transferring from london to dover

I was thinking about using a transfer company for our trip from London to Dover for our ta cruise. The name of the company is called "Dover Cruise Transfer Company". Their quoted price was really low compared to most other quotes that I have received. I was hoping that someone on this board may have used them and would have some info on them such as , good, bad, use them, run like hell, :rolleyes: or something. Any information would be appreciated. Everyone have a good one, Sue.

I would run a mile from this company.

The advertised price of under 30 GBP between London and Dover for a vehicle is probably about the price it would cost in petrol/gas for a vehicle to make this journey.

Sounds like a scam to me.

We had good luck with Adelphia Executive Hire - roughly 165 pounds for 7 of us - if you can find someone else on your cruise. We used them one way.

If you can manage luggage, the train is very easy and reasonable or you could take National Express coach which can be under 30 pounds (as I recall if you find their specials) for four people (2 kids).

There are two train stations - St Pancras and Victoria - St P. has a high speed train that only takes 1 hour 9 minutes.

Thanks for the answers everyone. I guess for the company I asked about I'll just stay away from. Too bad, I would have been tickled pink to have found a company with fares that low. I figured it was too good to be true.:(

Guess I'll just keep looking. I will check out Adelphia and see what their rates are. Trying to avoid the train or bus if possible. With my bad hips and hands I'm afraid I'm not much help with dh on handling luggage. That's why I was looking at private transport.

Everyone have a good one,

Sue

As only another option, I have used the National Express bus, with good results. Currently they are running some "Fun fares" that may be of interest to some?? I just booked my London/Dover transfer for 13 pounds for 2. :)

We just used a company called Smiths for Airports to take us from London (SW1) to Dover. The car arrived early at the hotel and the driver was helpful and courteous. The price was 135 GBP and we'd use them again.

smithsforairports.com

We used Dover Heritage Taxis last month...they charged under 200 GBP total for the eight of us, with all our luggage, in a modern and very comfortable vehicle. Wonderful service, quick e-mail response, and Matt was a terrific driver! I strongly recommend them to anyone.

We actually stopped at Leeds Castle on the way to Dover for a 2-hour visit...we were simply amazed at the beauty of the grounds, and the castle itself was incredible! Worth a visit if you have the time!

Sam

I was thinking about using a transfer company for our trip from London to Dover for our ta cruise. The name of the company is called "Dover Cruise Transfer Company". Their quoted price was really low compared to most other quotes that I have received. I was hoping that someone on this board may have used them and would have some info on them such as , good, bad, use them, run like hell, :rolleyes: or something. Any information would be appreciated. Everyone have a good one, Sue.

Hi - Got back last night form Oceania cruise. We docked in Dover and used airportcruisetransfers to get us from Dover to Heathrow. I cannot recommend them highly enough. I booked with them in the spring and prepaid by credit card. I spoke with Julie from that company who reached me by phone the very next day to confirm everything. I forgot to reconfirm before we left. IN the meantime we decided to leave the ship a bit later because we had a late afternoon flight. I emailed her from the ship and received a confirmation with the new pick-up time within 24 hours. The driver was both prompt and curteous. We have booked another cruise for next year and I expect to use them again, this time round trip fron Heathrow to Dover and back again. We were charged 120 GBP and while I am not sure if that is high or low, I do know that it was much less than Oceania was charging. Hope this helps. Meanwhiloe I am home and trying to adjust to life without getting my flaky pastries served to me at breakfast :(

Ronnie

One further thing I should mention about Dover Heritage Taxis, is that they did not require prepayment or any deposit. Payment is made after the service is rendered. We always choose private tour and transfer operators that don't require deposits...gives us added comfort just in case there are any travel problems.

Sam

From London to Dover, I highly recommend National Express; especially if travelling on the day of the cruise. From talking to various people while it is not official, almost every driver is willing to drop off passengers at the cruise terminal...he puts your baggage in the boot (you don't have to shlep it onto the train)...yes it's a tad longer than the train but so what....if you catch the 0830 bus you're in Dover port at 1100, plenty of time to check in for the cruise.......I know coach trave isn't for everybody but you can't beat the fares...I paid £2 for my trip from London to Dover and £5 for the trip from Dover to London.....it cost more to take a cab over to Victoria coach terminal and you do have to take a taxi from the port in Dover to the bus terminal but on the queue you can usually find somebody going to the same place and share a cab...cost £3...no complaints whatsoever but like I said I understand coach travel isn't for everybody. Just talking in general.

