Gratuity with My Time Dining

New to Royal Caribbean and I have searched this topic but I am still slightly confused. I do understand if you choose My Time Dining that you pre-pay your gratuity.

But does that mean you pay it when you pay your cruise fare, or they pre-charge it to your on-board account once on the ship?

And do they charge you ahead for all your tips (including your room stweard) or only for the staff affected by the dining room?

New to Royal Caribbean and I have searched this topic but I am still slightly confused. I do understand if you choose My Time Dining that you pre-pay your gratuity.

But does that mean you pay it when you pay your cruise fare, or they pre-charge it to your on-board account once on the ship?

And do they charge you ahead for all your tips (including your room stweard) or only for the staff affected by the dining room?

With MTD, you'll be charged for all tips when you make your final payment.

1) Yes, you pre-pay the gratuities when you pay cruise fare prior to boarding.

2) Yes, all of the tips are included.

I did this on my last cruise. I wanted My Time Dining (although only used it twice) and was charged tips in addition to my fare.

We prepaid our tips when we booked My Time Dining on our last cruise. I believe its mandatory to prepay gratuties when booking for this type of dining. The last night before our cruise we were given envelopes for the tips with the prepaid certificates that we could place in each envelope to give to Waiters, etc. It was up to the individual if they wished to place a larger tip in the envelope on the final evening of the cruise. We find it very convenient because we do not have to carry a large amount of cash or stand in line at the desk to get larger bills changed into smaller currency.

On a previous cruise, we were also given the option of having our gratuties added to our seapass account. We had regular late dining on that cruise. We were also given certificates to pass out in the customary envelopes on the last evening of the cruise with the option of placing extra cash in the envelopes if you wanted to add a larger tip. Hope this helps.

As others have mentioned, it's mandatory to prepay your gratuities when booking MyTimeDining.

On the next to the last day of your cruise, you will be given envelopes, and tip certificates. If you wish to pay any more to anyone that is on the prepaid list, just add cash to the envelope.

I was going to talk about also giving a tip to the concierge, but so many can't use his/her services, but if you do, they do deserve a tip.:)

Rick

It is mandatory to pre-pay tips but there are exceptions to this practice. We were part of a group and we didn't pre-pay but they were automatically added while on the cruise.

I think having to pre-pay tips with MTD is a discriminatory practice. We had ours added, as I said, and our head waiter was no where to be found when we sailed on Freedom the end of April, beginning of May. I would have liked to have moved his tip to the waiter, but with pre-pay there is no way to do so.

I also feel that it is discriminatory because every one else can choose how they want to tip--and I have to say, we normally do auto tip and then tip cash for the extra tips we want to give-- we have no choice. The reasoning from Royal Caribbean is that people on MTD eat at different tables, have different servers etc so the tips get divided up by where people had dinner.

I can understand that part of it, but what happens if we don't eat in the dining room? Who gets that tip? (I just want to emphasize that that we tip in full and more every cruise, even when we don't have dinner in the dining room. ) But, in regular dining we know "our" waiter was there to serve us. Who is "our" waiter on MTD?

It's not that I object to the tipping, as you can see I don't. I do resent having to pay in advance and the full amount when other passengers (at least in the USA) don't have to. I can understand if everyone had to pay in full in advance, but others don't so it seems unfair. Off my soapbox for now!

Ok so just so I understand this, when MTD is requested all gratuties are to be paid in advance which include stateroom gratuties also? But if we decide to wait until we board the ship will we be able to change our late dining to MTD? And be guaranteed a table? Sorry we are new to cruising and want to have all information before we board.

If you don't do MTD, you don't have to pre-pay tips. They have you do that, since you most likely won't have the same servers everynight. It's to make it easier on you, so you don't have to remember who served you each night, and try to find them to tip them!

If you prefer to tip in cash at the end, stick with traditional dining.

Your tips cover EVERYONE who serves you, whether you eat in the dining room or not....those folks in the WJ (who are rotated in and out throughout their contract) are getting tips from the dining room patrons, too. So, if everyone tips according to the plan, everyone is compensated.

Ok so just so I understand this, when MTD is requested all gratuties are to be paid in advance which include stateroom gratuties also? But if we decide to wait until we board the ship will we be able to change our late dining to MTD? And be guaranteed a table? Sorry we are new to cruising and want to have all information before we board.

MTD is very popular and it is highly likely that it will be sold out before your cruise starts (they only have a limited number of seats on one section of the dining room dedicated to MTD) so you could be unlucky and not get it at all.

If you definitely want MTD then get your TA to put you on it before your cruise and add the gratuities to your booking now.

Once you have MTD you can go on the website and book a table for a specific time every night of your cruise so you don't have to wait in line for a table.

As others have mentioned, it's mandatory to prepay your gratuities when booking MyTimeDining.

On the next to the last day of your cruise, you will be given envelopes, and tip certificates. If you wish to pay any more to anyone that is on the prepaid list, just add cash to the envelope.

I was going to talk about also giving a tip to the concierge, but so many can't use his/her services, but if you do, they do deserve a tip.:)

Rick

So what do you do with the prepaid voucher/envelope if you have my time dining? Whom do you give it to on your last day? In theory you could have different waiter every night with MTD.

Is it “understood” with all the wait staff at MTD section that everything is already taken care of and they won't be expecting any envelopes?

So you just give the voucher to the cabin steward and toss the rest?

