Vantage River Cruising Roll Call- any destinations

robthens

I get deluged with literature from Vantage but I'm always suspicious of their payment policies and preferences for cash. We like to use credit cards to get our rewards + security of being able to do a chargeback. I had researched them and found several BBB complaints. It seems from reading these posts that everyone is fairly happy with them. Can anyone reassure me about their payment policies?

Thanks so much

Our upcomming trip will be our 7th with Vantage. Have been using them since 2001. They do an outstanding job (IMHO)

The cash "option" as the previous post stated offers a nice discount.

We have used credit cards as well as cash option.

We booked our first Vantage cruise for next September, our cousin had a wonderful cruise with Vantage so we thought we would give them a try. Their price is pretty inclusive when you compare with the market. Paying in cash is an economic advantage for them, no credit card fees, they can use your money right away but they do give a pretty good discount so I think it evens out. Credit cards usually only protect you for 90 days from date of charge so you could still have a problem with refunds. The best thing you can do to protect yourself is get a good outside Travel Insurance Policy. Vantage charges an outrageous amount for insurance, we got great coverage that includes vendor default from my American Express card.

Nancy

I paid for mine with a credit card (gotta get those skymiles;))--you have to do it on the phone, though, not online.

And Buffetking, I ESPECIALLY am interested in your report as we are taking the same sailing on 11/10. Hope you had a blast!

I paid for mine with a credit card (gotta get those skymiles;))--you have to do it on the phone, though, not online.

And Buffetking, I ESPECIALLY am interested in your report as we are taking the same sailing on 11/10. Hope you had a blast!

I'm with you Lindy, I have always used my credit card for large purchases for two reasons: 1. I have some protection if the company goes belly-up from my credit company and 2. I get free clothes with my LLBean card! :D

I've NEVER had a problem paying Vantage with my credit card, despite their offers of discounts if I pay cash, up front....which I just don't do, but they've never been annoying about it. I consider them very reputable and have no reservations recommending them.

Got our documents for our river crise today. Almost thought we would have to cancel, had a minor car accident this weekend while out of town in Kansas City. Dark/rainy and I turned too soon on a left turn and ended up left of the center dvider which I had to drive across to keep from getting hit by oncoming traffic. Didn't think there was a problem until a mile or so later when the engine siezed up! Towed to a local garage behind our motel (that was lucky) and checked in the morning and the oil pan had a large hole. Decided to go with a used engine and hope he could get it done by the 5th whenwe leave for Dulles. The garage owner even loaned us his personal car to get us throughthe weekend and home to McPherson. I have a 2009 Toyota Avalon with 50,000 miles and he found a 2009 Camry engine with 15,000 so it may all work out. Going to be little more than the cost of this cruise though. (ouch). Decided if we cancelled we would just be losing the cruise money, (we have travel insurance, but not through Vantage) He expects the engine Wednesday and hopefully have it ready by the 5th, if not I guess we will drive the old 94 Ford Ranger p/u and hope for the best. :)

As soon as I got the documents I went online to British Airways to attemt to upgrade to World Traveler Plus for better seat choice, but it said due too our type of booking no type of upgrade was possible. Did change seat assignment for the outbound flight to London to get us in just 2 seats instead of 3 abreast, even though it is in the farthest back row. The ones already assigned were backed up to the toilets which could make for a long night. :) Also found out I had to fill out our passport info online for the airline, I would have thought Vantage would have given them all that. Also found we have to check-in online within 24 hours of the scheduled flight departure.

If nothing else goes to badly wrong I guess we are good to go!! Looking forward to it. Cliff

Got our documents for our river crise today. Almost thought we would have to cancel, had a minor car accident this weekend while out of town in Kansas City.

As soon as I got the documents I went online to British Airways to attemt to upgrade to World Traveler Plus for better seat choice, but it said due too our type of booking no type of upgrade was possible. Did change seat assignment for the outbound flight to London to get us in just 2 seats instead of 3 abreast, even though it is in the farthest back row. The ones already assigned were backed up to the toilets which could make for a long night. :) Also found out I had to fill out our passport info online for the airline, I would have thought Vantage would have given them all that. Also found we have to check-in online within 24 hours of the scheduled flight departure.

If nothing else goes to badly wrong I guess we are good to go!! Looking forward to it. Cliff

Cliff, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the trip will go splendidly and you'll have a fun and healthy time, you certainly deserve it. Y'all have really been through a nightmare, haven't you? Thank God you survived!

I requested the Traveler Plus upgrade for the trip to AMS and Vantage never wrote me back. Thanks for the reminder about filling out my BA info online.

Add two more for the Castles Along the Rhine and Danube cruise Aug 14, 2011. We are first time European cruisers so we took the easy route with Vantage airline reservations and insurance. Hope this won't become an issue down the road. We decided on Vantage because everything was included. This may be our only trip to Europe so we are hoping it will be a good experience.

Add two more for the Castles Along the Rhine and Danube cruise Aug 14, 2011. We are first time European cruisers so we took the easy route with Vantage airline reservations and insurance. Hope this won't become an issue down the road. We decided on Vantage because everything was included. This may be our only trip to Europe so we are hoping it will be a good experience.

