Balcony vs. Mini Suite

I object 2

Greetings everyone. We're new to this site and are enjoying the wealth of information posted here.

We're booking a 14 day cruise to Hawaii on Sapphire Princess in January 2011, but can't decide on cabin type: Caribe deck with a larger balcony or a mini suite (smaller balcony, but more interior room). What's your preference?

The balcony on the mini is still a pretty good size and easily holds 4 chairs and the small table. Depending on where the mini is, the balcony might be completely uncovered. In the mini you also get a bigger bathroom with a tub which is nice. If money is not a big deciding factor, I would go with the mini.

Tim

I personally think you would be happy in either one (I know, that is not much help). If the Sapphire is like many of the other newer Princess ships, the mini suite balconies on the Dolphin deck will be completely uncovered. This may make your decision easier for you if you like a bit of privacy. However, the full bathroom (vs the itsy bitsy shower) in the mini suite may be more appealing than the privacy.

We were lucky enough to book a mini on the Emerald deck, which is fully covered for very little more than a Caribe deck balcony on a ten night cruise, so jumped on it. We did have a mini one other time for a two night cruise as it was actually cheaper than a balcony room....didn't see the big deal but did mention that on a longer cruise, the extra room would be very nice. We sailed with two other couples and all met on one's Caribe deck balcony that seated 6 people comfortably. The mini balcony couldn't do the same but if it is just 2 or even 4 pax, the mini balcony would be perfect. Oh...and don't forget the free glass of champagne :eek:!

For me, the couch in the mini is the kicker. I am not a good sleeper so rather than trying not to disturb my DH when he is trying to sleep, I like to get up and read or watch a little tv...the balcony rooms only have a chair. The couch in the mini will allow me to get up without really bothering him. Now, if they would only put a divider curtain in the rooms, I would have it made.

I think you have to decide how you will be spending your trip. Do you plan on spending a lot of time in your room sitting on the couch watching TV or do you like to sit out doors more? Do you take baths or prefer showers when you are at home? My choice would be the Caribe deck balcony for the larger balcony. We don’t spend much time in our room we like to be on deck overlooking the pool. We prefer showers over baths at home so the tub in the mini suite would be a waste. The only up side to the tube is that it is a larger area to shower than the showers in the other category cabins. I also like that the Caribe deck balconies are only half covered.

We are booked on a 10 day Southern Caribbean on the Emerald Princess in a mini. Love the two TVs, the sitting area, AND, the bathtub, especially the bathtub! For fourteen days, if money wasn't a major factor, I would definitely take the mini.

We just got off the Caribbean Princess where I was in my first balcony room (Caribe Deck) after being having, at least, a mini suite on my prior cruises.

I spent a lot of time comparing the differences between the two. I agree with the above posts about the larger bathroom, especially the tub which allows much more space to put your soap, shampoo, etc. The balcony bathroom was very small. As the joke goes, you could literally sit on toilet, wash half your body in the shower and brush your teeth--all at the same time! :eek:

One thing that surprised me was the closet area was definitely a bit smaller in the balcony room than in the mini suite. Not a huge issue except when the two of us were in that area.

I also like a couch in the mini just to relax and read the patters before turning in or to watch some TV without having to do everything in/on the bed.

Would I book a balcony room again? Sure, if the price differential was significant between a mini and balcony room. Overall, though, I prefer the space of the mini. Just book early if you want one of the 12 coveted balcony minis on the Emerald Deck on the Grand/Crown Class Ships! :)

For me, a balcony cabin is sufficient if I am alone, but I have been wondering if a couch and bigger sitting area would be important while using the cabin with my mom for all of a 12-day cruise. Neither of us drink champagne, take baths, or watch TV on vacations. A bigger balcony on Caribe deck is not important to us. The only reason we would ever want a minisuite is the additional space and couch. Has anyone who slept in both with another adult (not on Caribe or Dolphin deck) felt the extra space alone is important? Is space alone worth $600?

We've stayed in a lot of Inside Staterooms, and also Promenade Rooms, as well as a Mini-Suites. And the big problem with the small amount of space is the fact the DH and I kept bumping into each other. Probably not something you'd care for with your Mother. We really liked the extra space in the mini-suite. Depends on the finances.

For me, a balcony cabin is sufficient if I am alone, but I have been wondering if a couch and bigger sitting area would be important while using the cabin with my mom for all of a 12-day cruise. Neither of us drink champagne, take baths, or watch TV on vacations. A bigger balcony on Caribe deck is not important to us. The only reason we would ever want a minisuite is the additional space and couch. Has anyone who slept in both with another adult (not on Caribe or Dolphin deck) felt the extra space alone is important? Is space alone worth $600?