From London to Dover, I highly recommend National Express; especially if travelling on the day of the cruise. From talking to various people while it is not official, almost every driver is willing to drop off passengers at the cruise terminal...he puts your baggage in the boot (you don't have to shlep it onto the train)...yes it's a tad longer than the train but so what....if you catch the 0830 bus you're in Dover port at 1100, plenty of time to check in for the cruise.......I know coach trave isn't for everybody but you can't beat the fares...I paid £2 for my trip from London to Dover and £5 for the trip from Dover to London.....it cost more to take a cab over to Victoria coach terminal and you do have to take a taxi from the port in Dover to the bus terminal but on the queue you can usually find somebody going to the same place and share a cab...cost £3...no complaints whatsoever but like I said I understand coach travel isn't for everybody. Just talking in general.

I do appreciate your information but I think we would have a problem with the taxi from the bus terminal to the port. There is 4 of us, and you figure probably 7-8 suitcases, and our carryon luggage. I'm afraid we wouldn't be able to find a taxi that could take all of us and our stuff also.

Sue

I do appreciate your information but I think we would have a problem with the taxi from the bus terminal to the port. There is 4 of us, and you figure probably 7-8 suitcases, and our carryon luggage. I'm afraid we wouldn't be able to find a taxi that could take all of us and our stuff also.

Sue

Hi Sue,

We were a group of 8, and no problem with Dover Heritage Taxis taking all of us and our luggage in one vehicle. They have a variety of vehicles to cater to specific needs. I recommend you call them with yours, and they will advise how they can service yours.

I hope I don't come across as a spokeperson for Dover Heritage, but as I mentioned earlier, we were extremely happy with their service last month, at a very reasonable price, and I don't mind letting everyone know.

Good luck,

Sam

Hi Sue,

We were a group of 8, and no problem with Dover Heritage Taxis taking all of us and our luggage in one vehicle. They have a variety of vehicles to cater to specific needs. I recommend you call them with yours, and they will advise how they can service yours.

I hope I don't come across as a spokeperson for Dover Heritage, but as I mentioned earlier, we were extremely happy with their service last month, at a very reasonable price, and I don't mind letting everyone know.

Good luck,

Sam

Nothing wrong about being a spokesperson when the service is good.:D

Will give them a call and see what kind of deal they can offer. Again, thanks everyone for all your help. I really do appreciate it.

Sue

Hi

We used Smiths for Airports in May for pre-cruise pickup at Heathrow and transfer to Southampton, and post-cruise return trip to Heathrow. We couldn't have been more pleased with the great service we were given.

Laura, in the office, was always prompt, friendly and professional in answering all my questions and adjusting the reservations as needed. She also "went that extra mile" by checking into possible Isle of Wight tours for us.

The drivers were smartly dressed, also courteous and polite. They were waiting for us both arriving at the airport and later at the cruise port, and volunteered to help all of us (a group of 11) with our luggage. The vehicles were extremely clean and comfortable, and the drivers drove responsibly.

And their rates were very competitive with several others I'd checked on. All in all, a terrific experience from beginning to end.

Bev

• 1 month later...
Hi

We used Smiths for Airports in May for pre-cruise pickup at Heathrow and transfer to Southampton, and post-cruise return trip to Heathrow. We couldn't have been more pleased with the great service we were given.

Laura, in the office, was always prompt, friendly and professional in answering all my questions and adjusting the reservations as needed. She also "went that extra mile" by checking into possible Isle of Wight tours for us.

The drivers were smartly dressed, also courteous and polite. They were waiting for us both arriving at the airport and later at the cruise port, and volunteered to help all of us (a group of 11) with our luggage. The vehicles were extremely clean and comfortable, and the drivers drove responsibly.

And their rates were very competitive with several others I'd checked on. All in all, a terrific experience from beginning to end.

Bev

Bev could not be more accurate in her description of Smith's. We used them for several transfers in July.

Archived