Singles no guarantees? Why?

gcorgain

I have booked a cruise on 8/15 as a single. Traveling with a friend who wants his own room. I booked a partially obstructed room and have been regularly checking for a reasonable upcharge to switch into at least a 2B. Yesterday I saw a guarantee on a concierge class for about $50pp more than I paid. I was elated. I thought for $100 more I could get a CC cabin. Short answer is nope. Celebrity won't allow any singles to book a guarantee. Why the heck not! I am paying double (actually slightly more) for the room. Why can't I book a guarantee?:mad:

I have booked a cruise on 8/15 as a single. Traveling with a friend who wants his own room. I booked a partially obstructed room and have been regularly checking for a reasonable upcharge to switch into at least a 2B. Yesterday I saw a guarantee on a concierge class for about $50pp more than I paid. I was elated. I thought for $100 more I could get a CC cabin. Short answer is nope. Celebrity won't allow any singles to book a guarantee. Why the heck not! I am paying double (actually slightly more) for the room. Why can't I book a guarantee?:mad:

I always sail solo but pick the cabin I want....who did you speak with

about it? I would call back and ask for a Supervisor. Not sure why they

wouldn't allow you to book a guarantee.

I always sail solo but pick the cabin I want....who did you speak with... Not sure why they

wouldn't allow you to book a guarantee.

Exactly, you "pick the cabin you want". It's not a guarantee.

I've also experienced what the OP experiences (solos not being able to book a guarantee when a couple can). Often times, the guarantee cabin (typically priced at the lowest-cabin-cost for the type of cabin you want) costs less than an "assigned" cabin does (which is of course priced as whatever specific cheapest cabin happens to be not-yet-assigned).

Exactly. The cheapest C3 cabin would be ~$700 more than mine. But, if I could book the XC type that a couple could book it would only be ~$100 more (at the cabin price). X won't let singles book in the XC class, at least according to my TA.

Yep, every time you go in to do an exploratory booking, if you 'bok for 2, you get one list of cabin categories, including guarantees. If you try to book for 1, the gty cabins are not available. Definite discrimination agains solos. EM

Hi Everyone !

My understanding is, that Singles CAN book GTY's. If you are having any problems booking them, I would ask to speak with a Supervisor at Celebrity.

To Gcorgain : If you are continuing to have problems booking a GTY, please email me, by clicking on the link below my signature. Thanks !

Yep, every time you go in to do an exploratory booking, if you 'bok for 2, you get one list of cabin categories, including guarantees. If you try to book for 1, the gty cabins are not available. Definite discrimination agains solos. EM

Everytime I try to do an exploratory booking for 2 people I do not have any access to avguarantee cabin of any category.

Andy, I've never had any luck booking guarantees either. Granted I have never 'gone to the mats' about it but you do know I try everything to get the cruise and the dreaded single supplement down to a reasonable price.

At least X is not taking HAL's route. HAL is now limiting the number of single cabins they will sell, even if you are paying 200%! Now THAT'S discrimination!!

This is true. Last year I had to travel solo and when I have tried to book online, the cheapest cabins were not available for solo. Searching for 2 people, all cabin categories were available. Searching for just one person, many categories dissappeared. I hope cruise lines will be a litle more solo-friendly.

By the way, I have heard that Silversea has some offers on selected tips for solo cruisers. On those trips, solo travellers pay 10-25% of the regular price.

On the other hand I was shocked to read that Oceania expects solo travellers to pay 200% of the fare. Something most be wrong with that information....

I was able to get a Cat Z as a single last year. I had booked a cat 9B on the Mercury and after switching to the guarantee I wound up with a cabin a few doors down the hall. This did show up on their web site, though things may have changed since then.

If you are paying 200% anyway- can't you just book for 2 people and tell them after penalty that one isn't showing up so you can get the taxes and port fees back? Does that come to the same amount?

This is true. Last year I had to travel solo and when I have tried to book online, the cheapest cabins were not available for solo. Searching for 2 people, all cabin categories were available. Searching for just one person, many categories dissappeared. I hope cruise lines will be a litle more solo-friendly.

By the way, I have heard that Silversea has some offers on selected tips for solo cruisers. On those trips, solo travellers pay 10-25% of the regular price.

On the other hand I was shocked to read that Oceania expects solo travellers to pay 200% of the fare. Something most be wrong with that information....

Hi,:) I believe the low SS on Silversea is offset by how expensive the

actual cruise is:eek: (in my opinion)....those luxury lines are $$$$$$

If you are paying 200% anyway- can't you just book for 2 people and tell them after penalty that one isn't showing up so you can get the taxes and port fees back? Does that come to the same amount?

