations. It also tends to have more experienced program managers. We have traveled with Vantage on two cruises.

:)Vantage has a different Russian ship for 2011 so any comparisons to the former ships are no longer valid. The Tolstoy is not new but much better than the standard Russian river boats. I've heard the bathrooms are much better. (Viking has also upgraded several of their ships recently.)

As far as the insurance issue goes I always purchase my own independent insurance to avoid any refund issues with a tour company. Check out InsureMyTrip.com for quotes from many companies and choose the one that fits your needs. (Many cruise operators give vouchers and not full refunds. Read the fine print carefully!) I cancelled a cruise 4 days out and got a full refund from my Access America policy which I purchased on line. It took longer to get the medical report than to get the refund.

I am curious as to the comfort of the fold down bed on Vantage travel. The picture shown in the catalogue shows two fold down beds, and the mattresses look rather thin - not sure if this is correct. It may be that the picture is showing the beds made up as a sitting area. Has anyone used these and were they comfortable?

Thanks in advance.

Helen

Archived