Florence from Livorno

sandian

The only problem with that earlier train is that its so darn early. Odds are that you will not get to Florence until at least 9 am (assuming you make one the trains that leave before 8). When you add some walking time to get from the train through the station and into the heart of Florence plus the time you need to get back to the train your 2:27 train does not leave you a lot of time in Florence. My advice would be to know all of your options (including that 2:27 train) and then do what feels right at the time.

Hank

Here is an example of a ticket, and where to look to find the valid time. This is a Rome to Naples ticket (which is right around the 200 km cut off, so this doesn't really help me understand) from May 2010, . Notice on the lower half, left side, below "Tariffa Intera".

Remember the quote from Trenitalia that you posted that said something in Italian that translated to "except where provided for by specific regional rates" I think the ticket you posted is a prime example of that. Hey, what can I say? Its Italy!

• 3 weeks later...
Hi..

We did Florence as a DIY last year and had a wonderful time..We shared a cab from the ship to station..4€ per person..Caught the 8:10am train..arrived Florence @ 9:30 and returned to Livorno on the 3:27pm train..

We are returning to Florence in September and will take the train again with a stop in Pisa to see the leaning tower..

Carol

I cannot get tx to Uffizi and Accademia until the afternoon (12:30 Uffizi and I have not booked Accademia yet, but only pm available) - if I get an early am train, does stopping in Pisa on the way to Florence make sense? Do all the trains stop in Pisa on the way to Florence or how can I find out? Many thanks!

I cannot get tx to Uffizi and Accademia until the afternoon (12:30 Uffizi and I have not booked Accademia yet, but only pm available) - if I get an early am train, does stopping in Pisa on the way to Florence make sense? Do all the trains stop in Pisa on the way to Florence or how can I find out? Many thanks!

I get flamed some times for telling folks that there is much more to Florence than visiting museums. In fact, when we have stayed in Florence (generally for 2 or 3 nights each visit) we seldom find the time to even go to a museum. At any rate, you have a bit of a problem. If you are not going to the Ufizzi until 12:30, and then you allow for delays to enter plus about 2 hours to walk through the museum (and for an art lover this is rushing things) it means you do not even get out of the place until 2:30. The Academia is a long walk from the Ufizzi so you would probably need to get a taxi, rush out to the Academia (which is taking you further from the train station), hope you can get quickly into the Academia (not likely), take a quick glance at David (amazing), skip the remainder of the museum, rush back outside and get a taxi so you can rush back to the train station in time for the 3:27 train. Of course you could make it work if you take the 4:27 train, but you then need a "Plan B" in case you miss the ship.

So now you understand why we spend a lot of time driving through Italy (have probably driven nearly 10,000 miles within this country). A cruise is a great way to get introduced to this fabulous country, but it takes many months of visiting to even start to really appreciate all that Italy offers.

Ciao for Now

Hank

As to visiting Pisa, all the regional trains stop at Pisa and, has been discussed on this board recently, your ticket to Florence gives you enough valid hours for you to jump off in Pisa and perhaps spend an hour. But this does take away from time in Florence and with your museums taking up every minute in Florence you might want to consider just getting to Florence in the morning, walking around the central area and enjoying this fabulous city, and perhaps having a light lunch before you go to the Ufizzi.

I get flamed some times for telling folks that there is much more to Florence than visiting museums. In fact, when we have stayed in Florence (generally for 2 or 3 nights each visit) we seldom find the time to even go to a museum. At any rate, you have a bit of a problem. If you are not going to the Ufizzi until 12:30, and then you allow for delays to enter plus about 2 hours to walk through the museum (and for an art lover this is rushing things) it means you do not even get out of the place until 2:30. The Academia is a long walk from the Ufizzi so you would probably need to get a taxi, rush out to the Academia (which is taking you further from the train station), hope you can get quickly into the Academia (not likely), take a quick glance at David (amazing), skip the remainder of the museum, rush back outside and get a taxi so you can rush back to the train station in time for the 3:27 train. Of course you could make it work if you take the 4:27 train, but you then need a "Plan B" in case you miss the ship.

So now you understand why we spend a lot of time driving through Italy (have probably driven nearly 10,000 miles within this country). A cruise is a great way to get introduced to this fabulous country, but it takes many months of visiting to even start to really appreciate all that Italy offers.

Ciao for Now

Hank

As to visiting Pisa, all the regional trains stop at Pisa and, has been discussed on this board recently, your ticket to Florence gives you enough valid hours for you to jump off in Pisa and perhaps spend an hour. But this does take away from time in Florence and with your museums taking up every minute in Florence you might want to consider just getting to Florence in the morning, walking around the central area and enjoying this fabulous city, and perhaps having a light lunch before you go to the Ufizzi.

