Which caribbean cruise

We've just been on our first cruise - five nights in the Mediterranean with Royal Caribbean - to see if we liked cruising. We did, so want to book a Caribbean cruise for our silver wedding anniversary at the end of next year. However, there are so many to choose from and just when I think I've made up my mind, I see something else or read a bad review. The main contenders are Princess, P&O and Celebrity as they all offer cruises including St Lucia (a must have). But they've all had their fair share of poor reviews too! Can anyone offer advice about choosing?

We have sailed to the Caribbean 4 times with Princess and have never had a bad experience. We have two more booked for November and June.

The Emerald Princess sails to St. Lucia and we find this class of ships to be very beautiful.

The international cafe is wonderful and highly recommended, as is the ultimate balcony dinner - a wonderful dinner served on your balcony, including flowers and and 8 X 10 photo of you and your spouse.

Muster on princess is held inside instead of out in the hot sun - pools are fresh water

Whatever you choose - welcome to the cruise addiction and Happy Anniversary!

We really the love the OPs nick (Hyacinth) since we are big fans of "Keeping up Appearances." However, we do hope the OP will understand that my true hero is Onslow which perhaps explains our love of cruising :) Since you are from the UK I will try and tender an opinion based on that fact. P&O is the only line you mentioned that caters specifically to UK tastes which generally does have an impact on the cuisine and sometimes the entertainment (you might get a UK comedian who will tell jokes you understand). We also think a major factor in choosing any cruise should not just be the cruise line, but should be the size of the ship. You can go on a 700 passenger Princess ship (we love smaller ships) or you can be on a ship with more then 3000 passengers. There are pros and cons to the size ship and its just personal preference. Celebrity is supposed to be a higher quality product from RCI but we honestly have been underwhelmed by their entertainment, and also think their food is somewhat overrated. We think that Princess is a great product, particularly in their larger ship categories. We also like Holland America (this is currently one of our favorite lines) which does seem to attract an older (often more sophisticated) crowd which can also be seen as a negative by younger folks.

Hank

Hi Hank

Thanks for your reply - I wasn't expecting anyone from the USA to get the 'Keeping up Appearances' reference! I've been put off P&O a little by some reviews - not of the ships, but of the passengers. That's when I started looking at Princess because I do like the 'American' experience. I suppose I'm looking for reassurance really. I'll also have a look at the Holland America Line - we've both just reached the big '50' and enjoy company of all ages, although we wouldn't consider ourselves as sophisticated - not yet, anyway!

Hyacinth (aka Elizabeth)

A cruise experience is so subjective...Take the complaints with a grain of salt. It often seems that more reviews are posted by those who were not satisfied (or want to be seen as so sophisticated that nothing satisfies). People who enjoyed themselves with no complaints seem not to post reviews, or even search out cruise forums to talk about cruising. If cruise lines consistantly delivered a substandard product, they would not stay in business. EM

I have to agree with the previous poster. I've been on 4 cruises to date, with a 5th one only 2 weeks away, and I've never had a bad cruise. Sure, a bad experience here or there, but never a bad cruise. I've read reviews from people on the same cruise as me, and they had all complaints, no positive points, then I read my review, and its full of positive points. A lot of people complain because they took a cruise 20 years ago, and now cruising isn't what it used to be. Well they're right, its not what it used to be. It's better. You have so much more choice on a cruise now than was offered 20 years ago. You have specialty restaurants, water slides, wave pools, rock walls, bowling alleys, several pools, etc etc. I'm sure you get the point. It all comes down to personal preference, and personal experiences. So beware when reading reviews, they are very helpful, but don't get hung up on the negative parts.

I HIGHLY recommend you look at cruises in the SOUTHERN Caribbean. There is so much more variety - touristy to undeveloped, flat to mountainous, beach resorts to rain forests - and the islands are close together. On a 7-day cruise, you'll hit a minimum of 4 ports, more likely 5.

Since you started with Royal Caribbean and liked it, why switch? RCL has two ships which go out of San Juan to sail to the southern island. I've sailed on both Adventure and Serenade and loved them both. For an anniversary, I'd recommend Serenade. We cruised on her just this past March and the ship attracts VERY few young children. It has a much more romantic and intimate feel that the mega-ships. I honestly think it would be ideal!

I loved Serenade so much, I've already booked her again for 2012!!

