Getting off the ship in ports...how long does it take?

Finally Going!

Going on the Golden to Alaska--how much time should I expect it to take to actually get off and on the ship in each port. We get to Juneau at noon---if I were arranging a private tour--what time should I (realistically) be looking at?

Also--DD and I are going on a Princess tour in Skagway in the early AM and returning at 11:30...is it realistic to think we will get back on the ship and have lunch with the rest of the family and then go out again (on our own) to explore for the afternoon/evening? :confused:

Generally if your ship docks at Noon you probably will be able to get off the ship between 30 minutes (at best) and an hour (probably around average).

Depending on when your ship is sailing from Skagway you probably will be fine to go back to ship have lunch and then go into town to see it.

Have a great next cruise.

We were on the Sapphire last year to Alaska, and you should be fine booking a tour if you give yourself the hour or so leeway in case things go slowly. As for Skagway, you'll have lots of time to do it all - that was our longest port stay when we went, and we walked and walked all morning, did a short tour in the afternoon, and still went to the interpretation centre and another hike before our feet and stomachs gave in and we retreated back to the ship. (We did have lunch on the ship in between!)

Have a great trip!

Quite easily. But after getting off the Princess Bus, hustle a bit to the gangway because sometimes 2 or 3 buses arrive at the same time and the gangway may then get crowded for boarding. Security slows down the boarding a bit. Getting off again will be fast because there is no security check getting off.

Also--DD and I are going on a Princess tour in Skagway in the early AM and returning at 11:30...is it realistic to think we will get back on the ship and have lunch with the rest of the family and then go out again (on our own) to explore for the afternoon/evening? :confused:

I see no one has mentioned tender ports. Waiting for tenders can take up to 3 hours, dependent on number of tenders used, whether local ferries used also, sea conditions and travel distance ship to shore. Captains Circle Elite pax and those on ships tours get priority on the tenders, others have to go get a tender ticket from a proclaimed area on the ship, normally a lounge, then await the call for their ticket number/colour, as I said could take 3 hours, could be 1 hour, all depends on loads.

However I note the author of the thread is referring to Skagway/Juneau, been to those ports on Carnival Spirit and we tied up at a berth, so no problems getting off, although there was a very long line when we arrived back at the ship on the White Pass railway, which comes in right alongside the ship.

I agree. It takes about 30 minutes for the ship to tie up, the gangway to be put out and secured, and the ship to be cleared by the local port authorities. Once the ship is cleared, there's a long line to get off but it moves pretty quickly, depending on how aggressive the photographers are at the bottom of the gangway. I hate having to wait for each couple/group to stop, have their photo taken, and move off before anyone else can walk past.

I see no one has mentioned tender ports. Waiting for tenders can take up to 3 hours, dependent on number of tenders used, whether local ferries used also, sea conditions and travel distance ship to shore. Captains Circle Elite pax and those on ships tours get priority on the tenders, others have to go get a tender ticket from a proclaimed area on the ship, normally a lounge, then await the call for their ticket number/colour, as I said could take 3 hours, could be 1 hour, all depends on loads.

I don't think that Princess tenders anywhere in Alaska...so 30 mins should do it max.

I agree. It takes about 30 minutes for the ship to tie up, the gangway to be put out and secured, and the ship to be cleared by the local port authorities. Once the ship is cleared, there's a long line to get off but it moves pretty quickly, depending on how aggressive the photographers are at the bottom of the gangway. I hate having to wait for each couple/group to stop, have their photo taken, and move off before anyone else can walk past.

Does everyone get a professional picture taken at the dock?

Is there a specific order like lowest to highest decks passengers must get off?

As others have posted, it will normally take 20 to 30 minutes for the ship to be cleared by authorities and the setup ready for passengers to disembark.

However, the ship may sometimes arrive a few minutes early and thus be ready for disembarkation soon after the "scheduled" arrival time.

Depending where you on on the line to get off the ship, it could be 5-10 minutes once disembarkation starts until you get to the front of the line.

If you are arranging a private tour, the tour people will know how long after the ship arrives they can usually expect the passengers to be off the ship.

It can vary, getting off physically never took less then 5" during our 4 stops in Alaska. In the Med there were ports that took longer as did the carribean where lines snaked into the stairwells and backed up the elevators.

Be aware that depending on where you dock in Juneau you could be a 15' walk or 20' wait/bus ride to the main dock area.

In Skagway we did similar to you, off crack of dawn with no wait to do heli/glacier at 7:45 and back for lunch and out again.

Good luck

Going on the Golden to Alaska--how much time should I expect it to take to actually get off and on the ship in each port. We get to Juneau at noon---if I were arranging a private tour--what time should I (realistically) be looking at?

The photographers would like to take everyones picture, but most people just keep walking.

Yes, people still get their pictures taken. In a couple ports they had people dressed up in some silly outfits, Moose, crab, fishermen. Do people really buy these for 19.99 or whatever they cost and show them off? :confused:

The picture taking can slow the process because in two ports they really ambushed you right where the line goes single file to swipe your card.

We like many others just said no thanks.

Yes, people still get their pictures taken. In a couple ports they had people dressed up in some silly outfits, Moose, crab, fishermen. Do people really buy these for 19.99 or whatever they cost and show them off? :confused:

On my first trip to AK, with kids, we would line the kids up with the mascots to let the photographer take a picture, then my husband would take his own shot at the same time. He had a good camera and his photos were just as good as the ship photographers, but free. We didn't buy any of those shots, but did buy lots of formal family portraits, so they still made money on us.

Archived