I've never tried that, so I don't know if that works or not (especially if you booked the cabin under some sort of promo... they could, in theory, reprice the cabin???)

Here's an example of some screenshots from Celebrity's website. I chose a cruise that I am unlikely to book, Millie, Northbound, departing Fri Aug 6:

If you book as two people, you can get a Guarantee Inside cabin (the only thing left as an interior, cabin#GTY), priced at $849pp. If you book as one person, you cannot book an interior cabin at all.

1993967046_Picture2.jpg.dc90b4cee28d9d738183226749bb56b3.jpg

1392453517_Picture1.jpg.30d124c308efb668e21b0a7bf22d0654.jpg

At least X is not taking HAL's route. HAL is now limiting the number of single cabins they will sell, even if you are paying 200%! Now THAT'S discrimination!!

I guess that's okay. I'm happy to give my money to those companies that actually want it...

I'd bet that solos, collectively:

a] have more discretionary money to spend than couples do

a] tend to book ship excursions more often than couples do (since they are there solo, after all)

c] are more likely to hang out at the bar, etc...

I agree with outerspaceguy about the money spent!

But let's face it, singles have always been the step child of the cruise lines! We don't get the respect we deserve for the amount of money we collectively put in the cruise lines pocket. I wish it would change but if HAL's new policy is any indication, we are in for an even rougher ride! :rolleyes:

With attempting to book a Guaranty as a solo... But Celebrity has recently implemented a revised dining scheme in Blu that is far less welcoming to singles who book AquaClass... I'd been an enormous fan [four out of five trips aboard S-Class in fifteen months]...

Full flex dining [on my recent Eclipse sailing, we were able to arrive at Blu at any time between 6:00 and 9:30 PM] makes it tough to find dining companionship [i am not necessarily looking for new best friends but it is nice to meet/dine with others and share the day] unless you're sailing with folks you've met on an earlier cruise [as was the case on my recent Baltics trip] or on the Roll Call...

I so dislike the change [i have discussed the matter with a Maitre 'D on Equinox and Eclipse and mentioned it in surveys]-- that as much as I would still like to sail AquaClass--this week I cancelled two AquaClass reservations for the Silhouette inaugural and initial cruise out of Rome next July/August and I've instead reserved a similar [in fact, better] itinerary--of equal duration--in Concierge Class on Eclipse next August with Traditional Dining at a large table in the MDR [and saved $2500+]... And I'm still debating as to whether/not I'll go forward with my AquaClass reservation for November 27...

I don't know what Celebrity is thinking but it's enough to cause me to consider looking for lines that might be a bit more solo-friendly without feeling as though I'm being precluded from any class of service offered... At 200% of the cost--essentially the same as a couple would pay less one share of the nominal per person port fees/taxes, we do--to my mind--deserve better...

With attempting to book a Guaranty as a solo... But Celebrity has recently implemented a revised dining scheme in Blu that is far less welcoming to singles who book AquaClass... I'd been an enormous fan [four out of five trips aboard S-Class in fifteen months]...

Full flex dining [on my recent Eclipse sailing, we were able to arrive at Blu at any time between 6:00 and 9:30 PM] makes it tough to find dining companionship [i am not necessarily looking for new best friends but it is nice to meet/dine with others and share the day] unless you're sailing with folks you've met on an earlier cruise [as was the case on my recent Baltics trip] or on the Roll Call...

I so dislike the change [i have discussed the matter with a Maitre 'D on Equinox and Eclipse and mentioned it in surveys]-- that as much as I would still like to sail AquaClass--this week I cancelled two AquaClass reservations for the Silhouette inaugural and initial cruise out of Rome next July/August and I've instead reserved a similar [in fact, better] itinerary--of equal duration--in Concierge Class on Eclipse next August with Traditional Dining at a large table in the MDR [and saved $2500+]... And I'm still debating as to whether/not I'll go forward with my AquaClass reservation for November 27...

I don't know what Celebrity is thinking but it's enough to cause me to consider looking for lines that might be a bit more solo-friendly without feeling as though I'm being precluded from any class of service offered... At 200% of the cost--essentially the same as a couple would pay less one share of the nominal per person port fees/taxes, we do--to my mind--deserve better...

Mike...what???:eek: I booked AQ yesterday because I wanted to try

Blu:confused:...what are you saying? They don't want to seat single people?:eek:

I certainly hope my service is what I always receive...not sure I understand your post though.

Something must be bad if you already cancelled 2 cabins in there:(

What is this "revised dining" you mentioned??? Gosh....after all my excitement, this does not

sound very promising:(

Just in case you see this first, know that I've sent you a long e-mail that explains my disappointment--as a solo--with the Full Flex Dining that has been implemented in Blu... It makes it very difficult to find companionship over dinner unless you're cruising with others you've sailed with in the past or you've met fellow singles in AquaClass--of like preference--via the Roll Call...

