Vantage River Cruising Roll Call- any destinations

robthens

Vantage and Grand Circle are two separate companies owned by two brothers and are very similar. Vantage is the more upscale with much more included and better hotel locations. It also tends to have more experienced program managers. We have traveled with Vantage on two cruises.

:)Vantage has a different Russian ship for 2011 so any comparisons to the former ships are no longer valid. The Tolstoy is not new but much better than the standard Russian river boats. I've heard the bathrooms are much better. (Viking has also upgraded several of their ships recently.)

As far as the insurance issue goes I always purchase my own independent insurance to avoid any refund issues with a tour company. Check out InsureMyTrip.com for quotes from many companies and choose the one that fits your needs. (Many cruise operators give vouchers and not full refunds. Read the fine print carefully!) I cancelled a cruise 4 days out and got a full refund from my Access America policy which I purchased on line. It took longer to get the medical report than to get the refund.

GiannaD,

Thanks for the information. Actually, when you compare Vantage to GCT, Vantage is a little cheaper. Other firms offer the older boats for less, but I like Vantage. I just saw a price on a British company website that was very cheap 1000 euros for cruise only. Uniworld and AMA (vacations to go) have cruises, but I like Vantage or GCT.

I'm hoping many of you will post reviews after your trips.

Also, thanks for the insurance information. I wish we'd seen that earlier, before we paid an arm and a leg for Vantage's insurance.

nmi

Yikes, me too! That insurance was soooo high, plus every time you order an optional tour, the insurance goes up. We'll know next time!

Yikes, me too! That insurance was soooo high, plus every time you order an optional tour, the insurance goes up. We'll know next time!

We also used Vantage's insurance on our 1st trip because we were newbies and didn't know but now we use TravelGuard and are very pleased with the prices and the coverage...Valerie

We got our survey with $1.00 enclosed. This is the second time we've gotten this. We filled out the survey, but doubt we'll be cruise winners, but one can always hope. We keep telling Vantage that if they would send MUCH LESS promotional mail, brochures, and catalogs to us they could lower the cost of the tours. Some days we get several things from them. :eek:

Nancy I.

We arrive in Bucharest on Oct 11th, from Eastern Europe and Black Sea river cruise from Budapest. We had been on the waitlist for the Transylvania 4 day extension, for over 9 months with everyone from Vantage saying high probability of being confirmed.

Yesterday about noon, Scott Corbett called from Vantage telling my wife we taken off the waitlist and by 5 pm we had to decide if we wanted to keep our confirmed flight home on Oct 16th OR they would switch our flight home to Oct 12th.(She was really upset with this 5 hour ultimatum)

(Vantage said they could not get the hotel room is Brasov, so cancelled us)

I can understand not being able to get the hotel room, BUT to call with a 5 hour ultimatum, IS VERY POOR CUSTOMER RELATIONS.

We made the last minute decision to keep our Oct 16th flight, and so far I have made a 3 night hotel reservation in Brasov and one night near Bucharest airport. Also we are looking at the one day tours to Sighisoara from Brasov. If anyone on this site is interested in this tour, please contact me.

This is our first Vantage tour, so hope things go much better from now on.

Comments welcome.

Don & Patty

Our one experience with them is that the tour itself is great, but the arrangements out of Boston left something to be desired. We're not happy with the flight schedule they are showing for us right now; hopefully it will change by next June. We will probably arrange our own flights in the future.

Please be sure to do a review when you return.

Nancy I

We arrive in Bucharest on Oct 11th, from Eastern Europe and Black Sea river cruise from Budapest. We had been on the waitlist for the Transylvania 4 day extension, for over 9 months with everyone from Vantage saying high probability of being confirmed.

Yesterday about noon, Scott Corbett called from Vantage telling my wife we taken off the waitlist and by 5 pm we had to decide if we wanted to keep our confirmed flight home on Oct 16th OR they would switch our flight home to Oct 12th.(She was really upset with this 5 hour ultimatum)

(Vantage said they could not get the hotel room is Brasov, so cancelled us)

I can understand not being able to get the hotel room, BUT to call with a 5 hour ultimatum, IS VERY POOR CUSTOMER RELATIONS.

We made the last minute decision to keep our Oct 16th flight, and so far I have made a 3 night hotel reservation in Brasov and one night near Bucharest airport. Also we are looking at the one day tours to Sighisoara from Brasov. If anyone on this site is interested in this tour, please contact me.

This is our first Vantage tour, so hope things go much better from now on.

Comments welcome.

Don & Patty

So sorry to hear about your issues with Vantage.

I was concerned when you had air arrangements for the extension and was on the "wait list" for the actual extension. I know this trip & extension is very popular and sells out.

I didn't understand why Vantage didn't make your original air arrangements wo the extension. Then, if the extension had become available they could have changed your flight date to include the extension.

Vantage Roll Call update

Egypt fromday2 11-28-2010

Eastern Europe & Black Sea

npphotog 8-30-2010 sailed

velocityguy 10-1-2010

joybug 10-1-2010

cvanhorn 10-9-2010......(you & nelly2 are probably on the same cruise)

nelly2 10-11-2010

Canadian Maritimes rayandjean 10-2010

Danube Odyssey Carhut 11-2-2010

Castles Along the Rhine &Danube

buffetking 9-10-2010

lindypc 11-10-2010

Mental (party of 8) 8-14-2011

CruiseDirections 9-28-2011

Christmas Markits Along the Danube robthens 12-9-2010

Christmas & New Years on Rhine & Danube jayray 12-19-2010

Windmills of Holland & Belgium rayandjean 4-2011

Grand European irwinler 6-4-2011

French Waterways rayandjean 9-2011

One of the things we like about Vantage is that the majority of tours are included in their base price.

