Is the carribbean my only option?

Hi :)

I'm trying to decide what destination I would like to go to for our second cruise! My DH & I went on the CCL MR 7 day back in 2003 for our honeymoon. I was unimpressed with the MR, so I don't really want to go back there.

I would love to go to either Hawaii or Alaska, since they are both closer to me geographically. I hate having to pay for the flights to port!

So, I was looking at the past daily schedules of the different cruise lines(NCL, CCL, RCL & PCL,) for Hawaii & Alaska. I felt like I was going to fall asleep reading them. The activities sounded so boring(to me.) :( They were all geared toward older people.

The Caribbean cruises sound so much fun, and the activities appealed so much more to my family and I.

So, is the Caribbean my only option? I'm 31 & my DH is 35. Our children will be around 4 and 6 when we would like to cruise.

I'm also considering Disney(would be my first choice,) but I could get a much longer vacation on another cruise line for the same price.

We want to cruise somewhere between 7-15 days.'

Thanks!

Kira

I realize that there will be people of all ages, however, I didn't feel the activities of the longer Alaska/Hawaii cruises reflected that. They didn't seemed to geared toward the younger set or families. Whereas, the activities of the MR and Caribbean cruises seemed "younger" and more fun.

I think you would enjoy the Caribbean...I agree with you for the most part about Mexico ports...I do love Cozumel but otherwise I'd love to go to any of the "Saint" islands, Grand Cayman and Bermuda...Bahamas is OK once but after that I don't think you'll see much new (just my opinion). It sounds like you live on the West Coast? If so, you will have to fly, but you can probably get something out of New Orleans or possibly Mobile??? Not sure where the cruises go out of there.

I personally would love a cruise to Alaska or Hawaii, but my parents went last year and they did say it was geared toward the older crowd...but still...I've heard it's a great experience.

Do you have any specific port activities you like? Maybe if you share those, we can tell you some of the specific Caribbean islands that have good excursions or activities you like.

I realize that there will be people of all ages, however, I didn't feel the activities of the longer Alaska/Hawaii cruises reflected that. They didn't seemed to geared toward the younger set or families. Whereas, the activities of the MR and Caribbean cruises seemed "younger" and more fun.

Seems like you have made up your mind.

Princess does good cruises to Alaska. They had a narutalist on for the entire cruise, he/she gives some talks on wildlife and constantly point out wildlife along the way. when in Glacier Bay, they pick up National Park Rangers who set up posts throughout the ship and take over the naturalist duties for the day. they have a junior ranger program for the kiddies.

Remember, you are going to be on the ship for maybe two sea days, the rest of the time you are in port, so onboard activities aren't that important. EM<

Cruises of 14 days or longer do draw an overall older demographic on all cruiselines no matter where they sail. Those are the people with the time and money to do the longer cruises. That's not to say there won't be people of all ages. but more older than younger. Alaska tends to draw an older demographic overall too but again you will find people of all ages sailing to Alaska. July and early August to Alaska will have more families. Outside of the summer peak vacation sailings to Alaska will have less families. The typical 14 night sailings to Hawaii have a lot of sea days so if one is looking for a lot of activities to keep them occupied and aren't interested in doing a lot of relaxing it may not be a good choice for them.

I do think you have answered your own question as right now the Caribbean sounds like the best option for what you want in your cruise. Although the same priciples apply in the Caribbean in that the 7 night sailings will most likely have the most families and the overall younger demographic and the 14 night sailings will likely have an overall older demographic. Every sailing is going to be a bit different no matter which cruiseline or how many nights your cruise is.

If you want to sail the Caribbean for 14 days with children, you should look at a B2B - two 7 day cruises, usually one to the western Caribbean and one to the eastern Caribbean. I think there are also B2B's out of San Juan, which would give you more islands and fewer sea days.

Archived