1 in 4 Married Couples Sleep in Separate Beds

TravelSmarty

Do you share a bed with your Husband/Wife?  

149 members have voted

1. 1. Do you share a bed with your Husband/Wife?

• Yes
    • No

....well now....that might not be as easy as you think.....i used to sleep like a rock...now married I have a continuous snoring that rocks the house...we've tried everything....mouth guard, he even went to the sleep institute and had an operation to help him breath better at night, his mouth guard hurts him and wakes him up....he's also a big guy, 6'4, I'm 5'2 110 lbs. and he's 240 lbs. so when he rolls over I go with him.

So.....I work all the time.....5 days a week demanding job and I have to get some sleep some time for Pete's sake!!! ;) Many times we start out together but I've never slept the whole night there and I can count of a wake up some time during the night.....

....we have a great marriage and read together before turning in so.....and it doesn't hurt our "married" life either. It's unfortunate but something we haven't gotten hold of....unfortuately! I suspect this might account for many of those "1 in 4" married people! :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

I thought that was an interesting article as well. I am curious as to the statistical validity of the study. What was the margin of error? Size of the sample population? How were they selected? One in four sounds a bit high to me, as the cultural norm in this country is for married/committed intimate partners to sleep in her same bed together.

This topic can easily be tied into cruising: What percentage of married/committed intimate partners have their cabin configured so that they sleep in separate beds/bunks?

So the focus is on a small minority (1 out of 4) and not on the pretty large majority (75 percent). This sort of story is frequently done with the intent to "educate us" about the minority, so we can respect and understand them better. But people who sleep in separate beds?

Got to read this with an analytical mind, not one that thinks 25% of people doing something is huge, earth shattering news. There are always going to be a number of people who aren't in the majority.

And yes, after 25 years of marriage this coming week, I very happily share the same bed the my very wonderful DW. No plans to change that!

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We share a bed, except when he falls asleep on the couch....I don't wake him...(he hits!!), so if and when he wakes and comes to bed, good....otherwise, it's good, too!

We've been happily married for 37 years...together longer than that! It's not the "sleeping" together that keeps you close!!!

• 2 weeks later...

since no one will say the don't - I am going to be honest and say that we sleep together every night - but when on cruise or any vacation we have taken, we sleep in separate beds. It does not mean we are not romantic - it just works for us and are happily married for 31 years.

• 1 month later...

I know a few couples who sleep in seperate beds....sometimes in separate rooms!!! (they are happily married, trust me)

Also, my parents sleep in separate beds on a cruise... it happened once by accident, and they liked how the beds apart gave some more usable room so now they ask for it.

I actually know what they are talking about. I went on my last cruise solo, and waking up I almost hit my head on the wall everyday trying to get out of bed.... had I gotten them taken apart, I could have just swung my legs to the side liek normal and not worry about my head hitting the wall....

actually, I tend to kick when I sleep too, and I think I even kicked the wall one night...

if I get married, I might also be one of those couples that has the beds apart!! ;)

I sleep from 11pm - 5:30am, the fiance sleeps from aprox 3am - 10pm (he works second shift). We have completely different patterns. Sometimes he'll fall asleep on the couch intentionally and wait until 5 to come up to bed so he won't disturb me. Sometimes if we are in the same bed we still have different covers because again, he doesn't want to disturb me and take the covers back, lol. If we had a bedroom to spare I'd be all for getting a different bed for him to sleep in since he also works on a dock and often has come into contact to things (ie chemicals) that bother my skin (I have very sensitive skin) and it's best we not share sheets.

In another relationship we had different covers on the same bed because my body heat would make him so warm he couldn't sleep. We also wanted different thickness of comforters/blankets to keep warm. He liked things much cooler. So in the end it worked out sleeping separately in our bed together (never sharing covers or sleeping directly together).

I have a friend that snores badly, so he often sleeps in a different bed and bedroom than his wife. They also have different sleeping patterns so it allows them to not have to worry about disturbing the other if they stay up till the wee hours of the morning. They do occasionally sleep in the same bed together, just not often.

The only time my husband and I have slept in seperate beds was actually on a cruise ship. On Monarch of the Seas in a regular OV cabin, there was no floor space if we didn't have the beds seperate.

Then we discovered the Superior OV cabins on that ship...problem solved.

Together 30 years now, would not think of sleeping seperately.

Archived