We always prefer the extra space and larger bathroom that a mini offers. $600 is no biggie for us, comfort is. Perhaps you would be just as comfortable in a OV Oceanview cabin.

On Princess we choose the Mini sutes as the standard balcony is just to small inside.

I would have to agree. If you would like to sit down in your cabin & relax - maybe read or watch a movie, the only place to do that in a balcony cabin is lying on the bed. The bathroom is very small in a balcony cabin.

A mini-suite has a sitting area with couch & chair, a much larger bathroom and closet area, and you will get a no-host mini-bar, welcoming glass of champagne, two TV's, etc - they are about 355 sq feet (including the balcony), vs 235 - 300 sq ft (including balcony) for a balcony cabin, depending on location. I believe the Caribe balconies are a bit larger, hence the difference in square footage.

If you can afford it, try to get a mini-suite on the Emerald deck. The balconies are partially covered and you will LOVE the extra room & larger balcony area.

The Sapphire is a beautiful ship. Our first Princess cruise to Alaska was on the Sapphire and we just loved it!

We opted for a plain old balcony room this trip even though it's a 9 day on the CB.

We could've gotten the mini but the extra $600 was the turning point. As small as the bathroom is in our balcony (I know about it from last summer) it's still not worth the extra $$$ (for us) I'd rather spend that money elsewhere on the ship or in port. A couple of times I used the shower in the spa - it's was muuuuuch bigger and nicer. This trip I'm even closer to the spa on the Rivera deck in the front so I'll be using that venue a little more often this trip.

If I were you - and you can afford it - go for the mini suite - especially for a 14 day to hawaii....sigh - LUCKY YOU!

:)

If you are sailing from LA to HI, It will be cool the 1st two days of sailing. You might not want to sit out on the balcony. I agree the mini-suite will allow you more space to move around. There will be plenty of activities that will keep you busy on this cruise and the sofa in the mini suite is a nice place for you to relax.

because the regular balcony cabin will not really provide much comfortable seating...as previously mentioned...only one chair and a "stool" that you can use at the "desk" (it has no back) so one person is on the one chair and the other person is on the bed or stool...really not comfortable...especially, I would think, for your Mom. And I like to read sometimes in the cabin with the balcony door open to hear and smell the ocean and without the sofa that's not really as enjoyable...IMO ..LuAnn

When my budget allows, I prefer the AD mini-suite on Emerald deck as it's covered and quieter than the minis on Dolphin deck. It's also just one deck up from Promenade so I think it's a convenient location.

Between a mini and a Caribe balcony, I think it's 6 of one, half a dozen of another. I like the larger, half-covered/half-uncovered Caribe balcony but then i also like the extra room in the mini-suite. You can't go wrong either way.

Depends on if you are entertaining friends inside or outside. With the mini you can invite friends in for a glass of wine.

With the Caribe deck Balcony cabin, it is great for sailaways and six could sit out there comfortably.Since we like to entertain at sailaway, we prefer to have the Caribe deck balcony which is larger than most mini suite balconies.:D

Mini sute hands down! And only an AD mini on the Emerald deck will do :D We have this exact cruise booked for February 26 on the Sapphire and booked Cat AD Mini E731, can't wait! Those are the only minis with fully covered balconies, not to mention they are very quiet and the closest balconies to the water which is great for whale and dolphin watching. We also love to have the extra space in the room as you will spend more time in the room than on the balcony, plus the balconies are very large in the minis. The Caribe deck balconies are almost the ssame size and only half covered with a smaller living space.

ON a longer cruise like that one,YOU should get the mini-suite,WE like the minis on the Emerald deck,as they are fully covered,and are generally quiet with very little traffic,hope this helps ya a bit;):p

DH and I opted for a mini on Dolphin over the balcony on Caribe for our last cruise (12 day British Isles) on the Crown. We had a balcony on Caribe for our previous cruise on the Crown. Both cabins were nice, but we preferred the extra room in the cabin versus the extra room on the balcony. We've also got a mini on Dolphin booked on the Sapphire for next spring. I'm glad we'll be won't be at the aft end of the ship this time since there was quite a bit of vibration and noise in the back. (We were in D718).

Shae

go for the mini on dolphin. You will love the balcony. Look straight up at the sky. no roof to block your view. Three times in a dolphin mini has spoiled us. When the stock market is down, we choose to take one less cruise and book a mini.

Archived