Tipping for Room Service?

halbaby

I must confess, before becoming a CC member, I never thought about extra tipping. Wasn't trying to be cheap, just didn't think about it.

However, since then, I always remember to tip.

I do tip extra in Johnny Rockets and places such as this.

I tip room service whatever I feel is warranted at the time.

Do you tip for room service?

Do you tip in the Pizza type restaurant or 24 hour type restauraunt ?

Not talking about the Steak House.

Room service yes. The others are all covered in the standard gratuities or the service charge that you pay for the Steak House.

Would trinkets be OK?

I was thinking about John Deere penlights or my local sport teams keychains. CC posters say the stewards appreciate them.

I am going to be blunt:

NO

Do you want trinkets from your employer instead of cash? Enough said!

I always go to the bank and get $50 in one dollar bills before I cruise. I keep most of my cash in the safe but always leave a few $1's handy in a drwaer for easy room service tipping.

We do the same, always take a $50 bundle of singles. We tip room service a buck per plate usually.

So thats why they like the penlights so much...

Well Im sure they werent going to be rude and say WTH? a light I want/need money. Yes, my 8 yr old would like the light, but even my 12yr old would want the cold cash, and he's not trying to support a family in another country.

I had an omelet every morning on our last cruise, and hubby had one about half the days. We gave each of the omelet guys a $10 on the last day. Our room steward and assistant got about $40 to split. And we gave our main waiter in the dining room a $10 on the night we had our celebration cake.

Well Im sure they werent going to be rude and say WTH? a light I want/need money. Yes, my 8 yr old would like the light, but even my 12yr old would want the cold cash, and he's not trying to support a family in another country.

I think trinkets are ok as long as they are in addition to tips and not in lieu of them.

I had an omelet every morning on our last cruise, and hubby had one about half the days. We gave each of the omelet guys a $10 on the last day. Our room steward and assistant got about $40 to split. And we gave our main waiter in the dining room a $10 on the night we had our celebration cake.

was this on top of the auto tip or in place of?

Just off the Liberty Saturday and I had to almost force room service to take their tips. They would give me my receipt and run for the door. I had to tell them to hold on a few times. Each time I had the bills in my hand. Service was very fast and Nikoli from Russia was excellent.

On the Miracle I brought a ton of singles. The tip they recomend for room service is $1.00 per item. I gave them extra if they brought it in the suite and set it up (most didn't though). I didn't realize they would bring a slip to sign each time - but who cares I have these singles and wanted to tip the guys cash. I would sign the slips with no tip and hand the guy the cash - everytime they would seem very unconfortable about it but take it. The steward told me all tips are pooled from the sail and sign card. This is why any additional tips for your steward or servers should be handed to them or left in your room for them. I think the room service guys were scared someone would see them taking the cash and thats what made them nervous.

I do hope if they pocketed the cash the ship didn't think I wasn't tipping these guys. OH well what can you do? I'm bringing singles again this year for anyone who deserves it. I never tipped the buffet people but usually you take your own stuff. I hear the freedom is serving you now - yuck I want to choose my own stuff but unless they do something really out of the ordinary I will not tip them.

Have a great cruise!!!!

• 4 weeks later...
Would trinkets be OK?

I was thinking about John Deere penlights or my local sport teams keychains. CC posters say the stewards appreciate them.

Make em a CD of you singing.... it'll be a sure hit.

(there are quite a few here who do not get sarcasm, aren't there?)

Archived