If there is space available when you board the ship you can switch to MTD. Yes, at that time they would add pre paid gratuities. This is to insure all of the servers get their tips.

It is possible that they set aside a set number of tables in MTD to be able to accept bookings from passengers who wait until they board, but it isn't guaranteed. If you really want to experience MTD, I recommend booking it in advance. If they say it is full, check again once you board the ship in case there is last minute availability.

So what do you do with the prepaid voucher/envelope if you have my time dining? Whom do you give it to on your last day? In theory you could have different waiter every night with MTD.

Is it “understood” with all the wait staff at MTD section that everything is already taken care of and they won't be expecting any envelopes?

So you just give the voucher to the cabin steward and toss the rest?

The vouchers are only there for those that feel the need to hand something to their waiter and/or cabin steward. If you toss all the vouchers they will still get their money. As a matter of fact I've heard on some ships they aren't handing out the vouchers if you pre-paid your tips. Personally I hated handing out envelopes so love it this way. If someone goes above and beyond (like our cabin steward when my teens had their own cabin :eek:) they get handed cash and a big thank you for a job well done.

I can understand that part of it, but what happens if we don't eat in the dining room? Who gets that tip? (I just want to emphasize that that we tip in full and more every cruise, even when we don't have dinner in the dining room. ) But, in regular dining we know "our" waiter was there to serve us. Who is "our" waiter on MTD?

On our Independance of the Seas cruise, we went to customer service and indicated the nights we didn't eat in the dining room and asked if we could transfer those tips to our Stateroom attendant, Cynthia, as she was awesome! They said no. I asked where the money went then. They said to the Dining room staff....I indicated that we didn't eat there those nights, so who would it go to specifically? I didn't get a satisfactory answer, I think RCCL keeps it. :mad: Phooey! Oh well! I wouldn't go back to scheduled dining. MTD is the way for me! :D

My answers in red

What happens if you book fixed dining, and during the cruise want to change to my time dining? You can ask to be changed to my time dining and if it is not full they will move you. BUT this is a one off change

Or if you book fixed dining, can you some nights go to my time dining? No. If you are in fixed dining you cannot eat in the my time dining area of the restaurant. The tables there will be need for those people wanting a table who are on MTD

On our Independance of the Seas cruise, we went to customer service and indicated the nights we didn't eat in the dining room and asked if we could transfer those tips to our Stateroom attendant, Cynthia, as she was awesome! They said no. I asked where the money went then. They said to the Dining room staff....I indicated that we didn't eat there those nights, so who would it go to specifically? I didn't get a satisfactory answer, I think RCCL keeps it. :mad: Phooey! Oh well! I wouldn't go back to scheduled dining. MTD is the way for me! :D

I don't think you really mean that. :(.

All the tips are pooled and shared by all the waiting staff who may, or may not have atually served you.

All the tips are pooled and shared by all the waiting staff who may, or may not have atually served you.

Sorry to disappoint you...I meant it, Although I do hope I'm wrong... but... I indicated in my post that they did not provide me with a satisfactory answer. Customer Service on the ship could not provide me with any proof or written policy indicating where my prepaid, unallocated moneys were destined to go. If you have some documented information that RCCL customer service couldn't provide, could you please share it? I would hope that the staff receive these moneys, but I need written proof! :D Cheers!

The following tips are not included in MTD.... Drinks, spa services, room service and a tip to anyone else whom you feel went above and beyond the normal.. If our room stewards attitude and service is above normal we will tip in addition to the voucher. Take about $100 in one and two dollar bills for room service and shore excursion tipping.

Have Fun!

Earl & Kathy

Yes, tips are pooled. I'm sure you ate in some dining venue..Buffet area or wherever. Those who work there, serve in some capacity, so that is why the tips are there. I'm sure RCI does not keep the tips....There are many servers in many capacities.

Yes, tips are pooled. I'm sure you ate in some dining venue..Buffet area or wherever. Those who work there, serve in some capacity, so that is why the tips are there. I'm sure RCI does not keep the tips....There are many servers in many capacities.

I'm curious, why are you so sure?, when RCCL customer service employees couldn't produce a policy or documentation or fine print of any shape or form to prove that this happens As an employee of a major corporation, I know that every move and action is documented in some way or sort. Lack of said documentation to the customer raises an eyebrow. Again I hope I am wrong. Do you have a link to the policy? Please feel free to share it and I will eat my hat with pleasure! :D

I'm curious, why are you so sure?, when RCCL customer service employees couldn't produce a policy or documentation or fine print of any shape or form to prove that this happens As an employee of a major corporation, I know that every move and action is documented in some way or sort. Lack of said documentation to the customer raises an eyebrow. Again I hope I am wrong. Do you have a link to the policy? Please feel free to share it and I will eat my hat with pleasure! :D

Conversely,why are you so sure of your contrary position. If their word isn't good enough for you why would you believe any sort of "documentation" that they might provide to you. The very fact that you don't hear any complaints from the wait staff that they are being denied tips when you choose to dine in another venue, would seem reasonably good evidence that the tips you pay are going to the persons who are working in the dining room. If what you believe were to be true, I am sure some enterprising lawyer would have initiated a class action suit on the part of the aggrieved dining room personnel. If you are using this issue to justify not tipping the staff for those times when you dine elsewhere, I think you are really reaching.:rolleyes:

Archived