Sometimes we like to go off on our own......sometimes it's nice to be "hearded around".

We booked our optional tours today they include:

Prague - Bohemian Rhapsody dinner & boat cruise & Prague Castle tour

Vienna - Dinner & winetasting @ Heurigen Wolff

Has anyone done these? What did you think?

We just returned from the Castles along the Rhine and enjoyed it thoroughly. We also took a Vantage Christmas cruise in 2007. We have stories of both trips on our website

http://www.stevekathytravels.com and will he happy to answer any questions

Steve & Kathy, I think I found your web address on another post--your entire journal with pictures has been printed and is in my notebook. I've read it and re-read it. Thanks so much!

GiannaD,

Thanks for the information. Actually, when you compare Vantage to GCT, Vantage is a little cheaper. Other firms offer the older boats for less, but I like Vantage. I just saw a price on a British company website that was very cheap 1000 euros for cruise only. Uniworld and AMA (vacations to go) have cruises, but I like Vantage or GCT.

I like Vantage for a Russian River Cruise, however recently, I saw a posting for Gate 1 Travel for a RRC (no airfare) for $1300. Amazing price. The cruise was in September, not the best time, but he price is super. Of course the ships are three star, not four star like Vantage.

Is there a computer on the Vantage River boat for public use?

Thanks, Jan

The Vantage boats on the Rhine/Danube (River Navigator and River Odyssey) have two computer stations in the library for passenger use. The boat also had wifi if you brought your own laptop/netbook. When we went in July they gave free access to their wifi network. It worked quite well for the first week and I had good access for sending/receiving e-mails and pictures. Their network crashed at the end of week one and we had no access during week two. We were used to getting a nice 4 page world news roundup each morning under our cabin door, but that stopped also with the loss of internet access.

I am thinking about booking a Vantage river cruise - do they have a referral discount like GCT? If you want me to mention your name please email me and I will be glad to do so. My personal email is SueC1@aol.com - if you are suspicious (I always am!) you can see my other posts on this board - they are numerous - I am not just on here trolling for personal emails. I plan to call Vantage very soon. Hoping to save us both a few pennies!

I'm really glad I found this board - there were some bad reviews on Eopinios of Vantage - obviously there are many happy customers as well!

Well we are on the wait list for this cruise in Oct. 2011 - the rep. assured me the wait list is limited and we could move off it at any time - I'm just not sure I want to wait until just 90 days out for a trip like this to see if we are going, esp. as we will book our own air - we'll see. Anyone here want to post what their experience on the wait list was like? - I see one poster was shut out of an extension wait list. It seems this itinerary is selling well for Vantage, I'd assume because there are few ships doing this particular trip.

I am thinking about booking a Vantage river cruise - do they have a referral discount like GCT? If you want me to mention your name please email me and I will be glad to do so. My personal email is SueC1@aol.com - if you are suspicious (I always am!) you can see my other posts on this board - they are numerous - I am not just on here trolling for personal emails. I plan to call Vantage very soon. Hoping to save us both a few pennies!

I'm really glad I found this board - there were some bad reviews on Eopinios of Vantage - obviously there are many happy customers as well!

Thank you Sue, and I have e-mailed you with my name and e-mail. I believe we will both get $100....you for the trip you book and me for my next trip. You will enjoy Vantage.....I've been with them four times now and I have NEVER had a problem. Only complaint I have is if you e-mail them, don't expect an answer! You'll do better calling them on the phone. I don't know why, but they just don't answer e-mail and I hope they see this!!!! Judy:D

Vantage Roll Call update

Egypt fromday2 11-28-2010

Eastern Europe & Black Sea

npphotog 8-30-2010........sailed

velocityguy 10-1-2010

joybug 10-1-2010

cvanhorn 10-9-2010......(you & nelly2 are probably on the same cruise)

nelly2 10-11-2010

Canadian Maritimes rayandjean 10-2010

Danube Odyssey Carhut 11-2-2010

Castles Along the Rhine &Danube

buffetking 9-10-2010........sailed

lindypc 11-10-2010

Mental (party of 8) 8-14-2011

CruiseDirections 9-28-2011

Christmas Markits Along the Danube robthens 12-9-2010

Christmas & New Years on Rhine & Danube jayray 12-19-2010

Windmills of Holland & Belgium rayandjean 4-2011

Grand European irwinler 6-4-2011

French Waterways rayandjean 9-2011

Portugal River Cruise suec12 10-2011

Let me know if I need to make changes Jackie

I get deluged with literature from Vantage but I'm always suspicious of their payment policies and preferences for cash. We like to use credit cards to get our rewards + security of being able to do a chargeback. I had researched them and found several BBB complaints. It seems from reading these posts that everyone is fairly happy with them. Can anyone reassure me about their payment policies?

Thanks so much

I get deluged with literature from Vantage but I'm always suspicious of their payment policies and preferences for cash. We like to use credit cards to get our rewards + security of being able to do a chargeback. I had researched them and found several BBB complaints. It seems from reading these posts that everyone is fairly happy with them. Can anyone reassure me about their payment policies?

Thanks so much

We booked our first Vantage cruise for next September, our cousin had a wonderful cruise with Vantage so we thought we would give them a try. Their price is pretty inclusive when you compare with the market. Paying in cash is an economic advantage for them, no credit card fees, they can use your money right away but they do give a pretty good discount so I think it evens out. Credit cards usually only protect you for 90 days from date of charge so you could still have a problem with refunds. The best thing you can do to protect yourself is get a good outside Travel Insurance Policy. Vantage charges an outrageous amount for insurance, we got great coverage that includes vendor default from my American Express card.

Nancy

Archived