I normally don't disagree with Hank but I do in reference to the long walk. It is .6 miles which we easily covered in 15 minutes. Maybe we are just fast walkers??? Than from Accademia to the station is another .5 miles, again a 15 minute walk, to me not very far either in distance or time. No way would I use a taxi for either one.

Kirk

Ciao for Now

Hank

Thanks for your reply and suggestions. I do so look forward to the day when we can return for a land trip and spend several days in the area! I really do not want to miss seeing David my first time to Florence, though, so will head there first thing in the morning and stand in line and see what happens - apparently this line moves quicker than others- and hopefully luck out . . .

Thanks again,

Darlene

Foye and Lisa, I have written to you before, and you have been very helpful! We are going on another cruise this May, and will have just one day to spend in Florence out of Livorno. I have been to Florence many times, but need help with this question. We have hired a guide/car and plan on spending part of the day just savoring the "flavors" of Florence, and then on the return to the port, stopping at the hill town of Certaldo for a couple of hours. I know you know Italy! Do you think this is a workable plan, and if so, do you recall if a small hill town will have anything open on a Sunday, the day we are in port? I don't know if we have time to go to San Gigamano. I have spent time in Sienna; I think this is too far from Florence. The tour company suggested Certaldo. Any thoughts? Thank you so much! elaine

Thanks for your reply and suggestions. I do so look forward to the day when we can return for a land trip and spend several days in the area! I really do not want to miss seeing David my first time to Florence, though, so will head there first thing in the morning and stand in line and see what happens - apparently this line moves quicker than others- and hopefully luck out . . .

Thanks again,

Darlene

Sounds like a good plan. My DW reminded me that when we went to the Academia (this was probably 15 years ago) we went without tickets and were not in line more than 15 min. It actually makes logistical sense to go there first since it is the furthest point from the train station....

Hank

Foye and Lisa, I have written to you before, and you have been very helpful! We are going on another cruise this May, and will have just one day to spend in Florence out of Livorno. I have been to Florence many times, but need help with this question. We have hired a guide/car and plan on spending part of the day just savoring the "flavors" of Florence, and then on the return to the port, stopping at the hill town of Certaldo for a couple of hours. I know you know Italy! Do you think this is a workable plan, and if so, do you recall if a small hill town will have anything open on a Sunday, the day we are in port? I don't know if we have time to go to San Gigamano. I have spent time in Sienna; I think this is too far from Florence. The tour company suggested Certaldo. Any thoughts? Thank you so much! elaine

I think that it is a workable plan. Many of the small towns in the Tuscany area are really nice to just wander around in. Find a small sidewak cafe, have a coffee or a cold drink and just soak in the atmosphere and people watch. I do think that Seinna our San G. would be a stretch in your planned day.

Do you think that anything in Certaldo or any other small hill town will be open on a Sunday? Thanks for your response Lisa and Foy. elaine

That is hard to say. Of course, bars and restaurants, and anything else tourist related; beyond that it's a tough call. I'd go anyway.

Hi..

We did Florence as a DIY last year and had a wonderful time..We shared a cab from the ship to station..4€ per person..Caught the 8:10am train..arrived Florence @ 9:30 and returned to Livorno on the 3:27pm train..

We are returning to Florence in September and will take the train again with a stop in Pisa to see the leaning tower..

Carol

Hi as one Carol to another Carole,

We DH & I & DF are planning to take train as you did Traveling next June. Quesions:

Do you have a link/address for info on this train. We really would like to do Livorno-Pisa-Florence & return Florence to Livorno or vv if easier. Do you recall the cost? Are there 60yr+ discounts? Were you able to enjoy Flornce or did you feel rushed due to schedule?

Also have you done Civitavecchia to Rome round trip? Same questions as above

Many thanks

Carole

We really would like to do Livorno-Pisa-Florence & return Florence to Livorno or vv if easier. Do you recall the cost? Are there 60yr+ discounts?

The trains between Livorno Centrale and Florence (Firenze) stop at Pisa. Know, however, that you won't have much time if you try and see both in one day. The train takes nearly 90 minutes in each direction. Fare is Euro 6,70 each way and, although there is a senior citizen rate, you are probably not eligible as it is only available to those with an EU passport.

Civitavecchia to Rome round trip? Same questions as above

Civitavecchia to Rome costs Euro 4,50 each way. It makes sense to purchase a BIRG ticket rather than a simple train ticket. The BIRG also costs Euro 9,00 and covers both the regional train fare between Rome and Civitavecchia (both ways) as well as all public transit in Rome during the day.

Archived