In Portofino And Chops, How Many Items Can You Order Off The Menu?

I was just wondering, in Portifino's and Chops, can you order multiple appetizers, soups, entrees and desserts or are you limited to just one item per course?

My DH and I sometimes like to order a few different things to "Taste Test"..... eat-drink-smiley-542.gifdiner.gif

Thank You for your answers....... icon14.gif :)

I was just wondering, in Portifino's and Chops, can you order multiple appetizers, soups, entrees and desserts or are you limited to just one item per course?

My DH and I sometimes like to order a few different things to "Taste Test"..... eat-drink-smiley-542.gifdiner.gif

Multiple aps are ok, but a second entree is an upcharge I think.

I was just in the Portofino's in the Liberty and DH and I ordered one appetizer each. We each ordered one entree, mine being the filet, and I forget what he ordered.. But, the pasta entree sounded so interesting, I wanted to try it. The server brought one of those for us to share. It was all AWESOME. Finally, we ordered the dessert sampler - OMG, I was STUFFED but it was delicious.

Yes, maybe that is what the server did. It could have been an appetizer size pasta dish. It was SO delicious! I had it with my steak instead of a potato. We still spent a lot of money because we had wine and espresso and we left a nice tip. For dessert, we had ordered the sampler, but I noticed a ball of chocolate go by and I asked about it - the server brought me that too! I had to ROLL out of there - LOL. I ate no breakfast the next day :p Maybe we were charged for the extra appetizer and dessert - who knows at this point??? :confused:

Yes, maybe that is what the server did. It could have been an appetizer size pasta dish. It was SO delicious! I had it with my steak instead of a potato. We still spent a lot of money because we had wine and espresso and we left a nice tip. For dessert, we had ordered the sampler, but I noticed a ball of chocolate go by and I asked about it - the server brought me that too! I had to ROLL out of there - LOL. I ate no breakfast the next day :p Maybe we were charged for the extra appetizer and dessert - who knows at this point??? :confused:

So true, its so good and you get full, but you can't stop! You can get as many apps and desserts as you want, only an up charge if you order a second entree. That started last year I think

I am pretty sure you can order as much as you like but the portions are much, much larger than in the MDR.

You may order more than one appetizer, desert, soup, salad, BUT only ONE Main course per person. If you have a great waiter, he might bring you a little taste of the food you couldn't choose between. Then he'll expect a very nice tip!! The portions are a nice size, but far from "huge"....

Unlike the MDR, the specialty restaurants are more like fine dining and the food is specifically cooked to order. The portions are quite substantial. You may order more than one appetizer, soup or salad, however, they usually charge for additional entrees. ;)

That could always be another reason .....we always order a $50+ bottle of wine in either Portofino or Chops and tip on top.

At the Crown Grill on Princess not only can you order whatever you want it was recommended by the waiter. he recommended pairing the lobster tails with a steak or filet for surf and turf. Some in our party had the tails as an app. No extra charges at all. This is my first RC cruise and I see where it looks like they will nickle and dime a lot. Like no coffee card, no ultimate drink card, no alcohol on board. Prepayment of gratuities. Prepayment of shore excursions.

I know you can have multiple appetizers as well as an appetizer portion of pasta - haven't tried multiple desserts since I can barely get one down (and I always get two in the MDR). The portions are pretty generous. I think they would frown on people ordering multiples "just to taste" and then leaving most of the food. That's pretty tacky IMO - if you order it, eat it.

The amount of food has always been plentiful, I cant even see ordering more than one of the appetizers or salads unless of course you're a growing boy!! lmao (actually, on one cruise in '08, our waiter Simeon on EOS saw that my son loved the duck appetizer, they brought him out a plateful of just the duck. In addition to his entree that followed! Hence, my "growing boy" comment!!) :D Seriously though, it is a different dining experience from the MDR, go more than one night if you want to try everything on the menu.

At the Crown Grill on Princess not only can you order whatever you want it was recommended by the waiter. he recommended pairing the lobster tails with a steak or filet for surf and turf. Some in our party had the tails as an app. No extra charges at all. This is my first RC cruise and I see where it looks like they will nickle and dime a lot. Like no coffee card, no ultimate drink card, no alcohol on board. Prepayment of gratuities. Prepayment of shore excursions.

