to hondorner

tropicalkerry2002

Since I have learned SO much from you on this board, I thought I would ask if you have a recommendation for a hotel in Rome.

I have searched this forum, and the ports forum; there are several recommendations, and 2 that I think are mentioned frequently are Hotel Smeraldo and Albergo Cesari, but it's still not a runaway...I found it much easier to narrow my search down to the 2 most recommended for Venice in 2007.

We plan to be in Rome for 3 days before our TA, and want a hotel no more than $300/night ($200 would be great!), close to most of the sites. I believe the two I have mentioned above are close to the Pantheon.

If anyone else reads this and wants to comment on the 2 mentioned, or thinks I simply MUST check out your recommendation, great!

Thanks for your help, Don, and everyone!

Marian

Marian, I was scheduled for a stay in April but missed it due to my little stroke. We tend to stay at less expensive hotels (the Regencia Colon in Barcelona, for example, instead of the Colon which is right in front of it andhas the same management), both from preference (5 star intimidates us) and budget.

I had booked at one hotel in Rome that was offbeat but nicely recommended on TripAdvisor (something like number 24), until I got a recommendation from Colonel Wes about a hotel he had found that was inexpensive, had good ratings, god descriptions and such. I changed my booking, but subsequently had to cancel. He has never stayed there either, I believe, but we are both going to book there for the Marina transAtlantic from Rome to Miami in 16 months (too soon to book there, now. It was a little more expensive in April around 200 Euros if I recall (but that was close to the Easter weekend), and very reasonable in November, around 100 Euros, if I recall correctly.

It's the Hotel Raffaello at Via Urbana 3 in Rome. We booked directly with them, as we usually do at most hotels. When we had to cancel, they couldn't have been more friendly or helpful in emails.

Remember that we have not yet stayed there, but it sounds good enough to make us anticipate it. Thanks, Colonel Wes.

I checked out the two that you mentioned, and also the Navano Gardens Suites which were highly recommended, but there was no availability for any of them for the time I was supposed to be there -- Apparently April is tough in Rome.

While we are on the hotel recommendations, anybody know an airconditioned hotel in Copenhagen? We want to spend several nights and are looking to be more centrally located than the Marriott, which is what everybody is recommending on the Ports of Call/Europe board.

Not sure when you are going to Rome..but a wonderful hotel in even more wonderful location is the Intercontinental De LA Ville Roma

located at the top of the Spanish Steps!

Check their specials & promotions.

InterContinental Hotels & Resorts | DE LA VILLE ROMA | Hotel Overview

I agree.

Best of all - you can get it for $240 for Priority points. Even if you don't have enough points, you can buy up at a rate of 10,000 for $60 = 40,000 points for de la Ville for $ 240. Cheapest room for my dates was 330 Euro!

Can't beat that for an Intercontinental in Rome at the Spanish steps! If you want to know how to do it, I can send you an e mail to your above address.

Paul

While we are on the hotel recommendations, anybody know an airconditioned hotel in Copenhagen? We want to spend several nights and are looking to be more centrally located than the Marriott, which is what everybody is recommending on the Ports of Call/Europe board.

Your best bet (by far) is hotel Square which is on the main square next to Tivoli, city hall and facing Stroget. It is the only hotel in it's category with A/C.

Unless you can score the Marriott for $100 - $150 on Priceline (which many people have). Better hotel, worse location (as you mentioned).

Good luck.

A couple of years ago, we spent several nights at the Albergo del Senato and were very pleased. Great location--literally 100 steps from the Pantheon. Nice rooms, wonderful rooftop bar, very helpful staff (they recommended a couple of great restaurants within a short walk). Currently ranked #10 of all Rome hotels on TripAdvisor.

Don't know if you're looking for a guide, but Claudio Caponera of LimoinRome is terrific, as I'm sure many others on this board can confirm.

We have Albergo del Senato booked for May. We haven't stayed there before but I'm familiar with the location and it's excellent. Aside from Trip Advisor, it's been recommended to us by a few other people that have stayed there.

Since I have learned SO much from you on this board, I thought I would ask if you have a recommendation for a hotel in Rome.

