Florence from Livorno

sandian

Can someone tell me what you mean when you refer to the "ship's agent". Is this different for every port? Where do you get this information? I have always wondered where you would contact if you missed the ship--would really appreciate this information.

Can someone tell me what you mean when you refer to the "ship's agent". Is this different for every port? Where do you get this information? I have always wondered where you would contact if you missed the ship--would really appreciate this information.

The ship's agent is somebody who handles many port side related activities for the ship. It is usually somebody different in each port, though some companies offer the service in more than one port. He coordinates for example the paperwork, the delivering of goods, the provison of tugs and many other required services.

Name, address and phone number are usually printed in your daily paper or programme, what ever it is called on your ship or line. Therefore it is advisable to take the programme with you.

Taking this paper with you might sometimes also be helpful for example to communicate with a taxi driver when you can show him the name and berth of your ship in print.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, my two cents. We had no problem getting a taxi from the ship to the train station in Livorno. However, coming back was another matter. There were no taxis around the station. We ended up on a city bus but got off at the wrong stop. We were somewhere on the docks and could see the ship but there was no way to walk to it. We finally ended up in a cafe where they very kindly called a radio taxi after alot of arm waving and feeble attempts at Italian. This took another hour after getting off of the train. Luckily, it was very hot so we had left Florence a bit early and had plenty of time. Given that experience, I would be very careful about how close you cut it.

We will be in Livorno in November. Late arrival - 8 a.m. After reading CC I felt that my friend and I should take the outrageous NCL bus to Florence - $124/pp. It rankled me - both my wallet and my sense of adventure. After re-reading CC I changed my mind and felt we could do the train. Ship arrives at 8, get off the ship, 15 minutes, share a cab to train station, 15 minutes, wait in line to get train ticket, 15 minutes. We have 25 minutes leeway to catch the 9:10. Coming back, we catch the 3:27 p.m., arrive in Livorno train station 4:50, share a cab to the ship. If there are no cabs, we wait until there is a cab. There has to be cabs sometime between 4:50 and 6:15. We have to be back on board at 6:30. Does this sound reasonable? Naturally I will take all phone information to make the necessary call to the proper authority in case there are no cabs in 1 hr. and 25 minutes.

We will be in Livorno in November. Late arrival - 8 a.m... Ship arrives at 8, get off the ship, 15 minutes, share a cab to train station, 15 minutes, wait in line to get train ticket, 15 minutes. We have 25 minutes leeway to catch the 9:10. Coming back, we catch the 3:27 p.m., arrive in Livorno train station 4:50, share a cab to the ship. If there are no cabs, we wait until there is a cab. There has to be cabs sometime between 4:50 and 6:15. We have to be back on board at 6:30. Does this sound reasonable?

The only issue I see is whether or not you can get off the ship that quickly, but you seem to have built a fair amount of pad into your time so it will likely be fine.

By taking the train to the station, you may avoid the long wait to buy tickets - the real pile ups seem to happen when an entire bus unloads.

Also, buy your return ticket in the morning (they are regional tickets, not for a specific train, so they won't obligate you to a specific return time) to save waiting on line in Florence in the afternoon.

Doh! Yes, I meant to say by taking a cab to the station. Typing too early (4:49 AM, what was I thinking?) is my excuse, and I'm sticking with it.

Your Italian is correct, although it's fine to simply say "andata e ritorno", just like here at home, full sentence structure, or even correct grammar, isn't particularly prized in quick transactions.

You can get off the ship and hire Tuscany by taxi and make a price for the amount of time they are needed and how many people will be sharing the ride. They will take you and show you anything you want to see or do. Have a great time!

Yowza! I would NOT take my passport off the ship! Take a color copy but leave the original in your safe. Passports are the #1 target for pickpockets, and believe me there are many in Rome (and Florence) in the summertime. If you plan appropriately you will be just fine. We always plan to take the train BEFORE the last one and have never had a problem.

SOOOOO! true!

One more piece of advice.... Never ever!! get in the last train car..

Or let anyone take your bags...Even if they say they work there.

They don't!!!! They are only there to set you up and as soon as you enter the car about 5 start walking and bumping into you.. It happened to me.

But I caught the Bast**d.

The FRONT CAR is where you want to be with the conductor.

In Italy the conductor is in the front with the engineer.

