Florence from Livorno

sandian

I saw a post somewhere today (not sure where) where the poster said they were on a Princess ship that actually provided a shuttle bus direct to the train station. Now we have been in Livorno more then a dozen times (several with Princess) and this was never the case, but perhaps things are changing. On the other hand, a taxi (with 4) would be about 5 Euros per person and one can only imagine what Princess might charge for a shuttle. We would also caution folks wanting to use the train that time is very important. There are usually trains (from Livorno) at 7:30, 7:43 and around 8:11. At that point there is usually 1 train an hour (at about 11 past the hour) although we do not know if there is even any train at 9:11. My point is that you want to make the 7:43 or 8:11 (we have made the 7:30 on a couple of ocassions) which means you do not want to be sitting on a shuttle bus as it waits next to the pier. So, for all you Florence fans, get off the ship very fast (try to be the first) walk quickly to the taxis, make it clear you want a taxi to take you to the station (Stazione) NOW, and get going!

Regarding the prior post about tickets, we are not aware of a ticket on this line that would allow you to re-board in Pisa. You could gamble and try to use your original ticket (that you would have validated in Livorno) when you reboard, but if you get checked by the conductor he will notice that your time/date validation stamp is a little outdated. And, the fine is not a pretty thing! We think you would have to buy separate tickets (probably will not cost much more). Perhaps Euro-Cruiser can jump in here and tell me if I am wrong

Hank

Hank

Regarding the prior post about tickets, we are not aware of a ticket on this line that would allow you to re-board in Pisa. You could gamble and try to use your original ticket (that you would have validated in Livorno) when you reboard, but if you get checked by the conductor he will notice that your time/date validation stamp is a little outdated. And, the fine is not a pretty thing!

Regional tickets are good for four hours from the validation time stamp. Therefore, if you can get off and get back on another train that will get you to your destination before the four hours run out, you can do it. If the four hours runs out one stop prior to your destination, and you get caught, it's an expensive mistake, so be sure you know what you are doing.

My family and I did this last summer. We bought tickets to Lucca from Livorno, but got off in Pisa for a couple of hours. We arrived in Lucca about ten minutes before the four hours ran out, mostly because I got stupid and missed the train I wanted, and got stuck in that two hour mid-day window when there is no train to Lucca.

Thanks Euro (ole buddy). Was hoping you would jump in on this since we did not know the number of hours of the validity. As to the conductors and the big fines, we have seen grown men (and ladies) cry and conductors sometimes will back-off if they are in a good mood and like Americans.

Hank

I saw a post somewhere today (not sure where) where the poster said they were on a Princess ship that actually provided a shuttle bus direct to the train station. Now we have been in Livorno more then a dozen times (several with Princess) and this was never the case, but perhaps things are changing. On the other hand, a taxi (with 4) would be about 5 Euros per person and one can only imagine what Princess might charge for a shuttle. We would also caution folks wanting to use the train that time is very important. There are usually trains (from Livorno) at 7:30, 7:43 and around 8:11. At that point there is usually 1 train an hour (at about 11 past the hour) although we do not know if there is even any train at 9:11. My point is that you want to make the 7:43 or 8:11 (we have made the 7:30 on a couple of ocassions) which means you do not want to be sitting on a shuttle bus as it waits next to the pier. So, for all you Florence fans, get off the ship very fast (try to be the first) walk quickly to the taxis, make it clear you want a taxi to take you to the station (Stazione) NOW, and get going!

Hank

Our recent experience agrees 100% with these comments. We were in the first group off, I was the first one to the taxis, did not waste a lot of time dickering about price (the guy said 25 eurs I said "Lets go"). This allowed us to make the 7:33 train so we were in Florence 30 minutes earlier. It was great seeing the Duomo without out a crowd in the square!

Kirk

Our recent experience agrees 100% with these comments. We were in the first group off, I was the first one to the taxis, did not waste a lot of time dickering about price (the guy said 25 eurs I said "Lets go"). This allowed us to make the 7:33 train so we were in Florence 30 minutes earlier. It was great seeing the Duomo without out a crowd in the square!