I still love the Solstice Class ships, I still love AquaClass, and--most of all--I still love Blu... To my mind, the food, service, and ambience can't be beat and--under the right circumstances--I'd always reserve there... But I'm one of those singles who--despite operating comfortably and very willingly as a solo--simply does not prefer to dine alone in a more formal setting [i dine alone all the time on land but go casual]... Dinner is a very big deal as part of the total cruise experience...

In another post, you've indicated that there are other singles on your Roll Call with whom you may try to dine... And then, it's entirely possible that situations that lack appeal for me don't phase you a bit...

Just know that AquaClass and Blu are a terrific combo and that the Maitre 'D and his/her Assistant will go all out--within the context of the dining model and the demographics of the guest list [i think I might have been the only solo in AQ on my recent Eclipse trip]--to assure that you have a welcoming and first rate dining experience from every perspective...

As I explained in my note, I certainly didn't mean to alarm you... I predict that you're going to have a terrific trip and that you will enjoy every minute of it...

--Mike

Just in case you see this first, know that I've sent you a long e-mail that explains my disappointment--as a solo--with the Full Flex Dining that has been implemented in Blu... It makes it very difficult to find companionship over dinner unless you're cruising with others you've sailed with in the past or you've met fellow singles in AquaClass--of like preference--via the Roll Call...

I still love the Solstice Class ships, I still love AquaClass, and--most of all--I still love Blu... To my mind, the food, service, and ambience can't be beat and--under the right circumstances--I'd always reserve there... But I'm one of those singles who--despite operating comfortably and very willingly as a solo--simply does not prefer to dine alone in a more formal setting [i dine alone all the time on land but go casual]... Dinner is a very big deal as part of the total cruise experience...

In another post, you've indicated that there are other singles on your Roll Call with whom you may try to dine... And then, it's entirely possible that situations that lack appeal for me don't phase you a bit...

Just know that AquaClass and Blu are a terrific combo and that the Maitre 'D and his/her Assistant will go all out--within the context of the dining model and the demographics of the guest list [i think I might have been the only solo in AQ on my recent Eclipse trip]--to assure that you have a welcoming and first rate dining experience from every perspective...

As I explained in my note, I certainly didn't mean to alarm you... I predict that you're going to have a terrific trip and that you will enjoy every minute of it...

--Mike

Hi Mike, I have been out all day and just got home and read your

email:) Thanks for the explanation, although it does sound as though

they prefer to accomodate "groups" rather than solo cruisers.:rolleyes:

I will hopefully be treated with respect, eating there on my own

or not!

Why not just book a 2nd person in your room so you can get a gty., and then cancel just that person before final payment?

a] A lot of the times when you talk a guarantee room, you are already within final payment: you're only 30 days out, 60 days out, etc. The cruise line is trying to fill out their ship. Full payment is due at time of booking.

b] if you book for you, you pay 2 x the taxes and port charges. (Even at a 200% rate, you're only one person, so you only pay for taxes and port charges once.) Do you then get those refunded if one of the two cancels?

c] Assuming you do in (b), would you be able to to book someone who clearly does not exist ("Mrs NonExistent T. Person"), or do you actually need to book in the name of someone who has a valid passport number, visas (potentially), etc.?

Hi,:) I believe the low SS on Silversea is offset by how expensive the

actual cruise is:eek: (in my opinion)....those luxury lines are $$$$$$

Yes Silversea costs more but everything is included from tips to drinks and shuttle buses at ports. Sometimes it is also airfare included. For a person travelling solo is probably not a good idea to book Silversea for 7 days Caribbean, because one can get much cheaper offers from other cruiselines. However for the exotic itineraries (for example Dubai to Mumbai or something similar) if everything is included and besides that a solo traveller does not have to pay the double price, Silversea might be a good option. Maybe it is worthed to do the numbers. Unfortunately as I have mentioned before, the offers are on selected itineraries only, but who knows maybe one of those itineraries might be interesting and priceworthed (cheap will be unfortunately never...).

Andy, I've never had any luck booking guarantees either. Granted I have never 'gone to the mats' about it but you do know I try everything to get the cruise and the dreaded single supplement down to a reasonable price.

I have never booked as a single, so my guess may be wrong, but I suspect one reason that a cruise line may limit singles is tips. The cruise line relies heavily on tips to pay certain personnel. The more single travelers there are...the less tips the room attendant receives. He/she still has to clean the room, but gets half the tips. Of course this only applies if the single traveler does not double up on the tips.

Archived