I have searched this forum, and the ports forum; there are several recommendations, and 2 that I think are mentioned frequently are Hotel Smeraldo and Albergo Cesari, but it's still not a runaway...I found it much easier to narrow my search down to the 2 most recommended for Venice in 2007.

We plan to be in Rome for 3 days before our TA, and want a hotel no more than $300/night ($200 would be great!), close to most of the sites. I believe the two I have mentioned above are close to the Pantheon.

If anyone else reads this and wants to comment on the 2 mentioned, or thinks I simply MUST check out your recommendation, great!

Marian

Want something a bit 'diiferent'? Stay in a convent. We stayed in the Casa di Santa Brigida located in Piazza Farnese a stone's throw from most of the sites. Here's the link: http://www.brigidine.org/Brigidine/227/229/Piazza+Farnese.html

Regarding Copenhagen, what about the SAS Raddisson (my spelling), which is diagonally across from the Tivoli Gardens. We stayed there a number of years ago and it was quite nice...even had A/C.

I have searched this forum, and the ports forum; there are several recommendations, and 2 that I think are mentioned frequently are Hotel Smeraldo and Albergo Cesari, but it's still not a runaway...

Marian

Hi, Marian, we spent four nights at the Hotel Smeraldo in October 2006 at the end of a land trip to Italy and returned there last June (2009) for five nights at the end of our Oceania Athens to Rome cruise. I too prefer to save my vacation dollars for food and sightseeing costs rather than hotel costs unless I am on a "resort" vacation, and Smeraldo both times did a great job for us at 130 Euros per night (plus 7 Euros per person for breakfast, including unlimited cappocinos).

There is a small elevator, the place is spotlessly clean, the bathrooms were upgraded/renovated about two years ago, the breakfast, although no eggs, unlimited.

The location right by Campo di'Fiori is superb: a couple of minutes walk from the Largo Argentina transportation hub (great for the crosstown buses from Termini to the Vatican and the tram to Trastevere), less than 10 minutes walk to both the Pantheon and Piazza Navona, 10 minutes walk the other way to the Jewish Ghetto (with its excellent restaurants).

A simply wonderful location for our nightly outdoor dinners and "passiogetta" strolls in this delightful area that I term Old Rome.

BTW, we considered Navona Garden Suites, but my husband prefers a place staffed 24 hours per day. This really came in handy when on our October 2006 trip my husband became ill, and we were directed to a closeby hospital. Also, the front desk booked our dinner reservations at my request at the restaurants I chose.

I definitely prefer this area of Rome to either the Spanish Steps (where we stayed many years ago) or Termini, which is far from the wonderful vibrancy of nighttime Rome.

Your's is another opinion I value highly, and I did know that's where you had stayed, and that you liked it. You have presented an excellent case for it here

( I think you're a lawyer...n'est-ce pas?)

Oui, actually a "recovering attorney" living off of my spouse, who still is practicing corporate law for a living.

Also proud of curing myself of my terrible daily cruisecritic addiction and still checking these boards no more often then every 10 days since returning from our May cruise.:)

Also proud of curing myself of my terrible daily cruisecritic addiction and still checking these boards no more often then every 10 days since returning from our May cruise.:)

But...

Don't you have to do a LOT of catching up when you have been absent for that long a period at a time; or do you just skim through things - pick & choose?

But...

Don't you have to do a LOT of catching up when you have been absent for that long a period at a time; or do you just skim through things - pick & choose?

I seemed to be spending almost two hours a day reading and responding to Oceania and Mediterranean forum threads, although the latter was much easier to follow now that it is broken up into geographic regions, so I focused on Italy, south of France, Athens and Barcelona.

Now I can spend a few hours reading and responding to Oceania threads and the Northern Europe/Baltic forum every 10 days to two weeks. I have gone "cold turkey" off of all of the Mediterranean forums. But, as a fellow history/archaelogy fan, I really miss reading cruisemom42's wonderful informed practical posts on those boards.

Of course, by continuing to follow the Oceania forum, I can still get my fix of hondorner, Jim&Stan (aka Stan&Jim), Brian UK and you.

Archived