Kirk

You are a wise man. We tried giving this same advice to several cruisers (last year) who sought our advice and then decided to argue the point. They insisted it would be better if they took the cruise line shuttle bus ($5 per person one-way) into downtown Livorno and than grabbed the local bus up to the train station (another Euro). Well, we grabbed a taxi and made the 7:33 train. Those folks later told us they got off the ship around 8 and there was a shuttle bus on the pier. They got on the shuttle which sat at the pier until around 8:45 and finally took them into town, In the end, by the time they got to the train station the next train was not until just after 10 am, so they decided to not even bother going to Florence and spent their day in Lucca (not a bad alternative). In Livorno, the time to rush like a demon possessed is in the morning.....after which you can relax and try to enjoy the day.

Hank

Hlitner and Euro Cruiser.

Just went back and checked tickets from 2007 and 2008 and the regionale tickets clearly stated "Vale 24H Da Convalida". See also. Lower left side of the bottom image.

Could be that they have changed the rules. I'll make it a point to check at the end of September.

Kirk

Just curious - how much did you tip the taxi driver?

Hlitner and Euro Cruiser.

Just went back and checked tickets from 2007 and 2008 and the regionale tickets clearly stated "Vale 24H Da Convalida". See also. Lower left side of the bottom image.

Could be that they have changed the rules. I'll make it a point to check at the end of September.

I've just been digging around on the Trenitalia site to verify my four-hour comment and can't find it for tickets purchased other than on line. The on-line tickets clearly state four hours from validation.

I know I didn't dream this up, but I can't find it. The website does talk about 24 hours from validation, except for longer trains which have a six hour limit, and those that travel between two different regions, which have a four hour limit.

So maybe I was thinking of the cross-region trains? I'm not sure. My Italian is spotty, at best, and the detail in the Trenitalia site sometimes makes my head spin.

We visited Lucca from Florence in May this year and I am sure you are correct and that there is a four hour period during which you can complete the journey, again I have not got anything to actually prove the point but I know when we were on the train I said to our friends if we see anywhere on the way we could just get off and have a look around because the ticket was valid for a certain distance as well as time.

Euro, We do feel your pain in trying to get real accurate info on validation times. Perhaps there is somebody currently living in Italy who can shed some light on the current rule (we truly would love to know). On the other hand, we are talking about Italy so todays rule may well be tomorrow mornings history. My instincts tell me your 4 hour comment is probably right and the 24 hour validation makes no sense for a regional train.

Hank

Euro, We do feel your pain in trying to get real accurate info on validation times. Perhaps there is somebody currently living in Italy who can shed some light on the current rule (we truly would love to know). On the other hand, we are talking about Italy so todays rule may well be tomorrow mornings history. My instincts tell me your 4 hour comment is probably right and the 24 hour validation makes no sense for a regional train.

Hank

As I stated earlier, they may have changed it since 2007/2008. I will be taking a regional train on 10/1 and 10/16 and will make certain I save the tickets.

As I stated earlier, they may have changed it since 2007/2008. I will be taking a regional train on 10/1 and 10/16 and will make certain I save the tickets.

I heard you, and the web site backs you up. It's just confusing that there's all this other stuff about four hours and six hours for certain routes. I need to track down one of my Italian friends and ask them to interpret for me.

I heard you, and the web site backs you up. It's just confusing that there's all this other stuff about four hours and six hours for certain routes. I need to track down one of my Italian friends and ask them to interpret for me.

I have had two Italian friends interpret the phase for me. They both concurred that is was 'Valid for 24 hours after validation'. I seem to recall, and not to muddy the waters more, but a friend when we were in Italy said that it really meant valid until 24H after validation, which literally meant midnight - the 24th hour. Remember, the trains run on the 24 hour clock. There are so often things in Italian that do not translate easily into English. Quite often we see things that are really an idiomatic expression in Italian that are next to impossible to translate into English.

I don't mean to beat this to death, but it's one of those things that gets under my skin and irritates me until I figure it out.