Hello Mrs. Bucket,

aka Elizabeth

Since your interested in the Caribbean and have already cruised RCCL you it might be worth your investigating another RCCL cruise. YOu might get Crown and Anchor perks!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Explorer of Seas sails to the Caribbean out of Bayonne NJ across from Manhatten and you can get a pre or post cruise stay in the City. It is a big ship 3000 + pax but you would never know so many on board accept for the parades in the Royal Promenade and perhaps pool areas on sea days. We have cruised RCCL, Princess, HAL, Radisson/Regent, Crystal etc. and really enjoyed the EOS. If you book a Grand Suite and above you get Concierge service, a private cocktail lounge and special pool area reserved seating plus the usual suite perks. Doesn't mean you have to do that as you will find plenty of space and the same service everywhere on board.

Just had to post to you as we are great fans of "Keeping Up Appearances" just laugh through the whole show..........love the cast............Onslow is a hoot along with Rose and everyone else. I have often wondered if Her Majesty watches the show....:>)!

WE have been on ships with as few as 300 pax and the mega liners. Enjoyed both venues but I have found over time that it really doesn't matter the amount of Pax as it is the itinerary/destination, excursions and your general attitude to have a great cruise experience.

Whatever you decide ..........you will have a great time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have to agree with the previous poster. I've been on 4 cruises to date, with a 5th one only 2 weeks away, and I've never had a bad cruise. Sure, a bad experience here or there, but never a bad cruise. I've read reviews from people on the same cruise as me, and they had all complaints, no positive points, then I read my review, and its full of positive points. A lot of people complain because they took a cruise 20 years ago, and now cruising isn't what it used to be. Well they're right, its not what it used to be. It's better. You have so much more choice on a cruise now than was offered 20 years ago. You have specialty restaurants, water slides, wave pools, rock walls, bowling alleys, several pools, etc etc. I'm sure you get the point. It all comes down to personal preference, and personal experiences. So beware when reading reviews, they are very helpful, but don't get hung up on the negative parts.

I loved this post because you are so right! We love all kinds of travel, but have somehow managed to spend about 2 years on various cruise ships (more then 50 different ships) over the years and have loved every cruise. We are talking everything from a 20 person yacht (believe me...it was no yacht) to 3500 passenger ships on budget lines and high-end luxury lines. We have seen people whine and complain on every cruise and quickly learn to avoid those folks. Some folks can let little things or one bad incident ruin their trip and that is their problem. The way we see it, we are paying a lot of money to be on a ship and we are sure gonna enjoy every moment.

Hank

Hi, Hya! These people are so experienced, and I agree that some reviews can turn the stomach....Hank says it all, really.

Have you thought about the travelling aspect? When we've been to the Caribbean, we've gone with a package from Princess, which goes from various airports in the UK, and cuts out the worries...and is generally cheaper than doing your own thing! We're looking at a P&O one, which actually flies from Doncaster....Princess does the same, on a few flights. As you post from Leicestershire, there will be some from B.ham, and E. Midlands, too. Princess and P&O were the same company until fairly recently, and are very similar...share crew and even ships- Royal Princess becomes P&O's Adonia next year.

Just another thought, if I can say without upsetting any of our US friends....it's sometimes better to fly to a non-USA port, as we aliens can struggle with immigration....took 2 hours in, and out at Fort Lauderdale once....Again, look at Princess/P&O to Barbados.If you're with their package, you'll stay on the ship until your flight has landed from the UK, sometime in the late afternoon. This can make a vast difference to your last day. If you do the trip on your own, you'll be off the ship by 10am or so.

Enjoy choosing!

Jo.

Jo, You might be shocked but this American agrees with you. Our USA immigration folks (called ICE) are a royal pain who waste their time worrying about cruise passengers as they let folks just walk across the border from Mexico. We cruise (and travel) all over the world (6 continents) and do our best to avoid Caribbean cruises that stop at St Thomas or San Juan because we hate the delays caused by our ICE folks. On the other hand, trying to change international flights between terminals at Heathrow is no fun! :)

Hank

Hank- we'll only use Heathrow if there's absolutely NO alternative....we stick to the tiny airports where you can watch your flight land, then stroll slowly out to it....

Not much fun in Amsterdam, either! :eek:

Jo.

If you cross off every ship that has bad reviews, you'll never cruise at all. I don't mean to be smarty-pants about it; I mean that seriously. Every single cruise line and every single ship have numerous bad reviews, numerous good reviews, and nearly all have at least some great reviews. I urge you to look at the overall, the style of the cruise line and ship(s), the itinerary, and (of course) the fare. Consider what suits you best and then book from there.

beachchick

Dear All

A big thank you to everyone who has responded to my post. All the advice has been very useful and I'm going to put it to good use. Also great to hear from USA fans of British comedy - I just hope my next cruise doesn't turn out like the real Hyacinth's!!!:D;)

Elizabeth R

Archived