I't will be fine. You don't say where you're leaving from or flying too. We went from New York to Budapest on Lufthansa and it was great. If you're landing in Budapest, be prepared to wait for your luggage. when we went they only had one baggage cart and he had to unload the whole plane!!! But everything was wonderful and if it puts your mind at east, Castles was our first trip with Vantage and since then we've traveled with them to Egypt and Jordan; Holland and Belgium and in Feb. we're heading for Costa Rica! And you're going at a perfect time of year....you should have spectacular weather.:)

Is the water 'free' or is there a charge? I was reading the booklet that water was in the cabin however it's in the cabin on all ships--for $3.50. Just wondering if we should buy some when we arrive in Amsterdam?

Hydrokitty: We are flying out of Philadelphia and going to Budapest. We do not have our flight itinerary yet. We are hoping it is fairly direct. I am not a good flyer. I prefer to keep my feet on the ground. Thanks for the heads up about Budapest.

Lindy: We were given bottles of water every time we left the ship and they were free. I don't remember if they left water in our room or not, but if they did, it was free.

Bee: If you're going on Lufthansa you'll change planes in Frankfort and Lufthansa is our favorite airline for Europe. I don't know if they have any direct flights to Budapest, I kind of doubt it. I know Vantage uses Delta a lot as well, but I don't fly them so I don't know what their routing would be. by the time you have dinner and watch the movie hopefully you'll be able to go to sleep for a couple of hours and then before you know it, they're serving breakfast and you're there!

Is the water 'free' or is there a charge? I was reading the booklet that water was in the cabin however it's in the cabin on all ships--for $3.50. Just wondering if we should buy some when we arrive in Amsterdam?

Bottled water in your cabin on the Vantage river cruises is free.

Off topic:

#1 Bought a new carry-on today at TJMax. Very light weight by Lucas.

Might check on the trip home. Black with bright orange accents and roll around wheels. Would be easy to spot @ luggage claim.

#2 Pro-biotics - we take Culturelle starting a few day before we travel and during our trips. That and plenty of "bottled" water helps with we call the "travel flu".

#3 Are you getting excited???????

Vantage Roll Call update

Egypt fromday2 11-28-2010

Eastern Europe & Black Sea

npphotog 8-30-2010........sailed

velocityguy 10-1-2010

joybug 10-1-2010

cvanhorn 10-9-2010......(you & nelly2 are probably on the same cruise)

nelly2 10-11-2010

Canadian Maritimes rayandjean 10-2010

Danube Odyssey Carhut 11-2-2010

Castles Along the Rhine &Danube

buffetking 9-10-2010........sailed

lindypc 11-10-2010

Mental (party of 8) 8-14-2011

bee946 8-14-2011

CruiseDirections9-28-2011

Christmas Markits Along the Danube robthens 12-9-2010

Christmas & New Years on Rhine & Danube jayray 12-19-2010

Windmills of Holland & Belgium rayandjean 4-2011

Grand European irwinler6-4-2011

French Waterways rayandjean9-2011

Portugal River Cruise suec12 10-2011

Let me know if I need to make changes Jackie

We will be leaving on Monday for the Canadian maritimes trip which is a land tour and will be spending 3 nights in St John's Newfoundland on the pre-trip. Looks like we may be dealing with lots of rain but then Mother Nature always delivers surprises wherever you go (or if you don't go anywhere!). I might even hook up another trip while on the trip but it would have to be for 2012-they always enjoy taking my blind deposits and I'm hoping to do the Douro River cruise if they're still offering it then. To all the new Vantage cruisers you've made a good choice and enjoy your journeys. We always love people-watching wherever we go. If you wear a hat from your home area it's amazing how many people will strike up a conversation with you. When we were in Salzburg we met a couple from St Louis who were on their honeymoon. In Oberammergau, we met a large school group of teenagers who went to high school just across the Mississippi from us. Traveling is most definitely the best gift we can give to ourselves and our families...Valerie

• 2 weeks later...

Vantage Roll Call update

Egypt fromday2 11-28-2010

npphotog 8-30-2010........sailed

velocityguy 10-1-2010

joybug 10-1-2010

cvanhorn 10-9-2010......(you & nelly2 are probably on the same cruise)

nelly2 10-11-2010

Danube Odyssey

Carhut 11-2-2010

PCruzer 9-8-2011

buffetking 9-10-2010........sailed

lindypc 11-10-2010

Mental (party of 8) 8-14-2011

bee946 8-14-2011

CruiseDirections9-28-2011

Grand European irwinler6-4-2011

French Waterways rayandjean9-2011

Portugal River Cruise suec12 10-2011

Let me know if I need to make changes Jackie

• 11 months later...
Hope I'm not making everyone nuts with my updates. I did organize this a little better.

Vantage Roll Call update

npphotog 8-30-2010

velocityguy 10-1-2010

joybug 10-1-2010

nelly2 10-11-2010

Danube Odyssey Carhut 11-2-2010

buffetking 9-10-2010

lindypc 11-10-2010

CruiseDirections 9-28-2011

Grand European irwinlr 6-4-2011

French Waterways rayandjean 9-2011

You're doing a great job. Please add us to 11/4/11 sailing of Castles along the Rhine. Hope to meet someone else on this sailing.

Thanks

Big easy

• 4 weeks later...

A party of 4 is going on April 3, 2012 on a pre-cruise trip to Brussels:

Includes : city tour of Brussels

Guided visit of the Peace Palace in the Hague or Manuradam

Tour to Ghent? (optional, Full day)

Experiences or opinions. Please share.

Also on Waterways of Holland Cruise

Tour to Lier in Antwerp Belgium? (optional, afternoon)

Aaismaeer: Worlds Largest Flower Auction (optional morning) of Keukenhof Gardens visit (Excited,Already signed Up)

Thanks Fellow Travelers

Archived