I did find a mention on the Trenitalia web site, down deep in the "terms" that one accepts when purchasing a ticket. Here is what it says:

Validità – La validità oraria decorre dal momento della convalida del biglietto. Il viaggio deve concludersi entro 6 ore dalla convalida per viaggi fino a 200 km, entro 24 ore per i viaggi di chilometraggio superiore, salvo eccezioni previste dalle specifiche tariffe regionali.

I found this here: http://www.trenitalia.com/cms-file/allegati/trenitalia/normativa/4_Utilizzo_convalida_e_validita_dei_titoli_di_viaggio.pdf

I'm reading this phrase as valid for six hours for trips of less than 200 kilometers (about 125 miles).

I would LOVE to learn that I'm wrong about this - I could turn the trains into HOHO trains!

Regional tickets are good for four hours from the validation time stamp. Therefore, if you can get off and get back on another train that will get you to your destination before the four hours run out, you can do it. If the four hours runs out one stop prior to your destination, and you get caught, it's an expensive mistake, so be sure you know what you are doing.

My family and I did this last summer. We bought tickets to Lucca from Livorno, but got off in Pisa for a couple of hours. We arrived in Lucca about ten minutes before the four hours ran out, mostly because I got stupid and missed the train I wanted, and got stuck in that two hour mid-day window when there is no train to Lucca.

Thanks so much to all of you for the advice and info. It's been a great help and truly appreciated!

I would LOVE to learn that I'm wrong about this - I could turn the trains into HOHO trains!

I lived in Italy for three years, and have riden over 175 trains, I have never seen this subject come up before, W have gone from point A to point B numerous times, with 1-3 hour stops at point C & D, and have never had a problem. I think this discussion between seasoned Italy travelers is making much ado about nothing,

I did find a mention on the Trenitalia web site, down deep in the "terms" that one accepts when purchasing a ticket. Here is what it says:

Validità –

La validità oraria decorre dal momento della convalida del biglietto. Il viaggio deve concludersi entro 6 ore dalla convalida per viaggi fino a 200 km, entro 24 ore per i viaggi di chilometraggio superiore, salvo eccezioni previste dalle specifiche tariffe regionali.

I have a good translation to what you found. It says:

"The period of validity begins at the moment that the ticket is validated. Travel must be concluded within six hours of ticket validation for journeys of up to 200 km and within 24 hours for journeys of greater length, except where provided for by specific regional rates."

In any case. I do not think that this apples to any cruise ship passengers; and given that, this discussion should be terminateed. It is just us seasoned Italain travelers trying to decide what they are trully saying. In the end, it is really the conductor who will have the ultimate decision; should a decision be necessary.

GSP, you and I are probably the only ones who particularly care about this issue; however, now that we've raised it, I do have a parting suggestion on the topic.

Travelers should examine their paper tickets and look for a phrase that says "Vale _H da convalida", with the blank space being the number of hours that the ticket is valid after stamping. This will appear on the face of the ticket.

GSP, you and I are probably the only ones who particularly care about this issue; however, now that we've raised it, I do have a parting suggestion on the topic.

Travelers should examine their paper tickets and look for a phrase that says "Vale _H da convalida", with the blank space being the number of hours that the ticket is valid after stamping. This will appear on the face of the ticket.

I agree with you 100%.

Not to fear guys cause we also care :)

Hank

Just from briefly reading the message board, the suggested time to return to Livorno is on the 15:27 train, arriving 16:50. Also, it is suggested to make a run for it upon arriving at the Livorno train station to be one of the first in queue for a cab.

Instead, is it possible to take the 14:27 train to Pisa, arriving at 15:29? Then, transferring to a train headed for Livorno at 15:45, arriving at 16:01. Hopefully, there won't be as many people stampeding to get a cab. Will the conductor question my ticket as it is for Livorno - Florence return?

Thank you for your suggestions,

Chiqui

Instead, is it possible to take the 14:27 train to Pisa, arriving at 15:29? Then, transferring to a train headed for Livorno at 15:45, arriving at 16:01. Hopefully, there won't be as many people stampeding to get a cab. Will the conductor question my ticket as it is for Livorno - Florence return?

You shouldn't have any problem, you'll be well within the time window.

Archived