Cold and damp

I just came off the Grandeur and my cabin was extremely cold and damp. To demonstrate the, when I would go onto my balcony in the morning with my camera, the lens would be fogged up for about 10 minutes. I had adjusted the thermostat all the way down, to no avail. I spoke to the room steward, but it did not seem to help the moisture. I would have been perfectly content if my cabin was the same temp as the rest of the ship, but it was dramatically colder. Has anyone experienced this problem?

I am not new to RCI as you can tell by my signature. I do admit to being sensitive to cold, but not this bad.

Cameras and binoculars will do that in an airconditioned hotel room, or your own house....it's not the moisture in your cabin, but the moisture OUTSIDE when the cold camera hits the warm, humid air. You should have turned the thermostat UP if you wanted it warmer.

Your cabin was NOT at fault...it's just the nature of humidity vs. air conditioning!

I just came off the Grandeur and my cabin was extremely cold and damp. To demonstrate the, when I would go onto my balcony in the morning with my camera, the lens would be fogged up for about 10 minutes. I had adjusted the thermostat all the way down, to no avail. I spoke to the room steward, but it did not seem to help the moisture. I would have been perfectly content if my cabin was the same temp as the rest of the ship, but it was dramatically colder. Has anyone experienced this problem?

I am not new to RCI as you can tell by my signature. I do admit to being sensitive to cold, but not this bad.

Hi, Murf! Sorry to hear you were uncomfortable in your cabin. I think there was too much humidity in general wherever you were. We've found on several ships that the a/c just doesn't do the job properly. I think you might have had the humidity still causing a problem no matter what your thermostat was set to, but we definitely have had similar problems with our glasses going outside in hot and humid weather.

Did you leave the balcony door open a lot? That might have added to the humidity inside. Usually a cooler air conditioned room does tend to be drier, which is what you were trying to do by turning down the thermostat, right?

I think your a/c wasn't working properly, because they usually remove moisture at the same time they cool the room. If you get another cabin like this ask the room steward to call engineering.

See you in September!!

As I previously said, I did turn UP the thermostat till it could go no further. My travel clock has a thermometer and my room temp never got warmer than 65F. Yes, there were times I did go on my balcony, but I always closed the door. Whenever I leave my own home, which is centrally air conditioned, I never have a problem with my camera. It is the degree of cold that affects the camera. I did not have this problem on the Rhapsody last year when I was crossing the Equator.

I had adjusted the thermostat all the way down, to no avail.

As I previously said, I did turn UP the thermostat till it could go no further.

I think you should read over your original post, you originally said DOWN, and now you're saying 'as I previously said, I did turn up the thermostat' :confused:

As I previously said, I did turn UP the thermostat till it could go no further. My travel clock has a thermometer and my room temp never got warmer than 65F. Yes, there were times I did go on my balcony, but I always closed the door. Whenever I leave my own home, which is centrally air conditioned, I never have a problem with my camera. It is the degree of cold that affects the camera. I did not have this problem on the Rhapsody last year when I was crossing the Equator.

Did you contact guest services to have this repaired? Your cabin steward is not a repairman and can only do so much.

Archived