• 3 weeks later...
Please can someone help with a detailed description of transport(train) from Livorno to Florence

Cheers,

Michael

A quick search of this board would bring up lots of details, but here goes again. You will need to take a taxi from the pier to the Livorno train station (about a 10 min drive). Many taxis will refuse the short fare but there are always a few that will do the trip for approximately 20 -25 Euros (price of the entire taxi). Once at the station you can buy your ticket (buy round trip to avoid a line buying a ticket in Florence) from the ticket counter or in the vending machine. You will get two different tickets (once for each direction). Make sure you validate only one ticket (you validate the return ticket before you board in Florence on the return) by inserting it in the ticket validation machine (they are usually yellow) which simply stamps a time/date. Keep in mind that when you plan your return you will again need a taxi from the Livorno train station back to the port and taxis can be in short supply at the station. Hence, get off the train as soon as possible and rush through the station, out the front door, and hope you get lucky. It is wise to give yourself extra time in case you must wait for a taxi so do come back to Livorno at the last minute (we like to plan to be back in Livorno about 1 1/2 hours before we must be on the ship). Here is the link to the Trenitialia site where you can look-up the schedules

http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=c79686605528a110VgnVCM1000003f16f90aRCRD

If you are looking far in advance they will not have schedules posted, but there have been few changes on this line over the past few years.

Hank

We were on the Noordam a few weeks ago and here is what we did and how well it worked. Much of this has been touched on already. We were in the first group off the ship and I made a b-line for the taxis. A group of drivers were standing there and I said I wanted to go to the train station. Without hesitation one of the driver told us to jump in his cab. We were at the station in time to catch the 7:33 train which put is in FLorence just after 9:00 which was great as we got to check out the Duomo and Baptestry before the crowds arrived. We caught the 3:27 train back. As some have warned when we got off the train there were no taxi's in sight. Due to the great help we had recieved on CC, I knew that the #1 bus ran to Pizza Grande and that HAL had a shuttle bus one block north. The #1 bus stop is right in front of where you exit the station so we hopped on a very crowed bus and took the short ride to Piazza Grande. As far as where to get off, it was easy, the whole bus emptied out as most passengers were cruise passengers. We walked one block north and there sat the HAL bus. It went of like we knew what we were doing. :rolleyes:

On planning which train to take for the return, figure out which one is the last to safely (i.e. with enough time to spare) get you back to the ship and take the one before that. That gives you a fall back if you miss the first one.

Kirk

As some have warned when we got off the train there were no taxi's in sight. Due to the great help we had recieved on CC, I knew that the #1 bus ran to Pizza Grande and that HAL had a shuttle bus one block north. The #1 bus stop is right in front of where you exit the station so we hopped on a very crowed bus and took the short ride to Piazza Grande. As far as where to get off, it was easy, the whole bus emptied out as most passengers were cruise passengers. We walked one block north and there sat the HAL bus. It went of like we knew what we were doing. :rolleyes:

That was handy that your ship line HAL had a shuttle. NCL does not have a shuttle from the port to downtown Livorno - Piazza Grande. I just checked. Did you have to show your i.d. to the shuttle driver? Maybe we can take another ship's shuttlle if we get stuck.

That was handy that your ship line HAL had a shuttle. NCL does not have a shuttle from the port to downtown Livorno - Piazza Grande. I just checked. Did you have to show your i.d. to the shuttle driver? Maybe we can take another ship's shuttlle if we get stuck.

No there is no check-in or anything, you just get on and they take you to the ship. Having said that, Livorno is a huge industrial port and getting to a HAL ship could leave you a long way from another ship. In fact, the day we were in port so was another HAL ship and they were no where near us as far as docking.

Kirk

No there is no check-in or anything, you just get on and they take you to the ship. Having said that, Livorno is a huge industrial port and getting to a HAL ship could leave you a long way from another ship. In fact, the day we were in port so was another HAL ship and they were no where near us as far as docking.

Kirk

Do you remember seeing any taxi stands around the Piazza Grande? Or any big hotels?

We feel compelled to jump in here on the shuttle situation. To be very blunt we are not big supporters of the idea of using a shuttle bus as a means of getting to or from the train station...although our major concern would be getting back to the ship via a shuttle that may or may not run (this is Italy). Taking the local bus from the train station, late in the afternoon, may possibly leave you stranded in downtown Livorno with no taxi or shuttle bus in sight. This is why we recommend allowing some additional time when you are returning to the ship and that you wait to get a taxi at the train station. If there are no taxis you simply need to wait a few minutes. If you start to panic you can simply go back into the station and nicely ask them to call a taxi. The key here is that you do not want to be trying to get back to your ship with only a few minutes to spare. As long as you get back with plenty of time (anything less then an hour would not make me a happy camper) you will be fine. It is a similar situation in the morning with the shuttle buses (when they are running). You will normally have to wait at the pier until at least 8:30 before there is even a shuttle. You then get downtown, transfer to the local bus and finally get to the station. If you are lucky by the time you get a train you might get to Florence by 10:30. By taking a taxi from the pier to the station (only 5 Euros pp if you have 4) you can get a much earlier train and add over an hour to your stay in Florence. There are certainly places where using public transit is smart (and we often recommend public transit) but Livorno is a place for taxis.

Hank

Yes, there is a taxi stand. As you get off the bus (the bus stands are in the middle of the road), the taxi stand is across the street and about a half block further down the street, where Via Grande runs into Piazza Grande. There is a newstand, and the cabs line up on the other side of it.