The only time you must pre-pay your gratuities is if you select My Time Dining. Otherwise, you pay your gratuities as you normally would on any other line.

If you pre-pay your shore excursions and change your mind (at least 24 hours prior to the excursion), the amount you paid will be put back on your credit card. It all flushes out in the end.

I don't see that as "nickel diming".

I've seen an upcharge for multiple entrees before, though I can't imagine actually eating more than one. In Portofino, you can generally get a smaller version of a pasta dish as an appetizer.

Nothing to do with the subject - but - it's good to see you back on here! Hope this last semester was good for you. We're doing a TA in May and can't wait! Say hi to your Dad for us, ok? What's your next cruise? Aus./NZ was awesome!!

You may order more than one appetizer, desert, soup, salad, BUT only ONE Main course per person.

I am really confused by this statement as well as the one that said you can order as much as you want (We are talking about the "specialty" restaurants and not the MDR) ... the reason I am confused is there has been quite a few threads on the subject lately and more than 1 person mentioned the waiters told you right away what you could order. They said 1 app per person and 1 app to share. 1 entree ... and some people were allowed to order multiple desserts and others weren't.

Actually, it was confusing on the other thread too now that I think of it. It seems to vary from ship to ship and maybe even waiter to waiter :confused:

I am really confused by this statement as well as the one that said you can order as much as you want (We are talking about the "specialty" restaurants and not the MDR) ... the reason I am confused is there has been quite a few threads on the subject lately and more than 1 person mentioned the waiters told you right away what you could order. They said 1 app per person and 1 app to share. 1 entree ... and some people were allowed to order multiple desserts and others weren't.

Actually' date=' it was confusing on the other thread too now that I think of it. It seems to vary from ship to ship and maybe even waiter to waiter :confused:[/quote']

I think it does vary ship to ship. As far as I know, extra entrees (you really won't need one!) are an extra $10. On Explorer last week we asked that they substitute the eggplant portion of the crostini app and that was no problem.

It really is a lot of food even if you just get 1 of each course.

I do think it varies from ship to ship. On Freedom in May, I ordered an appetizer and I have always been able to order an appetizer portion of the pasta with marscapone and mushroom sauce, but that is now listed as an entrée. I asked our waiter if I could get that in the appetizer size as well as the filet for my entrée. He said that now that the pasta is an entrée and not a separate course as it was previously, there would be an upcharge.

I told the waiter that I asked the person who takes the reservations at the podium before we made the reservations if we could do that as I had seen the menu. I was told that I could do that, so that's why we made the reservations.

He sent the manager of Portofino to our table and he said he would do it for us, but that is no longer their policy. If we want the pasta, even in an appetizer size, it will be considered the entrée and if we had the steak too, we would be charged for it. I'm not so sure that we will go to Portofino again.

I do think it varies from ship to ship. On Freedom in May, I ordered an appetizer and I have always been able to order an appetizer portion of the pasta with marscapone and mushroom sauce, but that is now listed as an entrée. I asked our waiter if I could get that in the appetizer size as well as the filet for my entrée. He said that now that the pasta is an entrée and not a separate course as it was previously, there would be an upcharge.

The same thing happened to us on Freedom July 2009. I asked for the pasta "for the table to share" (there were 5 of us) and he said, "I'm sorry but I will have to charge you $10 for an extra entree". I said ok, no problem.

When our entrees were served, the waiter brought out the pasta in 3 smaller sized dishes. He said he made it into a side dish so we wouldn't be charged.

The new menu isn't as good as the old one as there are less choices. The only starter we really like is the shrimp risotto. The 'per due' apps are mostly meh.

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR YOUR RESPONSES.......!!! icon14.gificon14.gif

I REALLY DO APPRECIATE IT.......!!! icon14.gif :)

Cruive Diva NJ, I hope you don't mind that I have "borrowed" your ADORABLY CUTE "Love Boat" Smiley........!!! :D

Archived