We feel compelled to jump in here on the shuttle situation. To be very blunt we are not big supporters of the idea of using a shuttle bus as a means of getting to or from the train station...although our major concern would be getting back to the ship via a shuttle that may or may not run (this is Italy). Taking the local bus from the train station, late in the afternoon, may possibly leave you stranded in downtown Livorno with no taxi or shuttle bus in sight. This is why we recommend allowing some additional time when you are returning to the ship and that you wait to get a taxi at the train station. If there are no taxis you simply need to wait a few minutes. If you start to panic you can simply go back into the station and nicely ask them to call a taxi. The key here is that you do not want to be trying to get back to your ship with only a few minutes to spare. As long as you get back with plenty of time (anything less then an hour would not make me a happy camper) you will be fine. It is a similar situation in the morning with the shuttle buses (when they are running). You will normally have to wait at the pier until at least 8:30 before there is even a shuttle. You then get downtown, transfer to the local bus and finally get to the station. If you are lucky by the time you get a train you might get to Florence by 10:30. By taking a taxi from the pier to the station (only 5 Euros pp if you have 4) you can get a much earlier train and add over an hour to your stay in Florence. There are certainly places where using public transit is smart (and we often recommend public transit) but Livorno is a place for taxis.

Hank

I have to totally agree with your summary on this situation.

Hank

We were far from panicing, we arrived in Livorno around 4:30 and our ship did not leave until 8:00. This was our plan B and you are correct we could have waited for a taxi but as other post in other threads have pointed out, some have waited 30 or more minutes for a taxi that never appears. If when we arrived at Pizza Grande and we had not found a HAL bus we were fully prepared to get a taxi back to the ship as we had done in the morning.

Kirk

My goodness, a chance to tease Euro Cruiser? Love it. Its about that taxi stand in Livorno. We have seen that taxi stand quite a few times over the years but have noticed that there are often no taxis, particularly late in the afternoon. To be honest, Livorno is the port that has driven me to drink (only when I am not driving) more than nearly any other European port. We have been there more then a dozen times and never missed a ship, but we have sure come close more then once. To sum up my feeling about Livorno, the port authority should all be tossed in the drink for not running a decent port shuttle service like we have in Civitavecchia and the taxi drivers in Livorno should follow the port authority officals into the sea (with their taxis). And why we are doing our annual "Livorno Rant" I should mention that we have driven nearly 10,000 miles within Italy and have often been in the area near Livorno, but we always make sure to never go into that city! Because if we saw a port authority official (have no idea who they are) we would probably run them down! Enough said. Now I need a glass of some decent Italian wine.

Hank

To sum up my feeling about Livorno, the port authority should all be tossed in the drink for not running a decent port shuttle service like we have in Civitavecchia and the taxi drivers in Livorno should follow the port authority officals into the sea (with their taxis).

I second the motion.

My goodness, a chance to tease Euro Cruiser? Love it. Its about that taxi stand in Livorno. We have seen that taxi stand quite a few times over the years but have noticed that there are often no taxis, particularly late in the afternoon. To be honest, Livorno is the port that has driven me to drink (only when I am not driving) more than nearly any other European port. We have been there more then a dozen times and never missed a ship, but we have sure come close more then once. To sum up my feeling about Livorno, the port authority should all be tossed in the drink for not running a decent port shuttle service like we have in Civitavecchia and the taxi drivers in Livorno should follow the port authority officals into the sea (with their taxis). And why we are doing our annual "Livorno Rant" I should mention that we have driven nearly 10,000 miles within Italy and have often been in the area near Livorno, but we always make sure to never go into that city! Because if we saw a port authority official (have no idea who they are) we would probably run them down! Enough said. Now I need a glass of some decent Italian wine.

Hank

I agree. I wonder if it is because the cruise ships are insignificant compared to the industrial traffic that they really don't care. Plus as you correctly point out it is Italy and they operate as the wish. All in all, in my limited experience it can be the hardest to get back to the ship on your return run.

Kirk

I'm with you about Livorno! :D

We had paid for the NCL shuttle last summer, but were so disgusted by the process trying to get on for the return trip that we walked back to the piazza and grabbed a taxi. I guess I was lucky that there was one at the stand that day.

Hi..

We did Florence as a DIY last year and had a wonderful time..We shared a cab from the ship to station..4€ per person..Caught the 8:10am train..arrived Florence @ 9:30 and returned to Livorno on the 3:27pm train..

We are returning to Florence in September and will take the train again with a stop in Pisa to see the leaning tower..

Carol

Can you please tell me if you buy a ticket first to Pisa, and then one to Florence, or do you just buy one ticket at the start and get off and on again? We would like to do the same thing on October 9th. (Sorry if it is a "dumb question" but have not train traveled in years and not in Italy). Also, are children same fare as adults? Thanks!

Archived